Feminism Fodder

On International Women’s Day…

…I ask for just one thing: to stop holding women responsible for violence against them.

This is an issue that has always bothered me. Interestingly enough, on IWD, there is an article in the Daily Life along the similar lines. The irony is that the same day as Bianca’s article was published, we also have a call for ‘pink carriages’ to make trains “safer for women” at night.

With regards to the pink carriages, I can’t think of anything worse. It discriminates against both men and women. For one thing, the assumption is that men don’t get physically assaulted on trains. Which they do. And again, it assumes that women need to take responsibility of their own safety. Not the people carrying out the violent assaults. So let’s put them in a pink carriage {because women lurrrve pink!} and that way they will feel safe. Coming from India where there are separate carriages and even trains for women, all I can say is that it does not prevent sexual assaults from occurring. You still have men passing lewd comments. You will still have men waiting to grope you and assault you at the train station. And ti sends the message that women have to live in fear. Instead of stupid ideas like pink carriages, why not spend the time and money educating people not to assault others and also on increasing security overall at night?? Or is that too much to ask for? {See Whoa Molly’s post on this for more}

I for one, am sick and tired of being told what to do and what not to do.

I’m sick of being told that I must wear certain clothes and walk the streets at a certain time or take the train at a ‘safe’ hour {or in a pink carriage} or to not drink too much just so that I don’t get sexually assaulted. When are the police, the counsellors, the politicians, and the population in general going to tell the perpetrators of violence against women to back off? When are they going to tell the perpetrators to not assault or rape women who wear what they want? When are they going to tell the perpetrators to not assault women on the train? When are they going to tell the perpetrators to stay away from a woman walking by herself on the streets at night? When are they going to tell the perpetrators to not have sex with a woman who is drunk?

Image Source

Sadly, the mindset all over the world is that women are still responsible. The only difference is the way in which this message is packaged. The media does no favours through the manner in which it reports violent crimes against women {see this brilliant post for an analysis of that}. While we have slutwalks and marches in the name of conquering the streets again, I hope fervently that the message eventually gets across — women are not responsible for violence against them. Just in the same way a person who is mugged is not responsible.

It’s about time the perpetrators of this violence are held responsible. And told to stop.

So yes, Happy International Women’s Day to all you lovely women out there. Yes, we still need a day like this because guess what? All these years later, we are still fighting for one of our most basic rights: our right to be safe while living our lives.

On a slightly separate yet kinda related note, I bought my ticket to the All about Women festival which will be held on the 7th of April at the Sydney Opera House. I got the festival pass and am looking forward to it especially the conversation events and one of the headline speakers. Anyone else want to join in? Let me know if you’re attending.

***Linking up with Grace for FYBF***

shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
    March 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Great post!
    shelleyrae @ Book’d Out recently posted…Happy International Women’s Day!My Profile

shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
    March 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Great post!

Fiona
    March 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Well said xx
    Fiona recently posted…Sources of EnergyMy Profile

Fiona
    March 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Well said xx
    Fiona recently posted…Sources of EnergyMy Profile

Whoa, Molly!
    March 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Great post! Thanks for the mention. 🙂
    I have been thinking about attending the All About Women conference. Perhaps I will think further on it! I entered the comp on Daily Life to win tix, too.
    Whoa, Molly! recently posted…Pink Carriages & Face PalmsMy Profile

March 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thanks and no worries! Loved your post as well! 🙂 Do let me know if you end up going to the conference…could end up being a blogger meet up 😀 And I didn’t know about the competition…damn. Oh well. Good luck with it!

Whoa, Molly!
    March 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Great post! Thanks for the mention. 🙂
    Whoa, Molly! recently posted…Pink Carriages & Face PalmsMy Profile

March 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm

R's Mom
    March 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I did a post too…as a letter to the brat…what we need is to ‘just let us be’ we dont need anything special at all

March 8, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I agree…but the only way we won’t need anything special is if we get that equality. I’m so tired of being told that I’m responsible for what someone else does to me…

R's Mom
    March 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm

March 8, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Smita
    March 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Quite paradoxical know…celebration of women’s day one side and rampant exploitation on the other side….

I hope Like RM says in her letter we have a better future!
    Smita recently posted…Baaah! To Women’s Day!!!My Profile

Smita
    March 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I hope Like RM says in her letter we have a better future!
    Smita recently posted…Baaah! To Women’s Day!!!My Profile

Janet
    March 9, 2013 at 12:37 am

Hear, hear!

Janet
    March 9, 2013 at 12:37 am

Hear, hear!

Aleney
    March 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

Brilliant post. “Painting it pink” is hardly a solution, just a band aid (and not even a particularly effective one). Education, action and true equality is the only way forward. A belated Happy International Women’s day to you 🙂

Aleney
    March 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

The F-word | Over Cups of Coffee
    March 8, 2014 at 8:06 pm

[…] Day, to try and inspire change, I’d like you all to think about this — about why we need a day like this and why we need feminism. Because at the end of the day, if you want equal rights for women, you […]

The F-word | Over Cups of Coffee