Out and About

I walked 35 kilometres this weekend

Yes, I went a bit nuts and walked about 35 kilometres over the two days of the weekend. It probably doesn’t sound much to people who run marathons or walk 100 kms for things like the Oxfam trailwalker.

But to me, it’s a bloody big deal. Especially my walk on Saturday.

By Thursday I realised I probably wasn’t going to be working this Saturday and decided to go on one of the walks organised as part of training for the Oxfam trailwalker. The organiser and a few others are participating in the event later on in the year and are currently building their fitness and familiarising themselves with the trail. The Saturday walk was part of The Great North Walk and we were going to walk from Brooklyn via Cowan and Berowra Waters to Mount Kuringai. We needed an early start and were at Brooklyn by 7:45 a.m. {For which yours truly woke up at 4:30 a.m.}

14 of us keen walkers started the walk at 8. And only 10 of us made it right to the very end. Which ended up being Berowra rather than Mount Kuringai because we were all exhausted as well. And no, we didn’t just abandon the 4 walkers in the bush. They left us at Cowan station due to cramps, achilles heel, blisters and well, one just realising they were not up for such an extreme walk. While the 27 kilometres are probably doable, this terrain is a hard one full of steep climbs. Which means ups and downs. I could manage ups but the downs killed me. The impact on the knees and ankles crazy. And I had to stretch and stretch like crazy to loosen those hamstrings, calves and glutes.

b2b02

Early morning rays

b2b01

Skyline

b2b03

Walking through the bush

b2b04

The view from the top of the mountain while having lunch

It’s funny. You think you are fit. Until you do something like this out in the real world instead of the controlled gym environment and realise that the gym doesn’t prepare you for uneven terrains and high impact jumps and skips. By the end of the walk, most of us were shattered. Some people though still looked well. Me, I was fucked. And yet elated in a weird way. For completing it. Sure, I could barely climb the stairs at the railway station. Sure, I was hobbling to my car upon reaching my local railway station. And I embraced the hot shower and the glass of wine that came later. I still stretched at home given that I had another walk on Sunday. It was an easy one of only 8 kilometres though and the girl who organised the Saturday walk had organised the Sunday one too. She advised me to not back out of Sunday just because I’m sore because she reckoned it would help stretch the muscles on an easy walk.

Turned out, she was right. I woke up Sunday in a lot less pain than I went to bed with {I slept for 9 hours by the way!} And although my ankle hurt a bit, I was fine overall. Sunday’s walk was at my local Royal National Park and we did an easy loop from Wattamolla to Little Marley beach with a BBQ at the end of the walk.

w2m

Royal National Park

Cool looking rock

Cool looking rock

Little Marley Beach

Little Marley Beach

I’m so glad I did these walks on the weekend. Especially after all that my brain was doing to me in the past week, this was a much needed intervention. Sydney couldn’t have offered better walking weather.  I’m hoping to be able to do a lot more of the walks. To the point where sometimes I find myself wishing I don’t have to work on the Saturday {even though I need the money!} The organiser of the two walks reckons I can build my fitness easily. As long as I keep attending some of these hard walks {She’s got a couple planned over the next 2 Saturdays…}

Who knows? I just may enter the trailwalker challenge next year!

What did you get up to over the weekend?

Do share.

whoamolly
    May 6, 2013 at 8:35 am

Wow! That is a whole lot of walking! I did a four k a few weeks ago and that was hard enough! That being said, I’d LOVE to try something super long and tough like this one day, just to see how I would go. If you are ever looking for a bushwalking buddy, drop me a line!
    whoamolly recently posted…A place just for writingMy Profile

whoamolly
    May 6, 2013 at 8:35 am

whoamolly recently posted…A place just for writingMy Profile

R's Mom
    May 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Baap rey..you sure have enthu rey!! *Salutes*

R's Mom
    May 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Baap rey..you sure have enthu rey!! *Salutes*

Smita
    May 6, 2013 at 7:41 pm

MY GOD!!! You walked this much?? wow!!! I would love to do what you are doing, even though I am not physically fit but still!!!
    Smita recently posted…May Photo A Day : Day 6 : BrokenMy Profile

Smita
    May 6, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Smita recently posted…May Photo A Day : Day 6 : BrokenMy Profile

missRBit
    May 6, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Well done PB. 😀 Loving your enthusiasm. You’re one of the few ppl who value fitness as much as me so it’s good to see what you’re up to. It keeps me motivated too.

missRBit
    May 6, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Vivienne
    May 7, 2013 at 3:18 am

35 Km is a Lot! You do inspire me to walk a lot more than I currently do. I hope to be as fit as you one day (soon).
    Vivienne recently posted…I Am…My Profile

Vivienne
    May 7, 2013 at 3:18 am

Vivienne recently posted…I Am…My Profile

Avada Kedavra
    May 8, 2013 at 7:46 am

35 kms! wow! you are awesome PB! I cant even imagine myself doing that 🙂
    Avada Kedavra recently posted…Playing with lightMy Profile

Avada Kedavra
    May 8, 2013 at 7:46 am

35 kms! wow! you are awesome PB! I cant even imagine myself doing that 🙂
    Avada Kedavra recently posted…Playing with lightMy Profile

Zita
    May 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm

What a beautiful spot to spend some time walking through! And wow! 35kilometres! Go u!
    Zita recently posted…a Pinterest win!!My Profile

Zita
    May 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Zita recently posted…a Pinterest win!!My Profile

Littlee Fingers
    May 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Wow I am so inspired by you. I mean 35KM is indeed a big deal for normal people. I love those pics too.

Littlee Fingers
    May 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm

My week according to Instagram: 2nd edition - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 19, 2017 at 9:08 pm

[…] Walked for 8 kilometres in the Royal National Park on Sunday. It never fails to disappoint […]

My week according to Instagram: 2nd edition - Living my Imperfect Life