Healthy Living

Why I still go to the gym

The next time someone tells me to “stop going to the gym” or to “stop exercising“, I’m going to scream and pull my hair out.

Image Source: Here

Image Source: Here

Since August 2012, I have lost 10 kilos. I think I reached that goal around February this year. I have remained relatively stable since then weight-wise. But I continue to work out. My enthusiasm to hit the gym hasn’t reduced.  If anything, I have become even more enthusiastic and continue to work on strength-training with a bit of cardio. But obviously, when you think about a 10 kilo weight loss and a whole wardrobe change, well, it’s pretty obvious to people who have known you.

I had no qualms about telling people that I did the 12WBT program for 12 weeks last year but that since it ended in November, I’ve continued to work out and watch my diet on my own. So yes, even after the program, I lost weight. But more importantly, I’ve been healthy. And my main goal on starting that program was to change my lifestyle and become healthier.

But I continue to get a lot of comments about how tiny I’m becoming or questions about whether I’m eating enough or queries about why I still continue to go to the gym. To which I have to patiently respond with a smile that no, I’m not losing more weight and yes I’m eating everything but yes I continue to work out because I enjoy it and it’s healthy. I think people just assume you exercise to lose weight and once that goal has been reached, you should stop. Why? I have no clue. Yesterday on Twitter, someone I follow tweeted something along the lines of “It’s pointless to have gym clothes in a small size“. And I think that finally triggered me to write this post. Because even though I’m now a ‘small’ size, I love going to the gym. I know Miss RBit had a rant about this same issue a while back.

But here are some reasons why I continue to go to the gym:

• Heart problems run in my family in spite of eating relatively healthy meals and exercising. It might have something to do with the structure of the heart. And knowing that I get whatever mum gets, well, let’s just say I’d prefer to have bypass surgery in my 60s than in my 40s.
  • Diabetes runs in my family. Once again, something I’d like to prevent.
  • High blood pressure runs in my family. Given that my job can be stressful enough and that I worry, well, we all know where I’m headed eventually. And it could be a lot worse without exercising and eating healthy.
  • Exercising does wonders for my mood and anxiety. Sure, I do not have a clinical problem but I imagine if I didn’t exercise, I’d get way more anxious than I already do and way more flat. I noticed that even just earlier this week.
  • My arms are a lot more defined and toned {which I absolutely love!!} and my legs are getting there. I’ve been loving the feeling of being able to increase the weights and build my muscles.
  • Exercising has done wonders for my confidence. In a weird way, the more I exercise, the better I feel about myself and the less I care about what other people think.
  • Strength-training is an important part of maintaining weight loss and building muscle instead of fat. Something some other women I work with don’t seem to understand.
  • All the money spent on the new wardrobe needs to be worthwhile! If I stop exercising and put on weight, well, there goes all that money!
  • Most importantly, I LOVE my food! I love trying out new cuisines and new restaurants. Let’s just say that if I stop exercising, it would be very bad news! 😛

So there.

I know I have lost weight. But yes, I will continue to go to the gym as long as I can because I want to remain healthy! It’s not a one-off thing. It’s a lifestyle thing.

Do you get asked this question about why you exercise?

Do share your thoughts…

Scribby
    April 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Inspiring!
    Scribby recently posted…We’ve moved!! Go ToMy Profile

Scribby
    April 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Inspiring!
    Scribby recently posted…We’ve moved!! Go ToMy Profile

missRBit
    April 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Oh PB….can I say how much I agree? But you already know that! 😉 A healthy lifestyle is my number one priority and I don’t care if anyone thinks I’m “too skinny” or exercising for no reason. I don’t exercise to be skinny, it’s to be healthy, to be fit because like you I have an inheritance of health problems and also exercises makes me feel GOOD. I think I’ll stop ranting now, I could go on and on and on haha.
    missRBit recently posted…Another win for gay marriageMy Profile

April 23, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Haha…yes totally know that! 🙂 When I decided to write the post I thought I could just link up yours in any case! 😛

missRBit
    April 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm

missRBit recently posted…Another win for gay marriageMy Profile

April 23, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Dave
    April 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Loving the post! I’m a little guilty of emphasizing the ‘goals’ of exercise too much… fat loss mainly when there is a whole HEAP of health benefits as you mentioned.

