All about the mind

Burnt Out

Image Source: Here

Image Source: Here

I think I am burnt out.

I have been super-stressed. The politics at work. The stressful clients. The piling paperwork. The soap opera that’s my life. The late nights and early mornings. The problem with my finances.

I was so stressed yesterday I cried on my drive to work for no reason. And then later that arvo, I received a text message that pushed me over the edge. And reduced  me to tears. For a whole hour.

No one saw me cry.

It was good though to know that I was spending the evening with my friends N, C and J. And I did feel a lot better.

This morning though, I crashed.

And had to call in sick. I’m mentally and physically exhausted.

I am doing something about it though.

I’ve just booked myself a week away in July. Going up to Nelson Bay. By myself.

I need a break. From everyone and everything.

In the mean time though, I still need to look after myself. Some TLC as a certain someone told me while rock climbing on Monday night.

I am seriously considering seeing a psychologist as well. Except they are so bloody expensive. I found a couple close to where I live who charge $170-190 per session. My private health fund doesn’t cover it and I doubt I can get a mental health care plan via Medicare. {Even though I do know how to answer the ‘right’ way to get one} But I’ll figure it out.

At the moment, I just want to curl up in bed and cry. And avoid people.

But I know come tomorrow, I’ll pick myself back up. Hit the gym in the morning. Put on my mask. And head off to work.

Whoa, Molly
    June 5, 2013 at 11:54 am

Burnout is the worst! It sucks that you are feeling this way, lady. I know how it feels, I’ve been there and recently too. It sucks especially because, as an adult with responsibilities and junk, you have no choice but to keep on.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Whoa, Molly recently posted…One of ‘The Fears’: Wasted Potential and the Well Running DryMy Profile

June 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Molly…yeah it totally sucks when you are burnt out. I think I’ve been ignoring it for a while but it’s finally caught up with me. 😐 I’m hoping some time off in July will help while at the same time cutting back on a few things and seeing that I get enough sleep.

Whoa, Molly
    June 5, 2013 at 11:54 am

Hope you feel better soon.

June 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm

R's Mom
    June 5, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Aiyo hugs hugs da…take care of yourself will you please?
    R’s Mom recently posted…The Kilometre Long Conversation on MythologyMy Profile

R's Mom
    June 5, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Aiyo hugs hugs da…take care of yourself will you please?
    R’s Mom recently posted…The Kilometre Long Conversation on MythologyMy Profile

Kaddu
    June 5, 2013 at 3:36 pm

“At the moment, I just want to curl up in bed and cry. And avoid people.”

Do that… it helps. I speak from experience. (You already know that, don’t you? :P)

You’ll be fine in no time… you get lots of exercise, which is the best possible mood-uplifter.

And you don’t even need to avoid all people… just distance yourself from those who rub you the wrong way. Spend more time with books, and with only your close friends who lift your spirits.

Just be yourself and have fun. Nothing and no one matters in the world more than you. Toddlers are so happy, because they just don’t care about anyone else. What anybody thinks about them, being on their best behavior all the time, not hurting anybody’s feelings, always watching what we say to people… these are chains around us adults. Kids are free. Be like them…

You’re a wonderful person… you are kind and helpful… and that’s all that matters. 🙂

Take care…
    Loads of hugs…
    Kaddu recently posted…Desertion, Loneliness… Desolation?: Photo A Day – After DarkMy Profile

June 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Aw thanks so much Kaddu…especially for the last line. Truly appreciate that. And you’re right, kids are happy because they live in the moment and are not out to please anyone. Sigh…if only we could remain that way!

Kaddu
    June 5, 2013 at 3:36 pm

“At the moment, I just want to curl up in bed and cry. And avoid people.”

Take care…
    Loads of hugs…

June 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Miranti | Pen & Peplum
    June 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling burnt out, PB. I think people can really underestimate the impact burn out can have. And I’m so sad that there is often little support for the professionals that provide support to others. Do what you need to to take care of yourself. xx
    Miranti | Pen & Peplum recently posted…I feel it in the air…My Profile

June 5, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I haven’t had a holiday in over a year M…I think that’s part of the problem. And then this year, while I’ve been good at not taking work home, I’ve been doing so much socially that I think finally everything has just gotten to me. Definitely taking time off in July and hoping that the week away will do me good. And am going to take it easy…

Miranti | Pen & Peplum
    June 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Miranti | Pen & Peplum recently posted…I feel it in the air…My Profile

June 5, 2013 at 7:42 pm

June 6, 2013 at 12:44 am

hugs, PB! I know how hard this can be…take care, rest well.
    Titaxy recently posted…Tempestuous or Tranquil?My Profile

June 6, 2013 at 12:44 am

hugs, PB! I know how hard this can be…take care, rest well.
    Titaxy recently posted…Tempestuous or Tranquil?My Profile

Varsh
    June 6, 2013 at 5:02 am

I hope you didn’t feel bad that you cried. It might sound melodramatic but tears do go a long way in melting our pain, sorrow and troubles and finally leaving our system.
    You deserve a holiday! Make sure you take one and unburn yourself. You’re doing just what the doctor orders (well, you’re smart enough to advice yourself on what’s good for you right? :))
    Lots of hugs to you!! Go take a break and enjoy it to the fullest. 🙂
    Varsh recently posted…Simple stuffMy Profile

June 7, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Varsh…no I didn’t feel bad probably because I did it in private. But yes, definitely need a holiday!!!

Varsh
    June 6, 2013 at 5:02 am

Lots of hugs to you!! Go take a break and enjoy it to the fullest. 🙂
    Varsh recently posted…Simple stuffMy Profile

June 7, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Avada Kedavra
    June 6, 2013 at 8:52 am

I think all you need is rest PB. Why dont you take a weekend off and just relax.. sleep, watch TV or read book.. July vacation should also help you.
    Avada Kedavra recently posted…Yosemite (and more) tripMy Profile

June 7, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Unfortunately I’m working most Saturdays until July Ava. So my weekend mainly consists of Sunday and I’m trying to do some walks at the time…I know. I’m nuts.

Avada Kedavra
    June 6, 2013 at 8:52 am

Avada Kedavra recently posted…Yosemite (and more) tripMy Profile

June 7, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Aravindh
    June 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Just stumbled on this blog. Seems like you’re stressed out. I just started trying stuff like abdominal breathing and muscle relaxation to help me (you can google for them, but I can link you up later if you want) when I’m dealing with too much of panic, anxiety or mood swings, and I’m already beginning to feel the good effects.

Hope you are all right now by the time you read this. I feel for you because I deal with similar stuff sometimes. Anyway, cheers!
    Aravindh recently posted…The Pale Blue DotMy Profile

June 9, 2013 at 4:39 am

Welcome here Aravindh! The irony is that I’m a psychologist and I teach all those techniques and much more to my clients… Just don’t always apply them myself. I have been using exercise as my coping strategy and it does help but there’s a possibility that waking up at 4:30 to exercise while having late nights has also added to the burn out. 🙂 But yes, I am trying to do mindfulness to help with some of the stress. Thanks and keep visiting!

Aravindh
        June 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Oh ok, should’ve guess from your blog title. Yeah, exercise helps, but I’m too lazy to do them that frequently. -_-“”

Maybe you just need some down time or something, to help with the stress. continuously working without any time to chill will have a cumulative disastrous effect. Even you if you do the same amount of work with rest in between it might help lessen the stress. And of course friends are always there to cope.

Ok I should turn off my advice mode. *turns off switch*