Life

Online Dating

When you work in a female-dominated industry like I do, meeting a potential partner at work can be hard. So I’m thinking of trying my hand at online dating on two of the most popular sites in a few months. Let’s face it…there’s no other way for me to meet men!

I don’t do nightclubs.

I don’t go to many parties.

My friends with partners could perhaps set me up but it will be a small sample.

Even when I do change my gym from the women’s only to the normal one, the chances are next to nothing. Because when I work out, I look like a hag.

A place I frequent is the library or the beach or the shopping centre. Not great pick-up places. [Even though I have been picked up at the library years ago!]

So for a person who spends a lot of time with her cats or her friends or at work and especially in front of the computer, what better way to try and meet someone?

Online dating it’s going to be.

Have you got any stories to share about online dating? Good or bad?

Do tell!

R's Mom
    April 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

Gah! I shouldnt even be commenting on this post…I have no experience what so ever…I have never dated ANY guy in my life..the only one was the one I had an arranged marriage with, and all the dating was post engagement..is that even dating??

All the best though.. 🙂

April 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

Lol RM…it wasn’t meant exclusively for those who dated! 🙂 Post-engagement dating? I think that exists!

Reema
    April 18, 2012 at 10:20 am

all the best 🙂 D and I met on orkut! 😀

April 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

Thanks Reema…I’m not relying on orkut (don’t even have it now!) or FB…going to try a couple of dating sites that exists here that are constantly advertised and a little bit more reliable than some other dating sites.

Avada Kedavra
        January 26, 2013 at 7:08 am

I know many couples who met on orkut or on yahoo chat rooms etc

January 26, 2013 at 7:54 am

Hmm…so there is hope! 🙂 I know some here who met via online dating sites like RSVP or EHarmony. We’ll see what happens. At the very least, it opens up a whole avenue of people you probably would never meet otherwise

Lilly LillysLife
    April 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

I haven’t but my friend has. She is now living with an Italian guy who owns a vineyard in WA. They have been together for about a year. She had to go out a with a few different guys though and meet a few frogs. Always remember to meet them in a public place first. I say, go and do it because you wont know until you try. My daughter had the same issue. Where do you meet people when you work so much. Let us know how it goes. I sound like your mother!

April 18, 2012 at 11:03 am

Hehe Lilly…you do sound like my mum! 🙂 A psychiatrist at work met his wife via rsvp as well so I guess it does work eventually. But yeah, will definitely meet in a public place and if possible, during the day! I think the fear for women going for these is the chance of psychopaths!

Susan Deborah
    April 18, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hmmmmmmm. I guess there are many online blogging communities where you could hang out and find like-minded people.
    Have you given any thought to an arranged marriage at all?
    I have met many men online with whom I ticked but I’ve never met them in real so cannot say. I guess it all depends on what you’re looking for. And, online is the best place for any kind of dating. Time will have to say on the lasting part.

All the best in your venture.

Joy always,
    Susan

April 18, 2012 at 11:05 am

The online blogging communities are a possibility I suppose Susan but I was thinking of actual dating sites.

Never going in for an arranged marriage. I’d rather remain single the rest of my life! I’m not even necessarily looking for marriage…that will be a bonus I suppose. I’d be perfectly happy with a defacto relationship.

Thanks for the wishes!

Smita
    April 18, 2012 at 11:20 am

na! no experience!! But I can wish you good luck 🙂

thebritishasianblog
    April 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’ve never been to any online dating sites, but you may like my recent encounter with a pretty girl at a Asian Wedding here in the UK.

That said, a place which you can try is weddings – they are plenty of people there.

April 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Welcome here TBAB! I agree that weddings are good places…but that means waiting for two of my closest friends here to get married…which doesn’t look to be any time soon. In the mean time, I guess I can give online dating a shot! 😀

Bikramjit
    April 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Right .. jsut be safe thats all i will say .. My experience was not that great .. the lady in question was having it off with another one tooo .. wasted 4 years of my life 🙂

Just be safe and take care simple use common sense thats all

All the best

Bikram’s

April 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Oh definitely Bikram! I tried it once before but never ended up going on any dates because I was too chicken. Public space during the day is the way to go! And will definitely check out if they are two-timers or not! Sorry to hear about your experience…

celestialrays
    April 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I am so excited for you 😀

When you are chatting with the guy, very innocently and subtly, even without him realising what you are getting at, find out when was his profile picture taken before you decide to meet him 🙂

I have heard of people putting up pics of a very ‘young’ age 😀

Do blog about the funny guys. Would love to read!

April 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Thanks Rays! Haha…yes I’ve heard of that profile picture thingy. In my case as well, I don’t think I’ve had my photo taken any time this year! 😛

Magali
    April 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Good Luck with this. I joined a local dating website because the PR people asked me to check it out (& I was curious! :D). It was an interesting experience.

April 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Thanks Mags! Did you blog about your experience? Because if so, I must have missed it…

Scribby
    April 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

No online dating experience first hand but online marriages that 3 of my friends have had I’m seeing them happy since years down the line now… 🙂 I think they do work !

Good Luck 🙂

what’s with the weight loss regime? How is it coming along? long time no see..I’ve to catch up on your old posts too…I’m on way..shall reach there soon 🙂

April 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Online marriage as in shaadi.com??? Not doing anything like that Scribby! 😀

Weight loss is a bit stagnant. Lost about 3 kilos since joining the gym but it’s kinda remained at that…I have lost inches though as some of my clothes are a bit looser…

Scribby
    April 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm

hey I just voted for you,hope you win,good luck ! Would wait for 10th may 🙂

Nilu
    April 18, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Did a lot of online chatting…no actual dating. But that is how I chanced upon my husband. We met once when he came to India, the next time he came was for our wedding! So it has been a terrific 10 years now…so good luck!

April 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I guess in this day and age of technology, that’s one of the best ways of meeting people, eh Nilu? Good to hear your story! Nowadays though, chatting has kinda disappeared with FB and all…and there’s no way I’ll add strangers to my FB!

Maddie
    April 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm

No experience…but all the best and be careful…may be we can get to read your experiences?? 🙂

Makk
    April 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Well, will be looking forward for your experiences.

I wonder if in India there any Dating sites, I mean reliable one.

Sid the Gnome
    April 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm

My husband and I met online. Been married ten years.

Avada Kedavra
    April 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm

One of the best ways of meeting someone would be through a common friend I guess.. that way you are sure that the other person is not a psycho.. never tried online dating.. but have heard many people get married that way and they are pretty happy too..

April 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm

True Ava but it’ll be a small sample for me here. Online increases the pool. Especially if one isn’t drop-dead gorgeous…you need to try from a bigger pool! 😛

Erika
    April 23, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Online dating is the way to go! That’s how I met my bf of over two years. If you need some help with it, don’t hesitate to contact me. 🙂 Good luck! Erika http://www.alittlenudge.com

April 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

Welcome here Erika and thanks for the comment. Will contact you if required…

Speed Dating Bristol
    May 26, 2012 at 7:25 pm

You’re doing well, coz people better NOT get boyfriends in the night club, I don’t know a single case when it worked out. And watch out, there can be creepy guys online:) Maybe you should look at some friend of a friend?

Dating Diary – First edition | Over Cups of Coffee
    January 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm

[…] anyway, I’m not sure if some of you remember me writing last year about trying out online dating. Well, I have been. By that I mean I subscribed and I went on one date last year in July with a guy […]

Dating Diary - First edition - Living my Imperfect Life