Life

Letter to a friend

Dear friend,

I don’t remember the exact day we first met but I do know you were introduced to me early in life by my parents and grandparents. The very first vivid memory I have of you is around the age of 5 when I met you in the form of Enid Blyton’s Stories for you‘. I got lost in your world listening to the different stories you had to tell me. And I was hooked.

As the years went on, you were all I asked for. Every birthday gift or reward for doing well academically had me requesting some form of you. Usually by Enid Blyton. But later Nancy Drews and Little Women. I still remember how from my 11th birthday, my favourite uncle would ask me for a list of you and would get all the 6 on the list. I could get lost for hours on my birthday into the world of St. Clare’s with Pat and Isabel, or Malory Towers with Darrell and the gang or solving mysteries with Fatty and the five find-outers. Oh the fun we had!

I used you as an inspiration in my games and to motivate me to study. I would pretend to be part of Malory Towers attending boarding school and studying with a bunch of other girls and boys. More importantly, as I entered my teenage years and struggled with some personal problems like most teenagers, I headed to you, my friend. That’s because you were the one who could take me away from the harsh reality of life into wonderful worlds of wizards, witches, fairies and mysteries. A world which none could surpass. Through you, I created worlds of my own that helped cope with some of the curve balls that life would throw at me along the way.

As I grew older, my tastes changed with maturity and I began to spend time with you in the form of Sidney Sheldons and John Grishams. Then came a two year hiatus. Ironically enough, when I was studying English Literature during my first and second years of undergrad. I apologise my dear friend, but the pressures of reading books for exams got in the way. I did not enjoy Oliver Twist or Mill on the Floss and yearned for the days when I could sit with you and finish you in an hour. Fortunately, you saved me in my third year in the form of J. K. Rowling by bringing Harry Potter and his amazingly wonderful world of Hogwarts into my life. And I’ve never looked back since.

I now spend time with you in various forms. Reading you while sobbing to my heart’s content thanks to Jodi Picoult or Favel Parrett. Or being enthralled by a mystery. Or just swept away by an amazing piece of writing by Rohinton Mistry or Lionel Shriver. I always have you with me in my bag or on my bedside. I cannot go anywhere without you. Yes, I am dependent on you. You help me when I feel like shit. You are there for me even when I’m happy. You let me explore worlds without having to pay much money. And best of all, you let me live a number of lives.

Just yesterday, someone I met had a smile on their face when I described you with passion that none could surpass. Talking to them about walking into a store with millions of you was something they did not completely get. But despite not knowing me all that well, could see my love for you.

I’m almost 30 and have enjoyed the last 25-odd years with you. I sincerely hope to spend many, many more. Hopefully, till I take my last breath on this planet. Thank you for always being there for me.

Ernest Hemingway said it best:

Image Source: Here

Image Source: Here

Lots of love,

***Inspired by The Write Tribe Prompt***

• R's Mom
    August 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Awww! thats an awesome letter to a super friend :):) I was going to write something similar soon…Will look at this post for inspiration πŸ™‚

August 12, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Thanks RM! πŸ™‚ Looking forward to your post…

• R's Mom
    August 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm

August 12, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Thanks RM! πŸ™‚ Looking forward to your post…

• Motivational Blogger
    August 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hey Psych Babbler, You killed it man!
    Awesome Letter…In the mid of letter, i was thinking that someone might have introduced you to those books and now you miss him/her the most…i was just going to cry πŸ™‚ But then, at last paragraph, that picture described it best. Really motivational and inspirational letter. I am also a bookworm, i got much more motivation and inspirational from reading books instead of listening or watching to some motivational video. I like ‘How to Stop Worrying and Start Living’ and ‘How to be a Millionaire’ a lot. I might have read those books three times.
    Very Nice Letter. Thanks for taking time to write this inspirational post.
    Motivational Blogger recently posted…Words of Inspiration to discover your life’s calling…My Profile

August 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Welcome here Simerjeet! Thanks for the lovely comment…I’m humbled! Glad it evoked all those emotions. πŸ™‚

• Motivational Blogger
    August 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hey Psych Babbler, You killed it man!
    Very Nice Letter. Thanks for taking time to write this inspirational post.

August 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm

No doubt books are friends for life. A very nice post πŸ™‚
    Rainbow Hues recently posted…True LiesMy Profile

August 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Welcome here Rainbow hues! Books are amazing friends… πŸ™‚

• Cathy
    August 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Loved your letter and could totally relate. Where would we be without our books? They are wonderful how they entertain us, soothe us, make us laugh and make us feel less alone. Nice post!

