Life

What’s your preferred profession…

…for your partner {or boyfriend or girlfriend or spouse}?

I have been watching my new box-set of Seinfeld lately. Can I just say how great the sitcoms of the 90s and early 2000s were? Only Big Bang Theory is worth a mention currently. Anyway, I digress.

There was this episode in which Jerry talks about how women are more concerned about a man’s profession whereas if a man is attracted to a woman, her profession is the last thing he is thinking about. Now I don’t know how true that is in terms of his observation of men. All you blokes out there, do respond to that.

But I do know that it’s something I have thought about as a woman. And spoken to friends about it too. My ex was a psychologist. 2 of my friends here have partners who are also health professionals {not psychs though} and one’s is a cartographer.  After being with a psychologist, there were benefits in that it was good to talk about work. But there were also downsides. Like talking about work. I’m not sure if that’s an avenue I’d like to explore again.

Many years ago, I was a bit elitist and decided I would only date a professional. I’m over that high horse now. But there are still some professions I doubt I could date. Like for instance, a police officer. The last guy I went on a date with via the online dating website was in the IT industry but was planning on giving it up and become a cop. Needless to say, that was another black mark against him. I like cops and respect them. But they have a lot of stress in their job. I mean, I see kids and teens who are from families where there is domestic violence or who have been sexually and physically assaulted. Policemen and women are first on the scene in these cases. And I don’t know how they do it. So yes, it’d be hard for me to date a cop.

During all this online dating, I’ve chatted with nurses, IT people, students, corporate dudes, science blokes and education guys. Somehow, I find I am automatically drawn towards health and education individuals. I don’t know why. Although my friend reckons nurses are bad news. I have no evidence for or against yet. Do I have a preferred profession? I might be a tad partial to those with science, health or education as their profession. But it doesn’t mean I will completely discount other professions.

I guess when it comes down to it, I might be thinking about my potential partner’s profession. Will it stop me from being in a relationship with them if their profession is not one of my preferred ones but everything else clicks? Nah. I’ve got to be really stupid for that. As long as I can have decent conversations about a number of topics without anyone going “Are you analysing me?”, I think I’ll be ok with any profession.

So what about you, dear readers? What profession is your partner (if you have one)? Do you or did you have a preference that your partner be a certain profession before you meet/ met them?

Do share.

Bikramjit Singh Mann
    January 14, 2013 at 12:18 am

I have never given it a thought .. so cant say much will have to think about and come back on this

Bikramjit Singh Mann
    January 14, 2013 at 12:18 am

amie0312
    January 14, 2013 at 3:05 am

I live in an episode of Big Bang Theory 🙂 – Mr. M is a physicist!

I think I may have been elitist at some points in my life…but I think that when you meet someone, and feel they’re the one for you, their profession won’t matter. Having said that, I think it’s important they love what they do, are good, kind, etc etc (you know, the usual list we have!)….
    If you fall in love with someone, and absolutely adore them, would you give up this love if you don’t like what they do?
    Hmm..food for thought ….

amie0312
    January 14, 2013 at 3:05 am

I live in an episode of Big Bang Theory 🙂 – Mr. M is a physicist!

Hmm..food for thought ….

January 15, 2013 at 2:24 am

err, never really thought on these lines. 😀

January 15, 2013 at 2:24 am

err, never really thought on these lines. 😀

onehonestwriter
    January 22, 2013 at 12:27 am

I had a very clear picture of what proffesion my wud be shud have had….VERY CLEAR. And in all the specifications one thing that was assumed without even thinking about was, he wud be into service. Everybody in my family from my dad’s generation is into Govt jobs and my generation into pvt corporates. We have no business with the business class.

And every single thing went on a toss when I met the better half. Not only he is into business but his worklife is totally diff from what I had imagined or thought of. But the beauty is once you click it just do not matter at all. And I couldnt have asked for a better life partner.

onehonestwriter