Life

Fragrant memories

This post is brought to you by Airwick

candle

Growing up, my mum had a thing for incense. Sandalwood incense in particular. Almost every morning and evening, our house would be filled with the scent of sandalwood {and the accompanying fumes} as she lit the lamps in front of god to pray. Of course, most of the time, this would result in a sniffling and sneezing me as the strong fragrance and fumes made my allergies a gazillion times worse than what they were.

Some fragrances can do that to me. Certain flowers {jasmine}, certain perfumes {flowery ones}, freshly cut grass…not a good combination for my nose!

But I digress.

Despite the negative outcomes of incense, whenever I smell a similar incense here, it brings back memories of growing up. Of mum having freshly showered and lighting the lamp. A childhood routine.

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee is another that evokes strong memories. Most mornings involved waking up to the scent of freshly brewed filter coffee. I’ve said it before and I will say it again — nothing beats good ol’ south Indian filter coffee. Coffee to me signifies early mornings and the start of a brand new day. It symbolises fresh beginnings and things to look forward to. Maybe that’s why I still cannot start my day without a cup of coffee!

When the first rain hits the dry ground, the smell of the earth is something to die for. It reminds me of my childhood playing in the very first rains of the monsoon season. Carefree. Full of life. Yet another fresh beginning. Of days spent riding around the neighbourhood or kicking a football. Of nights spent watching the thunderstorm weave its magic over the city. Of friendship.

Musky and vanilla scents are two that I adore but for some reason, cannot pinpoint the memories associated with them. All I do know is that musky scents make me feel oh-so-confident and sexy while vanilla seems to calm me. In fact, most scented candles I have at home are vanilla-ry {yes, that’s so totally a word!}

Unfortunately, not all scents have positive memories attached to them. Like the fragrance of a certain someone’s aftershave. I smelt it at the gym earlier in the month and it brought back memories of the hurt and the loss I suppose. I guess that happens.

Fortunately, there are more scents that evoke happy memories than sad ones. At least for now.

How about you?

Do you have any fragrances that evoke memories?

Do share!!

claire
    January 30, 2014 at 7:46 pm

love the smell of rain on dirt as well but cannot agree with you about the smell of coffee. there is only one thing I hate more than the taste of coffee – is its smell.
    the smell of certain makeup powders remind me of my late Nanna and she always wore powder over her makeup…..
    claire recently posted…Passport to FitnessMy Profile

claire
    January 30, 2014 at 7:46 pm

claire recently posted…Passport to FitnessMy Profile

Mi
    January 30, 2014 at 10:28 pm

There’s a typical tadka of garlic and green chillies that my mom gives to ‘dal’..Aroma of that makes me homesick..

Apart from that, johnson’s baby! For a very long time we would use that and our rooms would smell of it.. I love these fragrances! πŸ™‚
    Mi recently posted…Crack thisMy Profile

Mi
    January 30, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Mi recently posted…Crack thisMy Profile

Mi
    January 30, 2014 at 10:30 pm

the lotion….I meant… johnson’s baby! πŸ˜›
    Mi recently posted…Crack thisMy Profile

Mi
    January 30, 2014 at 10:30 pm

the lotion….I meant… johnson’s baby! πŸ˜›
    Mi recently posted…Crack thisMy Profile

January 31, 2014 at 2:11 am

oh my goodness, this post brought back so many memories. sandalwood incense (which i use at home everyday now, to recreate all the magic), filter coffee, etc. and yes yes, there are those fragrances that invoke the worst of memories too, oh well, what can one do. hugs, pb.

January 31, 2014 at 2:11 am

Alicia
    January 31, 2014 at 8:00 am

Fresh cut grass reminds me of my childhood and the smell of fresh bread. I LOVE that smell of first rains. Aftershaves and perfumes take me back to earlier years and people, all good memories πŸ™‚
    Alicia recently posted…The Beachport CinemaMy Profile

Alicia
    January 31, 2014 at 8:00 am

Alicia recently posted…The Beachport CinemaMy Profile

Nikki@WonderfullyWomen
    January 31, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I am a total Aromatherapy addict, the only scent I really can’t stand is Palmarosa, no bad memories attached, it just turns my stomach. xx N
    Nikki@WonderfullyWomen recently posted…How To Create A Powerful Vision Board!My Profile

Nikki@WonderfullyWomen
    January 31, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Avada Kedavra
    February 1, 2014 at 5:55 am

I love love love the aroma of filter coffee. That’s probably the reason why I make coffee first thing in the morning πŸ™‚

Avada Kedavra
    February 1, 2014 at 5:55 am

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    February 1, 2014 at 9:02 am

ADORE these, but I had some and then gave to my mum πŸ™ Must steal them back x
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…Hello, my name is Emily, I’m a horse and it’s my year!My Profile

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    February 1, 2014 at 9:02 am

ADORE these, but I had some and then gave to my mum πŸ™ Must steal them back x

EssentiallyJess
    February 1, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I love the smell of rain; it always smells like Christmas to me πŸ™‚
    And the smell of the soap in hospital always reminds me of having my babies, so I always wash my hands when I visit someone there. I’m a bit odd like that πŸ™‚
    Love sandal wood too. Reminds me of Bali
    EssentiallyJess recently posted…Less Toxic LivingMy Profile

EssentiallyJess
    February 1, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I love the smell of rain; it always smells like Christmas to me πŸ™‚
    Love sandal wood too. Reminds me of Bali
    EssentiallyJess recently posted…Less Toxic LivingMy Profile

Tegan
    February 1, 2014 at 3:50 pm

There is nothing better than the smell of rain. Although where I grew up had lots of Gidyea trees and they stunk once they were wet!
    Tegan recently posted…Musings Reads: January 2014My Profile