August 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Welcome here Cathy! Books are amazing friends for all that you said…and probably more dependable than human friends in some ways! πŸ˜‰

• Cathy
    August 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm

August 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm

• Sheela
    August 12, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I completely felt your post……….Very nice take on the prompt
    I often get worried for the younger generation who knows a little about ‘Reading Pleasure’
    Sheela recently posted…A Wise FoolMy Profile

August 19, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Thank you Sheela! I agree…I worry about kids who don’t read although I must say with Harry Potter and the Hunger Games, some have gotten back into it.

• Sheela
    August 12, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I completely felt your post……….Very nice take on the prompt
    Sheela recently posted…A Wise FoolMy Profile

August 19, 2013 at 8:33 pm

• Carly findlay
    August 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Brilliant post! Sadly I don’t read as much now but loved reading as a kid. Endi Blyton, Roald Dahl, Little Women, Paul Jennings, Milly Molly Mandy, Gretel Killeen, Margaret Fahy, Judy Blume…
    You’re a wonderful writer, I want to read more (popping over from BlogChicks)

August 19, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thanks for the lovely comment Carly! I think sometimes life gets in the way of simple pleasures like reading… I loved Little Women too while growing up but sadly, never read Roald Dahl as a child. However, a couple of years ago, I bought his entire set of books and loved it even though I was reading it as an adult!

• Carly findlay
    August 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm

You’re a wonderful writer, I want to read more (popping over from BlogChicks)

August 19, 2013 at 8:43 pm

• Zainab
    August 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Wow, does everyone’s relationship with books start with Enid Blyton?!

I can relate with this post totally, my ‘B’ post for this year’s A-Z Blogging Challenge being (obviously) about books. Also wrote a poem about it recently πŸ˜€

Long live bibliophiles! πŸ˜‰

August 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Because she was an amazing writer! πŸ™‚ And yes, long live bibliophiles! Will check out your post…

• Zainab
    August 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Wow, does everyone’s relationship with books start with Enid Blyton?!

Long live bibliophiles! πŸ˜‰

August 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm

• Vivienne
    August 13, 2013 at 2:54 am

I was Just planning to do a post on books too, and one specifically on my Enid Blyton journey! I am a total bookworm too; books are the best friends one can have ^_^ There were books all over the house when I was growing up. No, scratch that, there are Still books all over the house!
    Guess what I was doing just before I saw your blog post? Checking the local library’s website, making a list of the available books I want to borrow on my imminent visit. Any suggestions? πŸ˜€ I had to strike 12 books from my wishlist because they’re unavailable πŸ™ There are still 8 from my list marked “available”, so I won’t be leaving empty-handed πŸ˜‰
    Vivienne recently posted…One Ingredient Ice CreamMy Profile

August 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Haha…there is something so magical about books, isn’t there? I’ve spent so much money on books over the years, it’s not funny! And added to that, I still borrow from the library as well. Would love to read your post on your Enid Blyton journey…

• Vivienne
    August 13, 2013 at 2:54 am

Vivienne recently posted…One Ingredient Ice CreamMy Profile

August 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm

• Jodie@FreshHomeCook
    August 13, 2013 at 10:50 am

Gorgeous post! It’s nice to know there are other people out there who love & respect books & stories as much as I do!! πŸ™‚
    Jodie@FreshHomeCook recently posted…Rainbow Sausage RollsMy Profile

August 19, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Welcome here Jodie! Always nice to meet a fellow bibliophile!

• Jodie@FreshHomeCook
    August 13, 2013 at 10:50 am

Jodie@FreshHomeCook recently posted…Rainbow Sausage RollsMy Profile

August 19, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Welcome here Jodie! Always nice to meet a fellow bibliophile!

• Hrishi
    August 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Ahh books, such wonderful friends.. They’re there for you in your every mood, just sitting patiently , waiting to be picked up

August 19, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I agree Hrishi…wonderful they are! πŸ™‚ Welcome to this space!

• Hrishi
    August 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm

August 19, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I agree Hrishi…wonderful they are! πŸ™‚ Welcome to this space!

• Richa Singh
    August 15, 2013 at 12:13 am

Superb! I wrote on similar lines. It is true no? That books are always there for you. It feels great to come across such posts they make me feel belonged in this word πŸ™‚
    Richa Singh recently posted…Love and Mystery- 55 fiction!My Profile

August 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Welcome here Richa! It really is true…books are always there for us! And it’s so nice to meet fellow bibliophiles! πŸ™‚

• Richa Singh