Life

Dinner with five

If you could choose 5 people to dine with, who would they be? I was talking to my friend and colleague, M about this today. And it’s interesting the choices one can come up with. Of course, after the chat with her, I realised I just had to blog about it. And it got more creative on the drive back home.

5 living people I’d like to have dinner with:

1. Adam Gilchrist: If you are new to this blog, you’re forgiven for wondering why [You can check out these posts to learn more]. If you are a regular, you must have known this was coming. There’s so much I’d like to ask him. Where he got his integrity and honesty from? What’s it like to walk in a game where winning is of sole importance? [Even though I’ve read his version of it] What’s it like being the nicest guy in the cricketing world? What was it like to beat India in India as captain? And would he leave his wife and hook up with me instead?
  2. Steve Waugh: Given that Steve Waugh was my very first favourite cricketer and a very respectable man, I would definitely want him at my dinner with 5. The charity work he does in India and here in Australia is also commendable and only heightened my respect for the man back when he played cricket. I’d like to talk him more about his red rag [again, I’ve read it but want to talk about it] and his charity work and of course, cricket.
  3. J. K. Rowling: This woman is an inspiration. I admire her for battling depression, the death of her mother and financial trouble all while being a single parent and then coming up with the best book ever: Harry Potter. She brought reading back into the lives of many. And introduced us to a whole new world. With new terms like muggles and quidditch which are part of the vocabulary for those in the in-crowd. I’d love to talk to her about her books, her battle with depression, her dealing with grief. And put across my point as to why Harry Potter is not just a kid’s book and see what she thinks.
  4. Jodi Picoult: She is another author I admire. I would love to talk about where she gets the ideas for her novels. More importantly, I would like to ask her if she has managed to take a side in those novels that have different narrators and differing points of view. Does she ever cry during or after writing her books? Especially My Sister’s Keeper? And why did she let Hollywood change the ending of the book for their movie?
  5. Stephen Fry: I know I don’t talk about him in my blog but I do admire him. He is funny, witty and so bloody intelligent. I could hear him talk all day long. There is just something mesmerising in the way he describes events. I really need to get my hands on his autobiography. I’d love to also ask him about his struggles with bipolar disorder. Plus, like me, he is opposed to organised religion and I would love to engage in that conversation. Religion always has me on my soap box.

5 dead people I’d like to have dinner with (if they could come back alive for a day):

1. Enid Blyton: My journey into reading started with her. And for that, I am ever so grateful. I have loved venturing into lands with brownies, pixies, fairies and goblins, lands that are on top of trees or where you can get to on a magical chair. At the same time I loved solving the mysteries and yearned for a dog, and wished every boarding school was like Malory Towers or St. Clare. Even now, as a 28 year old, I love to re-read her books and get back to those lands. Basically, reliving my childhood.
  2. Albert Ellis: He’s a psychologist and only passed away recently (2007). Ellis developed Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy which is a very directive form of therapy. Some colleagues don’t really like Ellis’ approach but for me, I reckon he had a point. For instance, he would directly challenge irrational beliefs. He was one to come up with shame attack tasks. Apparently, he sat in a restaurant with a teddy bear and had dinner and ordered for the bear too. I’d love to chat with him about it all. I’d highly recommend his book ‘A Guide to Rational Living‘. Written in lay terms, it’s for anybody and everybody.
  3. Sir Don Bradman: One of the greatest cricketers of all time. What I really want to know is what exactly he felt when he got out for that infamous duck. Is that too mean?
  4. Helen Keller: I remember learning about her in primary school and was awestruck. But how quickly we forget. Hopefully, having dinner with her might help me understand how she lived her life and thereby help me stop whinging about every small problem in mine!
  5. Sigmund Freud: Yes, yes. So he was the founder of psychology/psychiatry. But he had issues! Blaming everything on women and mothers. Bah! I would invite him just to watch Ellis shred him to bits with his tongue. 🙂

5 fictional characters I’d like to have dinner with:

1. Ron Weasley: Why? Because he’s funny and he’s my favourite character from the series. I love him!
  2. Hermione Granger: No, not because she and Ron get together in the end. But because she’s intelligent, strong, and can hold her own among the boys. A true role model for young girls out there.
  3. Sheldon Cooper: I could be taking a risk here given he might dominate the entire conversation or may talk about sub-atomic particles that go way beyond me…but I love Sheldon and he’s so very entertaining!
  4. Chandler Bing: Could he be any funnier? I’ve loved Chandler since I first watched FRIENDS. How could my dinner party not have him there? Imagine him and Sheldon in a show-down… 😆
  5. Fox Mulder: What can I say? He’s hot. He’s got a very dry sense of humour. He’s hot. He breaks the rules. He’s hot. He believes in extra-terrestrials but is not completely whacko. And did I say he’s hot?

So there you go! That would be my dinner party. Now if I could even get one of them to come over, how awesome would that be?!

