Out and About

Theatre time: Lord of the Flies

I went to watch Lord of the Flies at the New Theatre yesterday with the Sister and my friend C. Having read the book last year and then watching the movie, I jumped at the chance of watching the play. And I wasn’t disappointed. It was brilliant to see just how the story was enacted. For those not in the know, the gist is that a group of boys are stranded on an island following a plane crash. There are no adults around and they have to fend for themselves. While things start off well, it soon becomes obvious that without rules and consequences, a society can disintegrate to the point of murder.

The actors playing the parts were amazing. I thought the actor playing Jack was especially brilliant as you do dislike him just like in the book. My favourite character in the book was Simon and the actor didn’t disappoint either. There were moments when I had tears in my eyes…a thing that didn’t occur when I watched the movie. That to me, shows that the actors got the essence of their characters and brought it across to the audience really well. I highly recommend going and watching it if you are in Sydney. It’s on till the 12th of May.

Nikita Banerjee Bhagat
    April 30, 2012 at 3:53 am

I studied this book in my literature course and vividly remember the entire book. You are lucky to have watched a play that is so close to the book. Thanks for sharing this!

Psych Babbler™
      April 30, 2012 at 5:33 am

Glad to be able to share this Nikita…and yes, the book is brilliant but the movie was so-so. It was great that the play stayed so true to the book using symbolism for things that couldn’t be shown explicitly.

Swaram
    April 30, 2012 at 5:04 am

Not many movies do that justice to the book. Am glad this one is different. Hope I get to watch it sometime 🙂

Psych Babbler™
      April 30, 2012 at 5:34 am

The movie has been out ages ago Swar…I’m sure you’ll get to rent it from your local video store. I watched a play which I thought was better than the movie. Hope that answers the question to your other comment too…the movie wasn’t bad but it didn’t evoke the same emotions in me as the book and the play.

Magali
    April 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I have read about the book but not read the book itself! Sounds nice!

Psych Babbler™
      April 30, 2012 at 11:03 pm

You should read the book Mags…evokes a lot of questions and really moves you too. It can be disturbing in some areas but still very powerful!

Roshan
    April 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm

remember being really moved by the book.. haven’t seen the movie so can’t comment on that..

Psych Babbler™
      April 30, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Yeah the book is quite powerful Roshan…and I agree that it moves you!