Life lessons

Passion-less

{Click image for source}

When I completed my HSC back in 2001, I decided to get my IQ tested and complete an aptitude & personality test while waiting for my results. My college back then offered both. For a fee of course. I guess while I knew I wanted to pursue psychology, I still thought it’d be a good idea to figure out the different areas I had an aptitude for. Especially given that until a year before that I had been sure I wanted to become a journalist.

Anyway, I did the assessments which included a group IQ test {so not like the individual ones I currently administer} and a questionnaire around aptitude and interests. I got my results a little after which included a consultation with the college psychologist to provide feedback. There was one thing he said to me during the feedback that stuck at the time: I had no passion for anything.

Don’t get me wrong. I was intelligent and capable and had an aptitude for words and psychology. But according to my responses on the interest/aptitude questionnaires, I lacked passion for anything.

In my 17 year old brain, I had a retort: Well, if there were questions about Adam Gilchrist or cricket or Australia or reading, you probably would see my passion.

But I kept mum.

It did make me wonder at the time though — why was I apparently so passion-less? What could I do to become more passionate? And weren’t cricket, Gilly and reading a passion? I remember feeling a bit dejected that here I was planning on undertaking a course that I apparently wasn’t passionate about…I had no hobbies to be passionate about…what was the point of it all?

Almost 12 years later, I want to go back and tell my 17 year old self that a questionnaire is not really going to highlight your passions. Passion comes through in many other ways.

Like how you raise your voice when talking about something you truly believe in. Or how your eyes light up when talking about a favourite book or author. Or how you would go to any lengths to educate someone about something you are passionate about. Or even looking forward to a new day that might involve the routine of the gym and work but knowing you love both. There will be things or people {ahem, Gilly} you will always be passionate about. And there will be new passions as you mature and your views develop.

And just because what you are passionate about is not on a questionnaire, it doesn’t make it any less valuable or you any less passionate.

When it comes to passion, there are no rights or wrongs.

If I could go back to my college counsellor, I would tell him all of the above too. Or maybe, just tell him what I had thought back at 17. And question why his questionnaire didn’t ask me about books or cricket or feminism or writing at the time. And how in addition to those passions, 12 years later, I am fortunate to be working in a job I am passionate about and that I find rewarding in a field I am very passionate about. Finally, it was my passion for a country miles away that made me determined to move across continents by myself at the age of 21.

Today marks 8 years since I landed in Australia. This in part has helped me grow further and pursue some other passions along the line.

What about you? What are you passionate about? And do you pursue your passions?

***Linking up with Jess and others over at IBOT because it’s a Tuesday***

Avada Kedavra
    February 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

Each person has a different passion. I dont think people can generalize it like that.
    And congrats on completing 8 yrs in Aus 🙂

February 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I agree Ava…it’s weird that they even have a questionnaire like that! Thanks! 🙂

Avada Kedavra
    February 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

And congrats on completing 8 yrs in Aus 🙂

February 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I agree Ava…it’s weird that they even have a questionnaire like that! Thanks! 🙂

Smita
    February 12, 2013 at 4:42 pm

8 Years? wow!!!

My passion? Cooking!!! Reading!!! but am I passionate enough to pick it as a career? Dunno!!!

But what you have written is so write, a mere piece of paper can not determine your passion, it is the true life experiences which decide your passion.

February 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm

At least Smita you’re passionate enough to pursue it in your spare time. Let’s face it, I couldn’t make my passion for Gilly into a career! 😉

Smita
    February 12, 2013 at 4:42 pm

8 Years? wow!!!

February 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm

R's Mom
    February 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

My passion

1. Sleeping
    2. reading
    3. Eating 🙂

you want to know more? none of that will give me a job eh?

February 18, 2013 at 8:52 pm

But RM…it doesn’t necessarily have to give you a job as we could have things we are passionate about and pursue as a hobby. Feminism is something I’m passionate about but I don’t know if it’s something I could pursue in my career necessarily. But I’ll talk about it till I’m blue in the face…

R's Mom
    February 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

My passion

1. Sleeping
    2. reading
    3. Eating 🙂

you want to know more? none of that will give me a job eh?

February 18, 2013 at 8:52 pm

hopefulraeofsunshine
    February 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I’m passionate about films, writing, books, history and Americas Next Top Model (sad but true lol)

February 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Lol at ANTM 🙂 But at least you pursue all your passions! Welcome here!

hopefulraeofsunshine
    February 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm

February 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Lol at ANTM 🙂 But at least you pursue all your passions! Welcome here!

bossymummy
    February 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I think I would be “passionless” on paper as well. But my passions are reading, learning, travel and family. They are the things that light the fire in my belly

Hello from #teamIBOT

February 18, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I love the phrase ‘light the fire in my belly’, bossymummy…you’ve put it perfectly! That’s what passion is all about… 🙂

bossymummy
    February 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Hello from #teamIBOT

February 18, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Lisa Barton-Collins
    February 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm

How awful that he said you where not passionate about anything! Sounds like a crap test to me. At the moment I am passionate about Eric Northman from True Blood. It’s a bit tragic, really.
    xx

February 18, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Welcome here Lisa…now that I work with kids and adolescents in a similar role, I can’t begin to imagine what possessed my counsellor back then to say that. At 16-17, we are questioning every bit of our identity any way. We don’t need someone else adding fuel to that fire. Oh well. And I had to look up who you were passionate about…but can understand that! 🙂

Lisa Barton-Collins
    February 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm

xx

February 18, 2013 at 9:08 pm

EssentiallyJess
    February 13, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I think it’s really hard for any 17 year old to know exactly what they are passionate about. I look back at myself then, and so much has changed. Other things have stayed the same and matured, but I really had no idea at the end of school.

EssentiallyJess
    February 13, 2013 at 9:06 pm

jake
    February 18, 2013 at 3:54 am

Well, I would say that that “counsellor” is sadly ignorant. Dominant mainstream culture makes the life’s of anyone who does not follow conventional norms miserable, this ranges for simple things like the color of your hair and the clothes you wear to extreme cases where your marital status and educational background are questioned. That stupid questionnaire that you took was one such example, it leaves out everything that mainstream Indian culture does not give a hoot about (in this case evening reading , which is a tragedy considering the immensely rich literary history of the subcontinent) and somehow manages to point out that you are not passionate about anything, because apparently the kids who graduate from IITs and IIMs and migrate in flocks to MNCs’ , and could not give a shit about social issues are more seen as more significant in the country’s future as we head into a dick measuring content with China.

Whenever I get into this argument with my sister, she brings up the point that with the situation that a country like India is in now, everything becomes a rat race and that its not anyone’s fault. I however beg to disagree, I see the same phenomenon occurring everywhere from the US to Britain.

jake
    February 18, 2013 at 3:54 am

What’s my passion? — Over Cups of Coffee
    August 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm

[…] I’m not lying when I say I truly am passionate about all of these. It comes across in my voice and my face when I’m talking about any of these. I notice my heart racing just that teeny bit faster. And my mood lift a lot more. A far cry from when I was once told I didn’t have a passion for anything. […]

What’s my passion? — Over Cups of Coffee