What about you my dear readers?

If you could choose 5 people in each of those categories, who would you choose?

Swaram
    September 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

Woww … this is interesting 🙂

Swaram
    September 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

Woww … this is interesting 🙂

September 26, 2012 at 12:50 am

Super post. I am going to spend the day imagining Sheldon and Chandler in conversation. What fun that would be!

P.S: Do invite me along when you get Sheldon and Chandler together, ok?

September 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oh T…of course you’d be invited to dinner with Chandler and Sheldon. Can’t not have you!

September 26, 2012 at 12:50 am

P.S: Do invite me along when you get Sheldon and Chandler together, ok?

September 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm

penandpeplum
    September 26, 2012 at 7:00 am

I’m surprised… only two cricketers in your first list PB? 😛
    Great post! But can you imagine the conversation between Freud and Ellis??? Hours of entertainment!

September 26, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Welcome here PnP! Yes…only two cricketers. Can’t have a whole team! 😉 I think Ellis v Freud would be brilliant to observe! 😀

penandpeplum
    September 26, 2012 at 7:00 am

I’m surprised… only two cricketers in your first list PB? 😛

September 26, 2012 at 3:01 pm

R's Mom
    September 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I loved this post….do you know RD has a picture of himself with Adam Gilchrist…I should send that to you hehehe 🙂 yaa..RD told me he is an amazing fellow…I love Steve Waugh as well..

and oh JK Rowling and Enid Blyton…awesome list

September 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Oh RM, I have a picture of me with Gilly too. Met him in 2008. Yes, I agree with RD re him being down to earth. I also think he’s extremely good looking even in real life. 🙂

R's Mom
    September 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

and oh JK Rowling and Enid Blyton…awesome list

September 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm

penandpeplum
    September 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Ok I’ve thought about this all day and here are my lists:

5 living:
    1. Kevin McCloud
    2. Kristina Karlsson
    3. Tara Stiles
    4. Steve Carell
    5. Jamie Oliver

5 dead:
    (can’t even go there – freaks me out!)

5 fictional:
    1. Tyrion Lannister
    2. Sheldon Cooper
    3. Yoda
    4. Luna Lovegood
    5. Elaine Benes

September 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Ooh…nice list…had to look up a couple of them to see who they were.

penandpeplum
    September 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Ok I’ve thought about this all day and here are my lists:

5 living:
    1. Kevin McCloud
    2. Kristina Karlsson
    3. Tara Stiles
    4. Steve Carell
    5. Jamie Oliver

5 dead:
    (can’t even go there – freaks me out!)

5 fictional:
    1. Tyrion Lannister
    2. Sheldon Cooper
    3. Yoda
    4. Luna Lovegood
    5. Elaine Benes

September 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Ooh…nice list…had to look up a couple of them to see who they were.

Harshal Gupta
    September 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

The choices are same for me for the fictional characters for the dinner. B-). Great post. 🙂

September 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Welcome here Harshal! Ah similar fictional characters…they are interesting, aren’t they?

Harshal Gupta
    September 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

September 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm

We Cognize
    September 28, 2012 at 10:30 am

I would have loved to have dinner with one man – The “Buddha” (Siddharta Gautama). And I would cook for him, myself. !! 🙂

Oh , I wish that could be true 🙂

September 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Now that would be an amazing one. Interesting you say that…my colleague named the Dalai Lama as her first choice.

We Cognize
    September 28, 2012 at 10:30 am

Oh , I wish that could be true 🙂

September 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

hitchy
    September 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

One question I really want to ask Adam Gilchrist is its good to walk when you nicked but is it also good to appeal when you know the batsman didnt nick the ball ! Do ask him that for me ! 😛 😛 😛

Sorry I m first time here and I see your apparent likeliness for Church and I like him as well but that is one question I always wanted to ask him..

This is an interesting idea nd maybe I should do such a post too ! 😀

September 28, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Welcome here Hitchy! Well, I think you could tell the ones where he really believed were out and appealed versus the ones he didn’t. The appeals weren’t as convincing when he didn’t believe in them. Look forward to reading your post…

hitchy
        October 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I smell a genuine admirer here 😛

hitchy
    September 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

This is an interesting idea nd maybe I should do such a post too ! 😀

September 28, 2012 at 10:01 pm

hitchy
        October 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I smell a genuine admirer here 😛

Maddie
    September 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Oh I am with you all the way in the fictional characters list. I would also add Phoebe! 🙂

September 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Oh yes…how could I have forgotten Phoebe??? I’d love to have her too Maddie!

Maddie
    September 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

September 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Oh yes…how could I have forgotten Phoebe??? I’d love to have her too Maddie!

Well this is a surprise!
    October 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

[…] If you could have a dinner party, who would you invite (alive or dead)? Haha… a friend of mine blogged a similar question not so long ago. My guests would include: Kevin McCloud […]

Well this is a surprise!