Healthy Living

Week 1 of 12WBT

So we are down 1 week of the total 12 weeks of 12WBT. How did it go?

Pretty well, I’d say.

I went to the gym 6 mornings in a row. I woke up at 4:30 a.m. from Tuesday to Friday to make it to the gym around 5:15. You won’t believe how many people are already there in the middle of workouts! I followed the program given to me. I am sore. Particularly my calves after the Super Saturday Session.

The diet has been going well. I prepared my meals in advance given that I had Monday off.

I had the Cajun Fish stew and Roast Pumpkin and garlic soup as my dinner most nights from Monday to Friday. For the treat meal last night, since my friend was over, we chose to prepare a dish that still fit the calorie content: Char-grilled polenta cakes with corn salsa.

Char-grilled polenta cakes with corn salsa

Cajun fish stew

Roast pumpkin and garlic soup

My only concern with this diet is that I seem to be spending a lot more on grocery shopping. It’s not like I bought crap before but I managed to make do with the food for 2 to 3 weeks before shopping and in this case I’ve had to shop two weeks in a row spending more than I normally would. I guess it’s something I need to work out.

My weight hasn’t changed yet but I’m hoping with all this, it does!

Now to get ready for Week 2. Which involved preparing some meals today for the rest of the week.

Charleen
    September 2, 2012 at 2:24 am

I hate it when people say “shopping healthy is actually CHEAPER,” and then list out all their smart-shopping tips about watching sales and clipping coupons and whatnot. Yeah, shopping for non-health food is cheaper if you use those tips too. So if you’re talking to someone who didn’t already do those things, it’s apples and oranges.

That said, once you get used to your new way of eating and into more of a routine with it, hopefully your bill will come back down a bit. That’s what happened for us, anyway. I’d say our monthly grocery bill is still higher than it was before we got health-conscious, but not by a ton. It kinda spiked, and then settled down once we got in the swing of things.

September 5, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I agree Charleen…it’s also weird how the cheaper food in the stores tend to be the ones that are bad for you. Chocolates and biscuits are always on special! I’m hoping that once I get into the swing of things too the price will settle down a bit. After all, you can use leftovers and other ingredients.

Charleen
    September 2, 2012 at 2:24 am

September 5, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Lazy Pineapple
    September 2, 2012 at 9:04 am

You are motivated ๐Ÿ™‚ Must take some inspiration from you. You sould share the recipes in a post. The food looks delicious.

September 5, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This program has really helped motivate me because I think I am accountable LP. With the recipes, I can share the ones that are not provided by the program as those tend to be copyrighted. The polenta cake was from a recipe book of mine which I can definitely share. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lazy Pineapple
    September 2, 2012 at 9:04 am

September 5, 2012 at 11:50 pm

R's Mom
    September 3, 2012 at 3:58 am

wow! thats super rey!!! I loved that food pictures, definitely droolworthy ๐Ÿ™‚

R's Mom
    September 3, 2012 at 3:58 am

wow! thats super rey!!! I loved that food pictures, definitely droolworthy ๐Ÿ™‚

Smita
    September 3, 2012 at 10:39 am

Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚ and yes the irony of dieting is that you end up spending more time cooking than u used to before. For me I am cooking different things for family & myself but then the results are worth it ๐Ÿ™‚

September 6, 2012 at 12:25 am

Thanks Smita! It’s bizarre isn’t it how the junk food is cheaper than the healthy stuff?? And yes, definitely spending more time cooking!

Smita
    September 3, 2012 at 10:39 am

September 6, 2012 at 12:25 am

Trish
    September 6, 2012 at 1:48 am

Wow!all that looks yumm:D
    I came here to check how you were going with 12wbt!
    And I agree..the grocery bills spike up! Mine did too..One of the reasons,why I had to pick and choose from meal-plans..or I would just make more of the same food and freeze it.
    Try hitting a farmer’s market for veggies and fruits..they last longer.
    Keep up the good work,PB

September 7, 2012 at 12:19 am

Thanks Trish! Week 1 went well…Week 2, I’ve fallen sick since Thursday. But I did lose a kilo. I do buy my fruit and veg from a grocery store that’s cheaper than Woolies/Coles. Are you doing it this time around?

Trish
    September 6, 2012 at 1:48 am

Wow!all that looks yumm:D
    I came here to check how you were going with 12wbt!
    Try hitting a farmer’s market for veggies and fruits..they last longer.
    Keep up the good work,PB

September 7, 2012 at 12:19 am

Scribby
    September 8, 2012 at 7:57 am

wow seems like someone’s determined now ๐Ÿ™‚ pass some determination to me too no? pls?

Scribby