Life lessons

Seriously out of my comfort zone

Remember how I made a resolution at the beginning of this year about going out of my comfort zone?

Image from here

Well, I have been. And not just with the dating.

I have been very social. And meeting new people. And in the process overcoming a lot of my social anxiety.

I’m continuing with my Amnesty group and even volunteered to (wo)man a stall on stopping violence against women last weekend at the Art of Living festival for a few hours. I also joined a new book club last week and met 5 new people in the process over dinner to choose our very first book. Yes, apparently, somewhere in my brain I think I have a lot of time. Because, you see, I don’t intend on giving up my other book club which I have been a part of for more than 2 years. And then, yesterday, I went out to lunch with a group via Meetup. A group of ladies I’ve never met before. They were quite nice too but a lot older. Not that that’s stopped me. I still manage to have lovely conversation with them.

That’s not all.

Next weekend is a big one. I’m going for two bushwalks with a bushwalking group. Once again, people I’ve never met. And one of the biggest things — signing up to attend the Problogger training event in September at the Gold Coast. Sure, Miranti is going. But I haven’t met anyone else. Even though I feel like I ‘know’ some of them thanks to their blogs.

Yes, there is still that initial anxiety when I first meet people. But slowly and steadily, it is decreasing.

In addition to all this, I’ve also been doing my regular things — my usual book club, my Amnesty meetings, my Italian language class and my gymming. Plus of course, my 9 to 5 job from Monday to Friday and also working most Saturdays and blogging like a maniac.

My friend J got a bit concerned about me. I have been burning the candle at both ends. But I’m still surviving. And enjoying it all.

I have noticed that the more I go out of my comfort zone and challenge myself, the better I feel about myself and the more confident I probably come across. One of the ladies I met today {we’ll call her K} said the same thing about her. It was her first meetup and having turned 50 earlier this year, she decided she was going to do something for herself. And has been slowly pushing herself. I told her about my whole ‘out of my comfort zone’ plan at the start of the year too.

Basically, the thing is, unless you go out of your comfort zone, you don’t know what you are capable of.

And that’s how you grow.

I feel like I stagnated in the last few years. But slowly and steadily, I’m changing. And growing. And loving myself and my life in the process.

I am content and so grateful for all this.

So tell me, what do you do to get out of your comfort zone?

Jane (@jatosha)
    March 18, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Oh what a lovely post! It is so important I think to go out of your comfort zone. How else do we grow and change?! You sound like you lead an extremely busy and stimulating life – I can totally relate to this as well! I wrote a post with quite a similar theme to this on my blog too, called ‘I Challenge You – http://veryjane.com.au/?p=24.

Keep enjoying & stretching yourself – and I look forward to meeting you at ProBlogger!! 🙂

Jane xox
    Jane (@jatosha) recently posted…Dear Crying Stranger,My Profile

Jane (@jatosha)
    March 18, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Jane xox
    Jane (@jatosha) recently posted…Dear Crying Stranger,My Profile

Smita
    March 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

The change in u is so very apparent. You are much more outgoing and open to talk about things that are personal to you and this I am saying on the basis of knowing you for couple of years.

You are inspiring me to move out of my comfort zone…….may be one day!
    Smita recently posted…A lot to say again….My Profile

Smita
    March 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

You are inspiring me to move out of my comfort zone…….may be one day!
    Smita recently posted…A lot to say again….My Profile

Miranti | pen & peplum
    March 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

So proud of you PB – you are really putting yourself out there! Such amazing growth comes from getting out of your comfort zone. Looking forward to hearing more about it x

Miranti | pen & peplum
    March 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

March 19, 2013 at 1:03 am

You inspire me! I know that I’ve told that so many times before, but it happens so often that I have to mention it over and over 😛

I haven’t done anything out of my comfort zone really. It scares me. I should try and be more courageous, I suppose. But before all that, I need to start getting back to the gym. I haven’t worked out in over a year and that is taking its toll on me. And I am being so lazy that it’s so hard to get myself to the gym. Seeing your posts motivate me…and I hope I’ll get going soon. Thanks, PB!

March 19, 2013 at 1:03 am

Lazy Pineapple
    March 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Wow PB you really are stepping out of your comfort zone. I haven’t done anything yet not because I am scared but because I never gave it that much of a thought. The past few years have been challenging enough..I actually want stability and a simple life.
    Lazy Pineapple recently posted…Winners of Caption contest 17 “You think you are funny?”My Profile

Lazy Pineapple
    March 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Avada Kedavra
    March 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

Now that you say, I dont think I have done anything outside my comfort zone. You are awesome PB. Doing so many things to step out of your comfort zome.
    Avada Kedavra recently posted…México viaje – 2My Profile

Avada Kedavra
    March 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

Avada Kedavra recently posted…México viaje – 2My Profile

Maddie
    March 20, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Awesome!

I have been doing to same thing since last December but not so much as you. I have managed to complete an online course, made new friends along the way, met a fellow participants from the course and am doing three other courses now about subjects that I know nothing about.

There’s a thrill, excitement and sense of achievement when you get out of your comfort zone, don’t you think? I stare at the meetup site longingly and I so want to join a book club but I can’t till my son is a bit older.

Burning the candle at both ends never felt this good! I kind of like 2013! 🙂
    Maddie recently posted…Book Review: Run to MeMy Profile

Maddie
    March 20, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Awesome!

Burning the candle at both ends never felt this good! I kind of like 2013! 🙂
    Maddie recently posted…Book Review: Run to MeMy Profile

Monica @ tour to Russia
    March 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

Haven’t really moved out of my comfort zone as of yet. I prefer a simple and habit based life, does get tedious at times but mostly its OK.

Monica @ tour to Russia
    March 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

Taking on the Chillax Challenge — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm

[…] the 12 days that I used it. I started using it on the 10th of March. In other words, I was using it the week I went crazy in terms of doing stuff after […]

Taking on the Chillax Challenge — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm

The Month that was March — Over Cups of Coffee
    April 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

[…] the month gone by. March was yet another eventful and busy month. A month where I pushed myself and stepped well out of my comfort zone. I learnt that I am more capable than I ever give myself credit for. And that when I give things a […]

The Month that was March — Over Cups of Coffee
    April 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

Scare yourself #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life
    February 10, 2017 at 12:01 am

[…] in 2013, I made a motto to get out of my comfort zone. And I well and truly did. And thanks to that, 2013 became a great year. I would be nervous but […]

Scare yourself #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life