This is my favorite video about the health benefits of exercise, it’s a great one to show those friends too 😛 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

April 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Welcome here Dave! Yep…there’s definitely more to exercising than just fat loss though that can be a goal too. I like to think of exercise as a valued way of living 😀

Dave
    April 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm

April 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Towards Harmony
    April 22, 2013 at 1:54 am

Hey PB,
    So long since I commented on your blog. People have to stop commenting about our bodies. Random people – shopkeepers, neighbours comment on my body weight, gaining it or losing it!
    Why can’t people just mind their own bodies and stop telling us what to do with ours!! Totally with you on the exercising for health and good mood part. I just feel less tired and anxious when I have had a good workout and it feels so great to push your body to its limits and be amazed at its capacity 🙂

April 23, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Long time no see TH! I totally agree that other people need to stop commenting about our bodies period. No matter what you do, people seem to have an opinion…which is fine as long as they keep it to themselves.

Towards Harmony
    April 22, 2013 at 1:54 am

Hey PB,

April 23, 2013 at 2:03 pm

GR
    April 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Yes, there is a wrong notion amongst people that we exercise for weight loss only. The fact that exercise keeps the mind and body fit and also does the job of a de-stressor is something to consider. Exercising definitely doesn’t need to be a chore. It can very well be a hobby or a passion in the long run.

Great post, PB ! 🙂

April 23, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Thanks GR…and yes, exercising is beneficial in so many ways!! 😀

GR
    April 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Great post, PB ! 🙂

April 23, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Thanks GR…and yes, exercising is beneficial in so many ways!! 😀

R's Mom
    April 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Gah! and here I am sitting with 20 kgs of excess weight, with no inspiration to join a gym..you girl, make me super jealous :):) and I am awestruck at your dedication
    R’s Mom recently posted…What Do You Do…My Profile

April 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Haha…honestly RM, once you get started it becomes almost like an addiction. It’s almost part of my daily routine now… 🙂

R's Mom
    April 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

R’s Mom recently posted…What Do You Do…My Profile

April 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Datsme
    April 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm

First time here and im sooo super inspired! You lost 10 KG!!!! O-M-G!

April 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Welcome here Datsme! Thanks…it was a lifestyle decision and I’m really glad I did it! 😀

Datsme
    April 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm

First time here and im sooo super inspired! You lost 10 KG!!!! O-M-G!

April 23, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Avada Kedavra
    April 23, 2013 at 5:33 am

I like your determination to exercise. Wish I could get some motivation to go to gym. I am plain lazy and havent been going to gym at all from last 1 yr or so. 🙁
    Avada Kedavra recently posted…Birds and a cartMy Profile

April 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Once you get started Ava, it’s easy. It took me a while initially but then the motivation kicked in on seeing results. When I had a bit of a slump in motivation around Nov, a friend joining a gym was motivation as well. Now it’s more routine than anything else…a part of my life.

Avada Kedavra
    April 23, 2013 at 5:33 am

Avada Kedavra recently posted…Birds and a cartMy Profile

April 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm

NS
    April 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I have been pretty slim all my lfe (during some phases, almost skinny / malnutritioned). I stopped exercising in my last 2 yrs of work and before i knew it, i bloated up. Put on 4 kgs straight, since I left my job and came to US. If not anything, for the sake of my entire wardrobe (60% of which doesnt fit me anymore) and the last point you mentioned, its time I did some heavy, consistent exercising!!
    NS recently posted…Me, The Kitchen QueenMy Profile

NS
    April 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

NS recently posted…Me, The Kitchen QueenMy Profile

Kaddu
    April 28, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I think of weight loss as just a “side effect” of exercise. The most important benefits of exercising, according to me, are points 4 & 6 in your list above. Even a 20-minute walk at the baby speed of just 3.0 kmph, does wonders for your mood and confidence level! And if you can keep it up for an hour or more… it makes you feel practically invincible! Gives you so much faith in your body and physical strength. And that, in turn, perks up your confidence level in your mental and emotional strength too! I totally agree with you on making it a point to exercise daily, as long as you can.
    Kaddu recently posted…Silly Saturday: Dating a Writer?My Profile