Life

Does Sachin Tendulkar deserve the Order of Australia award?

In a word: NO.

Before all my Indian readers start to go berserk, let me tell you why.

The criteria for deserving an OA include:

• demonstrated achievement at a high level;
  • made a contribution over and above what might be reasonably expected through paid employment; or
  • made a voluntary contribution to the community that stands out from others who have also made a valuable contribution.

In short, it is about contribution to Australia and Australians in general.

Sure Sachin has demonstrated achievement at a high level in cricket.

Is it over and above what might be expected through paid employment (in this case, cricket)? Perhaps.

But has he ever made a voluntary contribution to the Australian community? Never [I don’t even know if does in India but that’s not the point here]

What has he done for Australian citizens?

Has he run a charitable organisation both in India and Australia? Like Steve Waugh.

Or been involved in any other charities? Like Adam Gilchrist.

Done anything for women’s health? Like Glenn McGrath.

Or for young Aussies battling cancer? Like Ricky Ponting.

No. No. No. No.

I like you Julia Gillard. I said it last week. But I’m not happy with this decision.

Hell, even I’ve given more to the Aussie community than Sachin Tendulkar. I at least pay my taxes here which help a bunch of people on welfare. And compared to what Sachin does for our community, that’s a lot!

Can I be awarded the OAM for doing that along with a number of other Aussies helping our community in this way?

Pretty please…

R's Mom
    October 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I agree…I have been wondering why? ever since I saw that in the news…I am not a big Sachin fan (go on kill me people!) so I am anyways a bit biased… I know the guy bats like God or something, but hey, he is human eh?

October 17, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Haha… 😀 That’s good. People will kill you before they kill me for the post! 😛 But on a serious note, I agree…he is human. Yes, he has performed very well. But in terms of his personality, I’m definitely not a fan. I can admire his batting being a fan of the sport. But that’s about it. Seriously though, has he done any charity work in India? I remember years ago I was so annoyed that he didn’t have to pay any tax on getting his Ferrari shipped over or something like that. Did not like that god-like status for him.

R's Mom
    October 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm

October 17, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Jay
    October 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hmm, quite an argument you have put up here. Interesting read.
    Keep posting PB 🙂 🙂 🙂

Regards

Jay

Jay
    October 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hmm, quite an argument you have put up here. Interesting read.
    Keep posting PB 🙂 🙂 🙂

Regards

Jay

Bikramjit Singh Mann
    October 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

No I dont think so too.. I mean Sachin is a great player and he has got the reward for that , look how rich he is .. Those who have done selfless work for the good of humanity or something like that , they should get awards ..

he is definitely the god of cricket No doubts about that , but he is getting rewarded for it as such tooo ..

Bikramjit Singh Mann
    October 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Shibu jacob
    October 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

I think he should refuse it,i mean it should mean nothing to him. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,but whether he pays tax on his Ferrari or harbhajan over that silly issue is not relevant.it just proves what whingers ozzies are. This order is not a patch on all the accolades he has. In short,he should refuse it!

Shibu jacob
    October 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

Shibu jacob
    October 19, 2012 at 11:52 am

Oops. I meantbto write,his alleged supporting Harbhajan.

Shibu jacob
    October 19, 2012 at 11:52 am

Oops. I meantbto write,his alleged supporting Harbhajan.