Life

Happy ‘Stralya Day

Yes it’s Australia Day. Just one of the many days in the year where I am thankful for being an Australian and grateful for all this country has to offer.

I love this country.

I love the vast beaches.

I love the sunshine and the blue skies.

I love the trees and the bush.

I love the crisp morning air when I head to the gym.

I love the people I meet on the streets. The ones who smile at you even if they don’t know you.

I love the fact that people call you ‘mate’ or ‘darl’.

I love the multiculturalism that is Australia.

I love the easy-going, laid back Aussie attitude.

I love how we shorten everything: footy, barbie, ute…

I love the freedom to be able to express myself in any way I want. Be it my clothes or what I say.

I love how everyone can be held accountable. Even those in power.

Yes, we have our faults. We have our bigots and idiots like everyone else. We have our crazy pollies. We have our crimes. We whinge about the system.

But in all honesty, we truly are the lucky country.

And while officially I became an Aussie only 2 years ago, in my heart, I think I have always been one. I love my country. And all it has given me.

It is not something I take lightly.

Happy Australia Day one and all! Have a beer for me! [Only because I’m done with my quota!}

This is how I spent my morning:

Wanda Beach on Australia Day

Wanda Beach on Australia Day

How did you spend ‘Stralya day?

P.S. Do read this post by Molly on Australia Day. I loved it!

NS
    January 27, 2013 at 6:49 am

I visited Aus 2 years ago and man, i am still so much in love with the country.. I totally agree with these points:

I love the easy-going, laid back Aussie attitude.

And might I add, the Aussie accent. i LOVEEEE it!! I love how they say Austraaylia 🙂

January 28, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Ooh…I love the accent too NS! I used to practice a few words even before I came to Aus…would listen to the cricketers and try to mimic the way they said “noice” and ‘noine” 😀

NS
    January 27, 2013 at 6:49 am

I love the easy-going, laid back Aussie attitude.

January 28, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Little Fingers
    January 27, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I always wanted to visit Aussie and now your posts making me feel go there right away 🙂

January 28, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Oh you should LF! There is no better place! 🙂 Look me up if you ever visit Sydney…

Little Fingers
    January 27, 2013 at 6:28 pm

January 28, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Rachna
    January 29, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Cheers to a happy Australian!

Rachna
    January 29, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Cheers to a happy Australian!

R's Mom
    January 29, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Gah! now I will find it very difficult to resist RD’s offer to visit Aus when he is going there the next time 🙂 loved this post PB 🙂

R's Mom