Humour

Cat-people versus Dog-people

Between Minds: Cat People vs. Dog People Infographic from Mindjet

Why does there even have to be a battle between the two? Let’s explore it a bit further, shall we?

I was always a dog-person. Ever since I got scratched by a cat at age 3. [Yes, I probably was annoying it trying to get it to play with me]. Dogs and I shared a wonderful relationship [barring one dog that chased me]. I remember growing up and befriending all the stray dogs on my street back in India. I would also joke with my mum [who was not a fan of them] how they knew she was my mother and hence followed her when she went for her morning walks.I always wanted a dog…even until a few years ago.

However, I decided to settle for a cat given that I live in a unit and really wanted a pet. My record with fish wasn’t too good. I had heard enough stories about cats being aloof and independent and not giving a shit about humans. But the want of a pet outweighed that. Never once did I think though that I would fall so much in love with cats. But Pebbles changed that.

Now I love cats…but the more dog-like ones. The ones that follow you around and wait to greet you at the door. The ones that give you kisses and sit next to you on the couch. The ones that knock on the toilet door every time you are on it to keep you company. The ones that snuggle up with you on the bed. And wake you up by breathing on your face and give the occasional licks. Sure, it’s not as slobbery as a dog’s lick. It’s more like soft kisses. 😀

But when I say I like both cats and dogs, some people find it hard to believe, Because apparently, the twain don’t mix! Apparently, you are either a dog lover or a crazy cat-lady [because the assumption is that blokes don’t like cats?] ***Rant moment: I take offense to the ‘crazy cat-lady’. Honest. Why is it that a person can have three to four dogs and not be labelled crazy dog-person but the minute you have more than two cats, you go to the dark side of crazy cat-lady? End rant***

Recent research though seems to have found that cat-people and dog-people do indeed have different personalities. And based on that, I’m probably more of a cat-person. I’m introverted. Definitely neurotic. But at the same time, I’m highly conscientious. Hell, I’m known for that at work!

Can we please stop the cat-person versus dog-person fight?

For people who live in units, cats are very convenient. They still give you all the love and affection in the world but can be independent too. Plus, you don’t have to walk them on a cold winter night! Some day I would probably still like a dog [some day = when I live in a house!]. But for now, I’m very content with cats. To the point where I still keep thinking of rescuing another little lovely.

I dare you to call me crazy cat-lady. *glares*

Till then, I’ll leave you with these adorable pictures of my babies:

Sleepy babies

R's Mom
    September 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

For some reason, this post made me smile..and the photo is super cute…but honestly, I am neither a dog person nor a cat person…I am equally scared of both 🙂

September 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm

RM, you definitely have to come over here to get over your fear of cats. My mum doesn’t like cats or dogs but after 2 and a bit weeks with my babies, she cried when she had to leave them. 😛 She was smitten and I’m sure you will be too…

R's Mom
    September 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

September 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Magali Vaz (@magali_c)
    September 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I think the debate is ridiculous! I LOVE cats, though I can’t keep one. Mom loves dogs more. I remember one of my friends (who incidentally hated cats) telling me that if you answer ‘cat’ during an interview question of what’s your favorite pet, it can be taken badly. But I don’t care.
    Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. Don’t get why everyone has to keep judging & casting aspersions on other people’s choices. Also I know what you mean about the crazy cat lady part. Many people I know (bloggers, mostly) use the term crazy cat lady or just card lady one themselves. They are crazy about cats, right? I think that takes some of the power out of it. As far as stereotypes go, in my book cat lady is an endearing one. 🙂

September 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm

See Mags…that’s the bit I don’t get. That if you answer ‘cat’ as your favourite pet, it’s not considered a positive thing. Why is that? They are all animals in the end and loveable in their own way. As someone messaged me on twitter in response to this post…they are a “fur-baby” and have both dogs and cats and love them equally. I do like the reframe of crazy cat lady into crazy about cats. Sadly, majority of the population unlike you, still thinks of it in negative terms.

Magali Vaz (@magali_c)
    September 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

September 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Kim McDang
    September 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm

To be honest, cats kind of scare me. The way they quietly creep around and give you evil stares. Maybe I’m meeting the wrong cats :S
    Your cats sound way nicer!

September 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm

You have got to meet my cats Kim…Pebbles is a scaredy cat and wouldn’t be capable of giving anyone evil stares…and Buttons is too lazy to bother. 😛 Plus they are both always curious about anyone who visits and don’t take long to warm up to them. Very social kitties…like I said, I’m a changed woman! 🙂 Oh and they play fetch…

Kim McDang
    September 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Your cats sound way nicer!

September 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm

September 21, 2012 at 2:20 am

🙂 I have a friend who has both a cat and a dog at home. And she/her family love both the pets so much.

Sweet sweet photo that one, PB. Love how they look so affectionate with each other.

September 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm

There we go…there are people who keep both and love both. Someone commented on twitter that they are a fur-baby…that’s what I probably am too! 🙂

September 21, 2012 at 2:20 am

September 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Swaram
    September 21, 2012 at 3:52 am

Awww they are adorable 🙂

Swaram
    September 21, 2012 at 3:52 am

Awww they are adorable 🙂

starsinmeyes
    September 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

They are truly lovely. Nice to see the new additions! We have feline vistors twice a day too…they are wild and won’t let us touch them….but it’s so satisfying to have them on our balcony (we’re on the ground floor)…named them Padma and Parvati after the Patil twins 🙂 I agree abt the cat/dog thing….I love both…and talk lots to the dogs in our building…they’re much more interesting than their owners 🙂

September 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thanks for dropping by Starry. Missed you here. And yes, my babies are gorgeous 🙂 The wild cats definitely don’t like being touched…we have some running around our workplace and they scamper away the minute you near them. Unlike my two who follow me around everywhere! And yay to someone else who loves both animals…

starsinmeyes
    September 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

September 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm

theconjecturegirl
    October 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Hey Crazy cat lady! [runs – fast]

theconjecturegirl
    October 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Hey Crazy cat lady! [runs – fast]

Sandie from Sydney
    October 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I am definitely a cat person, and yet I adore my daughter’s fluffy white dog – and she adores me too 🙂 I fit most of the characteristics of the cat person profile and yet like you I am very conscientious as well. And yes, I hate the cat-dog wars! Thanks for a most interesting post.

October 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Welcome here Sandie! Thanks for your comment…you are yet another person who shows it’s easy to love both cats and dogs! Welcome to the club! 😀

Sandie from Sydney