Kitty Kapers

I made the decision…

…to not get the other kitty home.

Last night before going to bed, I wrote down the amount of money I spend on the cats. And while day-to-day stuff like food and flea treatments or even a yearly vet visit for a vaccination are not that much, it is the unknown illnesses that could take a toll. I still wasn’t convinced and was oscillating between yes and no all night. There were times I was imagining having the third cat and all being well. There were other times I was seeing numbers [bills] in my head.

While I got mixed responses from you my dear readers, two people in my life [my friend, N and my sister] both thought I shouldn’t go ahead with a third cat. My sis because she knows my finances. My friend because she thinks there might be something else underlying the need to get the third cat [Damn psychologists!]

In the end, it was Pebbles and Buttons who helped me make the decision.

Buttons came into the toilet with me this morning and decided to sit on my lap and play. Yes, they do that. Although Buttons has never sat on my lap when on the toilet. [Unlike Pebbles]. And then later, Pebbles was her cheeky loveable self sitting on my laptop. And I thought I couldn’t put them through any stress even if it was temporary. Pebbles particularly has had a stressful year with the introduction of Buttons and the break up of the relationship. And more importantly, I thought about finances as far as vet bills were concerned. As much love as I have and want to give the kitties, if there are medical issues that are unexpected [remember Pebbles’ sore paw and ringworm infection earlier this year and Buttons’ possible cat flu?], I thought it would be unfair to all the three cats if I’m unable to afford proper vet care.

So I texted the rescue lady and informed her. She is sure the little girl will find a home. All I hope is that it’s a loving one.

And maybe another 7 to 10 years down the track when I’m hopefully a little better off financially, I can get a couple more cats.

But as of now, it’s just the three of us.

Thank you all for your patience and your comments! I truly appreciate it all!

• Aathira Nair
    July 1, 2012 at 4:00 am

Totally with you on this.. taking a pet is so much responsibility. So if finances is where you are doubtful about… then this is the best decision 🙂

• Psych Babbler™
      July 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Thanks Aathira…a hard decision to make but hopefully, the right one in current circumstances

• Srinidhi
    July 1, 2012 at 4:20 am

I have begun to live alone for a while now. I realised how basic finances are expensive you know. Something that didnt strike me earlier cause it was all not coming out of my wallet. But I admire how you rescue these kittens. The kind heart of yours makes you want to bring another one home and love it endlessly.

We have a dog, as you know, and I always wondered what would happen if we got another one home. She has always been the centre of our attention. So I can imagine the thoughts you had. 🙂

I am glad you reached a decision. 🙂

Give a kiss to pebbles and buttons from me 🙂

• Psych Babbler™
      July 6, 2012 at 11:16 pm

The division of attention probably would have been an issue too Nids. Especially since it’s just one of me unlike your dog who has your family. 🙂 Honestly though, if I had more money, I probably would be rescuing more kitties. There are so many out there it’s tragic! And Pebs and Buts send meows back… 🙂

• Lazy Pineapple
    July 1, 2012 at 5:22 am

Having a pet is a huge responsibility and can have a considerable impact on your budget. Glad you have buttons and pebbles to keep you company..

• Psych Babbler™
      July 6, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Thanks LP…hard decision but given current circumstances, hopefully the right one

• Ash
    July 1, 2012 at 6:04 am

Aw 🙂 maybe some years down the line, you can take another one in… i hope this little one finds a good home 🙂

• Psych Babbler™
      July 6, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I hope she finds a good home too and yes, hopefully, another 10 years or so I can get a couple more!

• Maddie
    July 1, 2012 at 7:55 am

Good girl! Totally with you on this. 🙂 And I agree with your friend N. Maybe you should have a long talk with her 🙂

• Psych Babbler™
      July 6, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I knew you would be pleased with my decision Maddie… 🙂

• Bikramjit
    July 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

Well you took a decision GOOD 🙂

Pets is a BIG responsibility as others have said.. as they are ALIVe too ..

so take care of urself and keep smiling

Bikram’s

• goingbeyondthepages
    July 1, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I agree with you on this. I read the last post though not commented on it. Pets are like family and one does not bring them in their home until ready to take full responsibility. So I am glad you took this decision.

• Charleen
    July 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’m sure it was a tough decision, but it sounds like it’s for the best. Pebbles and Buttons are SO ADORABLE in that picture!

• Psych Babbler™
      July 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Welcome here Sharleen! And yes, it was a difficult decision but hopefully, it’s for best!

%d bloggers like this: