Healthy Living

Living the healthy life

I recently realised that I haven’t blogged about my healthy lifestyle journey post my 12WBT program. As you know the program ended in November last year and I didn’t go ahead with the next round. During my 12 week program, I lost about 6 kgs. So what’s happened since?

Well, I’m pleased to say that I haven’t gained weight despite being off the program. I have managed to continue my healthy eating and working out at the gym. Yes, even during Christmas. To the point where I have lost more weight than I intended. In case you are following the ticker on my sidebar, my goal had been to get down to 48 kgs (given my 153 cm frame). Last week when I weighed myself, I was down to 47 kgs. I’m not entirely pleased about it as I have lost inches too. Which means some trousers I bought in November during my shopping spree, no longer fit nicely. Some other tops are too loose. And don’t even get me started on my boobs. Or lack of. 🙄

I’m not starving myself at all. I eat all my meals. And enjoy my food. But if I overeat, my stomach can’t handle it and I feel sick. Someone at work recommended cutting down my gym days from 6 to 3. But I want to go to the gym. Because it helps with my mental health. Personally, if I didn’t go to the gym 6 days a week, I reckon I’d end up being clinically anxious or depressed. The gym keeps me functional. And in any case, I’m not doing as much of cardio as I was. I’m focussing more on lifting weights to tone my muscles. Which is coming along nicely. And my fitness levels have definitely improved as I can run 3 kilometres on the treadmill without running out of breath. To cut a long story short, I’m loving the gym!!!

Colleagues and friends keep commenting on how much weight I’ve lost and keep telling me to stop. I tell them I’m not intending to lose any more. Parents of my clients have also commented on it. I do feel good but I’m not doing this for anyone but myself. In the end though, this is all towards being healthy. So that I don’t have to undergo a bypass surgery in my 40s. This is something I have to keep telling the people who tell me I don’t need to exercise any more as I’ve lost weight. That there is a risk of heart disease in my family as well as diabetes.

Sure it helps that I feel great about myself. But that hasn’t helped the wallet with some of the clothes shopping I’ve been indulging in. I bought a dress on the weekend from Myer of all places because it looked bloody amazing! And I felt sexy. It falls under a little-black-dress category. Anyway, I will put up a photo when I eventually wear it to go some place.

When some colleagues talk about diets such as no carbs or other weird stuff, I tell them I eat everything. Just in limited quantities. I am a bit more vigilant about what I put into my mouth. So for instance, I’ve probably only had hot chips twice in the last 4 months. But it’s a choice. I have been having low-fat cheese instead of heaping on the mozarella like I used to. I still have my two-three glasses of red wine per week. And I might have over-indulged a couple of weeks ago at a friend’s 30th with 4 beers and 2 shots. 🙂 But in the end, it’s all about moderation.

I am glad I did the 12WBT program. Because it gave me what I needed — a lifestyle change. I’ll leave you all with photos of some of my meals post the program from some healthy recipe books I own.

Meals a la moi

Meals a la moi

Clockwise from top: Beef burrito | Mango crumble | Tandoori chicken with carrot salad | Chicken noodle soup | Peppered kangaroo steak with leek mash | Weetbix & passionfruit crumble

So yes, I still am living the healthy life. And loving how I feel about myself.

Smita
    February 8, 2013 at 5:21 pm

It is amazing na how little changes in diet can help you? I have been meaning to join a gym but somehow not motivated enough 🙁 I very well know that my weight loss will accelerate once I do that but…

February 10, 2013 at 9:13 am

Tell me about it Smita!! I feel proud this time because the last time around when I lost weight due to gym and diet, mum was the one cooking. So this time around, it’s me doing the cooking! 🙂 I wrote a post on motivating oneself to exercise…you can take some tips from that if you like. But on a serious note, I think I have fewer responsibilities than you anyway so it’s easier to go to the gym at 5 in the morning for me. All I have are 2 cats to look after. No family responsibilities.

Smita
    February 8, 2013 at 5:21 pm

February 10, 2013 at 9:13 am

R's Mom
    February 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Jeez both you and Smita should be inspiration enough for me…Did you say 47 kgs..thats like half of what I weigh..gah!

February 10, 2013 at 9:14 am

Um yeah RM…47. But see, it means you can do it too!! 😀

R's Mom
    February 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm

February 10, 2013 at 9:14 am

Um yeah RM…47. But see, it means you can do it too!! 😀

Avada Kedavra
    February 9, 2013 at 6:43 am

that’s nice PB.. I want to hit gym too.. dont know when I will get the motivation to do that 🙂

February 10, 2013 at 9:15 am

Thanks Ava…you can always check out my post on Motivation to exercise. It was a bit humourous but some of those actually worked for me in the beginning to get my motivation levels up.

Avada Kedavra
    February 9, 2013 at 6:43 am

February 10, 2013 at 9:15 am

the ghost who eats
    February 9, 2013 at 9:17 pm

47 kgs.. !!!! you mean 47!!

February 10, 2013 at 9:18 am

Um yes, Hitchy. I am only 5 feet tall though. Or short. Whichever way you want to look at that.

the ghost who eats
    February 9, 2013 at 9:17 pm

47 kgs.. !!!! you mean 47!!

February 10, 2013 at 9:18 am

February 15, 2013 at 9:20 am

Wow. This is inspiring, PB! I’ve wanted to follow a regular gym/eating schedule for a while now but for one reason or another I keep putting it off. I want to get inspired by this and start my journey towards healthy living and shed all the extra weight I’ve put on in the past few months, especially.

February 15, 2013 at 9:20 am

A letter to my body #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life
    February 28, 2016 at 5:59 pm

[…] I continued to nourish you with good food in 2013 and loved looking at you. I was happy. You were healthy, you were toned, you gave me […]

A letter to my body #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life