Life

Unbelievable Summer in Sydney

December. It’s when summer starts in Australia. The sweltering heat. The blue skies. The occasional thunderstorm to cool things down. The beautiful beaches.

Except. It’s nothing like summer at the moment. 8 days into the season and I’m still wearing my jacket and cardigans. I’m still longing for hot food to warm me up. I’m still wearing my winter pyjamas to bed. And I’m still yearning for those blue skies and the beach. I still haven’t been able to get that gorgeous tan I start to get around this time of the year.

Because…it is so not summer. It’s cold and rainy and wet. The temperature today is 21 degrees. Over the last three days it was ranging from 15 to 19 degrees. And apparently this is going to continue into next week as well.

I am so sick of it. I thought the whole world was taking about global warming — isn’t that supposed to mean the world is getting warmer? [Forgive my ignorance…I haven’t paid much any attention to the debate] So how do you explain freezing temperatures in summer? Explain that you climate change experts. I am even more disgruntled because my friends and I had planned on having our pre-Christmas Christmas [yes, we do that] this coming weekend by the beach with a picnic and everything. And now that’s ruined. Along with the plan of getting a tan.

So if anyone tells me the world is getting hotter…beware. I will physically hurt you. [I am in that mood thanks to lack of sunshine!]

Abhishek Sikdar
    December 8, 2011 at 5:47 am

I’m still not used to the fact that it’s summer in December in Australia. (Stupid hemispheres.)

Prateek
    December 8, 2011 at 5:57 am

I was 8 years old when my dad went on a tour of Australia. He came back and told me that Australia is the only place where people celebrate Christmas in sunlight.

December 8, 2011 at 8:13 am

Hehe…it took me a little while Abhishek but I’m used to it now! 😀 I have a friend who is originally from Italy and she loves her white Christmases so much that every year she goes back there in December…

phatichar
    December 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

hehehe…nice.

Jake
    December 8, 2011 at 10:03 am

Ok since I have been warned let me put on my body armor first ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Ok :), now from what I know the fact that there are weird climate shifts all over the world (like the summer arriving late for Australia) are symptoms of global warming, in short global warming manifests itself by throwing the climate out of wack … at least that’s what I have heard.

bookslifenmore
    December 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

Oho!!! It is global warming only. The only difference is that we in India are being warmed up unnecessarily specially in winters & u in Australia shud be warmed up but are being frozen so basically everything is going haywire 😛

December 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yes…we have Christmas by the beach. Or at least we used to. Although, it’s not the only place — it’d be the same in New Zealand, Prateek…

December 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

🙂

December 8, 2011 at 11:11 am

Good thing you put on that armour…see…this is what I don’t get about global warming Jake…it’s like an undefeatable arguement. Weather patterns out of whack have happened before…it wasn’t global warming. Maybe it’s just a trend…? Just saying.

December 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

Damn this weather…so you guys are warm up there now…I’d willing swap! 😛

Bikram
    December 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm

come over to UK its getting so chilly heree .. I am willing to swap places what say

🙂

Bikram’s

Jake
    December 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I agree with that, there have been numerous times in the past when the climate of the planet changed drastically.
    The last age occurred without any help from humans (although there is evidence to suggest that a meteor crashing into earth might have caused it). But one thing is for sure …CO2 warms the atmosphere ..that is a basic law..the question is how much of the CO2 is being put out by human beings ?. There are arguments on both sides although most scientists agree we are causing it. I am not an expert on climate science …so the only choice I have is to read what the experts say and hope they telling the truth.

Chandrikashubham
    December 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Interesting style of writing and interesting topic. 🙂
    Enjoyed reading this post. 🙂

Ava
    December 8, 2011 at 4:49 pm

It is still hot here in Chandigarh.  We should be wrapped in woollies by now.  We are still struting around in summer stuff.  Its weird.

December 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm

No way dude! I hate the cold Bikram…even Sydney winterss are horrible for me…I need my sun!

December 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Yeah I have heard that there are still sceptics despite all the experts out there. And I recently learnt about the CO2 bit after we became the first nation to start paying a carbon tax from july next year. Oh well, as you said we can only hope the scientists are right!

Kunal
    December 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Its actually opposite on this side of the earth. 😛
    Its cold,but not as cold as it is supposed to be. There has been no snow..yet…where, the last year it started snowing 2 weeks earlier. Strange climate change everywhere.  November was supposed to be cold and wet. Instead it was mild cold and dry..Sigh…

This side of the earth…I meant…middle europe..

December 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

Hmm…it really is weird, Kunal! We almost had something like summer and then there were storms today…

Dee
    December 13, 2011 at 5:45 am

Long time lurker, first time to comment cos…God!!! Do I hear you!!! Feel like I have been waiting for over a year for summer….oh wait a minute I HAVE!!!

December 14, 2011 at 8:41 am

Welcome here Dee! It’s been too long since summer…I totally know where you are coming from!!! Fingers crossed we get some heat and blue skies soon…

Scribbyscribs
    December 27, 2011 at 5:55 am

hope the summer has dawned on you now?

December 27, 2011 at 8:51 pm

It took a peek on Christmas day Scribby and then seems to have disappeared again. Sigh…