Life

Dating Diary – Science boy

I realise I haven’t written much in the whole dating diary thing post The Writer. There are a couple of reasons for that. One being I’ve only been on one date. Back in February. And since then, life has just been so damn busy that I haven’t even had time to update stuff on here let alone go on any dates. Anyway, so let me introduce to Science Boy.

Image Source: Here

I initially made contact with Science Boy around December. He’s the same age as me (a month younger). The reason for the name I’ve given him is that according to his profile, he’s a PhD student in, you guessed it, a science field. Something around molecular biology {or similar to that}. Anyway, we had a gap in communication because in January, he went back to visit his family who live in country NSW. And upon his return, we agreed to meet up. Initially, the plan was for coffee. But stuff came up for him and we changed it to dinner on a Friday night. Which suited me fine because then I don’t have to worry about what to wear — just go in work clothes! πŸ™‚ He chose the place after finding out my cuisine preference. And get this: he chose the exact same place that I went to with the Writer on our second date. Gah. I found myself wondering that from all the Thai restaurants in Newtown, how in the world did he end up choosing the exact same one!? Oh well.

Anyway, met him at the restaurant {he was 15 minutes late as he was catching public transport}. The restaurant was pretty crowded and noisy. {And not necessarily the best Thai in town either!} I didn’t remember it being this noisy when I’d gone previously even though both timings were similar and on Friday nights. When I saw Science Boy though, my first thought was that he’d lied about his height. He didn’t seem as tall as he’d said in the profile. Over dinner though we talked quite a bit…just finding out about each other. Unfortunately, because of how loud it was, there were times it was hard to hear one another. On the whole, he was quite nice and sweet but I didn’t feel a spark. At all. He was easy to talk to and I felt comfortable with him but just wasn’t attracted to him. Plus there were a few things like him not liking to go to the movies, not really attending many concerts, not being game enough to try out new foods and basically sticking with the tried and tested, not yet being enrolled in his PhD but in the process of completing his masters that made me a bit hesitant. Oh…and he also lives like a couple of hours away from me! I assumed he felt the same {i.e. no spark/attraction} because when we finished dinner around two hours later, we just hugged goodbye and went our separate ways.

And I thought that was that.

Until about 6 days later I received a text from him saying he enjoyed the night and that I was a pleasure to talk to and that basically, the ball was in my court.

Damn.

So I ummed and aahed over how I could respond. Without hurting him. Because he really was a sweet guy. But someone I’d probably like as a friend. In the end I texted him the next day saying pretty much that — that I would like to hang out as friends.

And I didn’t hear back from him.

Until a week later. Where he said he would like to hang out as friends too and maybe we could make a plan. We finally ended up meeting yesterday for dinner {he is very indecisive and plans are hard to make!} and again, the conversation was good {religion & our issues with it, work, whinging, music…} but yeah, zilch attraction or chemistry.

So Science Boy is going to remain a mate of mine if we can catch up given the geographical distance.

I learnt something though about myself: when I’m not worrying about the bloody future, I can be so much more relaxed and myself. And I wonder that perhaps my crazy side was visible to The Writer back in January because of the turmoil in my head. You live and learn I suppose. So hopefully, I can continue to put myself out there and learn.

Trish
    March 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

You are soo cool.. for letting him know πŸ™‚
    This was a nice read! hope you are well.
    Trish recently posted…Catch up..My Profile

March 17, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I had to Trish…especially after my experience with the Writer. Couldn’t leave him hanging nor could I lead him on. I’m doing well…shame about you being tired and the low Vitamin D…been reading your posts on Reader at work but couldn’t comment at the time.

Trish
    March 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

You are soo cool.. for letting him know πŸ™‚
    This was a nice read! hope you are well.
    Trish recently posted…Catch up..My Profile

March 17, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Vanessa @ babblingbandit.me
    March 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Well done on letting him know that you’re only interested in friendship right off the bat. Dating is such hard work and finding that elusive ‘spark’ seems damn near impossible sometimes but I think it is really important to be honest about how you feel. Good luck for future dates! V.
    Vanessa @ babblingbandit.me recently posted…A post about pooMy Profile

March 17, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Oh dear…dating is so bloody difficult! I had to let him know because I kinda know what it’s like to be interested in someone and have them apparently interested in you but well, then to not have any contact from the person. And it sucks. So I knew I had to be honest and communicate.

Vanessa @ babblingbandit.me
    March 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Vanessa @ babblingbandit.me recently posted…A post about pooMy Profile

March 17, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Smita
    March 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

So found a fren? Good πŸ™‚
    Smita recently posted…A lot to say again….My Profile

Smita
    March 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

So found a fren? Good πŸ™‚
    Smita recently posted…A lot to say again….My Profile

Avada Kedavra
    March 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

Good decision. If you cannot feel a connection, there is no point in continuing. Being friends is a better option πŸ™‚
    Avada Kedavra recently posted…MΓ©xico viaje – 2My Profile