Flash Fiction

55 Fiction: Regret

medium_4617178304

photo credit: iwinatcookie via photopin cc

I was the best actor and yet, the only one with no parent in the audience. I couldn’t blame my dead mum. How I wished she were alive to see me. Dad thought my craft was useless.

Decades later, as an orphan sifting through his belongings, I found photos to every play I’d starred in.

***Linking up with Write Tribe for 55 on Friday***

27 Comments

Vanisha @ A Life Un-Styled
    February 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm

This is hauntingly beautiful.
    Vanisha @ A Life Un-Styled recently posted…Eight | Fifty-TwoMy Profile

February 23, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Thank you Vanisha! That is humbling… 🙂

Sreeja Praveen
    February 23, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Aaha… that was so refreshing a take, psychbabbler 🙂 We often don’t understand our parents thoroughly, do we? He was indeed a proud father, but the protagonist hardly knew that…. Good one, PB 🙂
    Sreeja Praveen recently posted…A Wish , Not Lost ( 55 on Friday 2014 – 2 )My Profile

February 23, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Sreeja…it is sad indeed. Although sometimes, it would be nice for parents to let their kids know they are proud of them…

Shilpa Garg
    February 24, 2014 at 5:00 am

Aah! The regret! If only…
    Beautiful story in 55 words, PB. Loved it! ♥
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Love @ Air Force By Gaurav SharmaMy Profile

Shailaja V
    February 24, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Oh the tragedy of not being expressive or demonstrative enough! Well portrayed, PB!

February 25, 2014 at 11:44 am

How many dads do we know like that, huh Shailaja? 🙂 At least back when we were young. Thanks for the lovely comment! 🙂

Mi
    February 24, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Aww… sometimes there is always a gap in expression, between parents and children, and one misunderstands, unnecessarily. This one was good! 🙂 Crisp and to the point! 🙂

vishalbheeroo
    February 24, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Powerful take on the prompt. My heart melted. It’s so true! Love and affection are things that money or fame cannot buy:)

February 25, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Vishal! 🙂 It’s sad that some parents don’t express themselves…

Beloo Mehra
    February 24, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Wonderful, and wonderfully told!
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…O Jaane Wale…My Profile

February 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Welcome here Beloo! And thank you! 🙂

Nibha
    February 25, 2014 at 12:38 am

touching! It indeed hurts when parents don’t understand their child’s talent!
    Nibha recently posted…Reverie (55 Fiction)My Profile

February 25, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Nibha…it does…but even more so when parents don’t say anything!

nabanita
    February 25, 2014 at 1:23 am

Oh I also chose regret as my theme but your’s is so much better! Wonderful post
    nabanita recently posted…Regret….My Profile

February 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Haha…great minds think alike Naba! Heading over to read yours now… 🙂

February 25, 2014 at 2:08 am

that’s so sad. beautifully written.
    Titaxy recently posted…RainbowMy Profile

Damaria Senne
    February 25, 2014 at 6:58 am

You packed a lot of story into those few lines. Made me wonder about so many things – the dad.. why he couldn’y articulate his pride, whether he knew his child did not feel that their talent was valued. the mom – when she died, how she died, whether dad would have trod the same path if she lived.
    Damaria Senne recently posted…H Is For Home OfficeMy Profile

February 25, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Welcome here Damaria! Thanks for the lovely comment…I’m kinda glad it made you think about so many questions…it’s stuff that we can never really answer. As for dads who don’t communicate their pride, well, I know a lot of us who live that! 😐

Ida Chiavaro
    February 27, 2014 at 1:06 am

I can’t think of a better word than haunting either. I used to get embarrassed about my Dad showing up to every performance, he often stood in the back, but I always knew he was there 🙂
    Ida Chiavaro recently posted…Alzheimer’s, old boyfriends and Aussie slang.My Profile

Leigh W. Smith
    February 28, 2014 at 1:57 pm

You’ve done a lot with just a few words. Poignant, and with an unexpected ending. Great work!
    Leigh W. Smith recently posted…Trifextra Week 103: Of Heroes HirsuteMy Profile

Loni Townsend
    March 1, 2014 at 12:41 am

Wow. That actually gave me chills. I loved it!
    Loni Townsend recently posted…Featured Photo FridayMy Profile

Kajal
    March 1, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Your work reflects in your posts, PB. This one tugged my heart…ah regrets!

Kajal recently posted…Announcement : Write Tribe Festival of Words 3My Profile

Aditi
    March 10, 2014 at 12:13 am

Wow this was beautiful. So many emotions, all conveyed so well in just 55!
    Aditi recently posted…Am I asking for too much?My Profile