Healthy Living

The one where I become hot gossip topic

Gossip

So apparently, I’m being talked about a lot. At my place of work. Not by the team I work with. But rather, a couple of other teams that share our building and our partner team based at another location.

The reason?

My weight loss since September last year, and well, my apparent ability to keep up my healthy lifestyle despite not being on a program or a crazy diet.

I found out from my friend D who attended a meeting with the other team and heard them talking about me and wondering how I am still maintaining my weight loss. She had to tell them it’s hard work. But I doubt they believed her. Then I had another colleague from the other team tell me a couple of weeks ago that they were all worried about me and I shouldn’t lose any more weight. I politely told her {she’s skinnier than me, by the way!} that I hadn’t actually lost weight since about March. I was just a lot more toned. But she insisted that they were all concerned especially as I didn’t have any family here. Whatever that might mean. And then stated that the next time they see me at a joint meeting, hopefully I wouldn’t be any skinnier and also advised me to eat.

I am getting sick of telling people that I eat. I eat all my meals. And more.

Breakfast.

Lunch.

Dinner.

Snacks.

I am sick of telling people it’s a lifestyle change and it wasn’t just to lose weight. I was honest at work when I was on the 12WBT program last year. But I also maintained that I haven’t been on it since November. Has it changed my life? Yes it has. I won’t deny that. It helped me have a more balanced diet. But it also required a lot of hard work and dedication.

People know I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to be able to hit the gym before work.

They know I try and make healthy choices while eating. But at the same time, it hasn’t completely stopped me from enjoying things I love — including chocolates, alcohol, eating out {boy have I been eating out!}.

They also know I have been active in other ways such as going bushwalking. And that I am looking into things like boxing and indoor rock climbing.

My friend D reckons they are all jealous. And the best way to deal with someone you are jealous of is to gossip about them I suppose. It’s probably easier to assume that someone has an eating disorder and is starving themselves than believe that it is hard work and dedication.

Because if it’s the latter, then you know it’s something helpful and something you can control. Whereas if it’s the former, you don’t want a bar of it.

My healthy lifestyle is not always easy.

But it keeps me a lot happier. I am healthier this year than I was last year. I am a lot happier this year than I was last year. I am a lot more confident this year than I was last year. And I attribute that to the healthy lifestyle too.

No one said good things had to come easy.

So if people want to gossip about me, so be it.

I know what I am doing and why I am doing it. And I know how I feel.

And that’s enough for me.

redlandcitygirl
    May 27, 2013 at 10:08 am

Pffft like your friend says, they’re just jealous. Well done you!
    redlandcitygirl recently posted…Racial UproarMy Profile

redlandcitygirl
    May 27, 2013 at 10:08 am

Pffft like your friend says, they’re just jealous. Well done you!
    redlandcitygirl recently posted…Racial UproarMy Profile

Magali
    May 27, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’ve written on a very similar topic a couple of times on my blog. I think it’s possible that a very small part of them is concerned (I’ll get back to that) but they’re definitely very jealous too.
    Don’t even bother with them. You worked hard for it & it definitely paid off. I’m very proud of what you’ve done PB. 🙂

PS- Sadly it is so easy to assume that people are anorexia because it is quite a widespread problem, no? There was this VERY prominent Australian fashion blogger I used to follow. I suddenly started noticing in her outfit posts that she had lost a significant amount of weight (she was pretty slim to start with, now all the veins in her neck were showing). I figured since she was coming off a bad breakup she was just eating less hence the weighloss.
    Then I saw her a board on her Pinterest account which supposedly contained ‘fitness inspiration’, but the images were terrible, women so skinny & emaciated looking their rbs & hip bones completely stuck out. It actually made me sick, I’ve read in the past that a lot of people with eating disordered maintain ‘thinspo / thinspiration’ images. By then it’s obvious that she has an eating disorder but I hardy know her so what can I do? 🙁
    And sorry for deviating off topic so much. Not saying this has anything to do, just thought of sharing since you’re a psychologist & all.
    Magali recently posted…Travel | Begging with the Little Sisters of the Poor in Mangalore MarketMy Profile

Magali
    May 27, 2013 at 10:35 am

missRBit
    May 27, 2013 at 10:49 am

Agree with your friend, just a whole lot of jealousy. Ignore them. People don’t understand what living a healthy lifestyle means – that it’s not about dieting and not eating but actually about eating more of the right food. It’s not about being skinny but being healthy. I could cry myself hoarse about this PB but people don’t understand so don’t worry about it! And let barking dogs bark 😉
    missRBit recently posted…Book Review: The Happiness AdvantageMy Profile

missRBit
    May 27, 2013 at 10:49 am

missRBit recently posted…Book Review: The Happiness AdvantageMy Profile

R's Mom
    May 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm

teehheeee! I am jealous as well..gah!

Let people do the gossiping..you know what exactly you have achieved and how eh?

Big congrats and you continue to remain an inspiration to people like me okay?

R's Mom
    May 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm

teehheeee! I am jealous as well..gah!

Big congrats and you continue to remain an inspiration to people like me okay?

D

Nishita
    May 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Good for you…on the weight loss and dealing with all this talk so positively 🙂
    Nishita recently posted…May Meme: Classics Club Question #10My Profile

RH
    May 28, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I have the same problem but within my apartment complex. Taking care of a hyper active toddler and studying for my exams till late night apparently made me lose my pregnancy weight and I try to eat healthy these days. But my neighbours(gossip aunties) think I have a health problem and must see a doctor. I am tired of telling them I am fine.

RH
    May 28, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Gunjan
    May 31, 2013 at 1:21 pm

You are doing the right thing by ignoring those comments. I didnt gain much weight in my pregnancy which was considered as a serious prob by my gyne but office gossip mongers, out of their so-called ‘concern’ for my baby kept telling me not to worry about my figure and eat a lot.
    Eat a lot I did, I had my mother and my husband breathing down my neck all the time, but these ppl accused me of depriving my baby of food in the process of not purposely eating to stay thin. Imagine the way they think.!!!

Gunjan