Life

Jewels in my crown. Or ears.

This post is brought to you by Michael Hill

Growing up in an Indian household, I have been exposed to jewellery since a young age. Especially gold jewellery. As an Indian girl, you have your ears pierced as a little baby {a good thing I later learnt!}. You are also told about all the jewellery you will receive from your mother and her mother and her mother’s mother when you are of age {read: married off!}. Yes, jewellery is a big thing.

Like most of my dislike for all things Indian, predictably, I never fell in love with chunky gold jewellery. Instead I remember falling in love with this one jewellery set my mum had — a silver set with a garnet. It was the only non-gold item in her jewellery case. And it was beautiful. Sadly, while playing around with it once, I managed to lose the ring, Down the drain. Literally.

Neither mum nor I was happy.

Fast forward to my college days and I suddenly went through a whole new phase in life. Especially when it came to jewellery. I was still conscious about my body and being a bit overweight so fashion wasn’t really a priority. Instead, I got my ears pierced {2 more holes on each side} and started wearing rings on all fingers. Some gold. Some fakes. Nothing chunky. But a lot that was funky. I even had a ring like Phoebe did halfway through my finger!

Image: Michael Hill

Image: Michael Hill

I was excited about my ear piercings and the ability to experiment. But I soon learnt that my ears were sensitive. In other words, apparently nothing other than gold suited my ears. If I tried silver, the skin would peel off after a few days. If I tried artificial stuff, my ears would get sore and infected within a day. I was devastated. Basically I had to resort to wearing yellow gold hoops on all three piercings. How exciting. Not.

Image: Michael Hill

Image: Michael Hill

After coming to Australia, I continued the boring yellow gold trend. And then figured I’d try my luck with some sterling silver jewellery every now and then. I’d wear them to dates and dinners and nights out with the girls.

Image: Michael Hill

Image: Michael Hill

But I think I pushed my luck a bit too far and in 2012, two of my piercings had a bad reaction and I couldn’t have any earrings in them for a while. Resulting in them closing.

So I went back to the yellow gold. Until one day when I was browsing in Michael Hill at my local shopping centre something struck me. White gold! Of course, I didn’t know how my ears would react. But surely, it was worth a try. Here was something that was gold. And it looked nice and shiny — like silver. And most importantly, it was still affordable {unlike say platinum!}

Image: Michael Hill

Image: Michael Hill

So I bought a couple of white gold hoops. And it was great! My sensitive ears were perfectly fine. Call me vain but I was excited. I could now wear something that wasn’t yellow gold {which to me represents Indianness} and actually enjoy it. As some of you might know, I got three more piercings in my ears in December last year. And then bought another pair of white gold hoops as well as a pair of studs {for the piercing on the top}. It’s something I can wear every day. And when I want to really dress it up, all I have to do is change the bottom earrings. To something dangly that I saw at Michael Hill like this:

Image: Michael Hill

Image: Michael Hill

So simple!

What about you?

What’s your jewellery and metal of choice? Do you like the chunky styles or the more simple delicate ones?

Do share!

Soumya
    April 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I hate yellow gold too. Being a South Indian I was given more than a kilo gram of it for my wedding, I just wore it for that day! Its platinum for me any day, or silver too. White metal. The yellow thingie sucks.
    Soumya recently posted…N – NeedlesMy Profile

April 17, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Oh god…the south Indian thing adds heaps more yellow gold…I’m south Indian too and hence why mum and everyone else has so much yellow gold. I told her when I inherit it, I’m going to sell it and buy white gold stuff! :p

Soumya
    April 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Soumya recently posted…N – NeedlesMy Profile

April 17, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Corinne Rodrigues
    April 17, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I’ve never tried white gold but these do look lovely, PB!
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Immortal Nelson Mandela QuotesMy Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    April 17, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I’ve never tried white gold but these do look lovely, PB!
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Immortal Nelson Mandela QuotesMy Profile

Janet aka Middle Aged Mama
    April 17, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Ooo I love the earrings at the bottom! I find cheap earrings irritate my ears, I can wear them for a few hours but that’s all. Sterling silver and gold are fine though!

Also I was wondering why I hadn’t read your blog in ages, turns out I was signed up to your old site in Bloglovin. Now fixed! 🙂
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted…5 Out-of-the-Box Weekend ActivitiesMy Profile

Janet aka Middle Aged Mama
    April 17, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Beloo Mehra
    April 18, 2014 at 1:51 am

Well as you probably know through my blog now I actually adore everything which reminds me of my Indian-ness and India. But despite that I am not too fond of gold jewelry, esp the chunky ones. I can handle some light-weight and simple gold designs, but my personal favourite is also silver stuff, which to me actually speaks more of Indian-ness 🙂 All those beautiful silver designs, chokers, bangles and ear-rings – almost each part of India has its own special designs/motifs in silver and I like them all 🙂
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…O is for Opportunity, “Opportunity to Develop All that is Best in the Nature”My Profile

Beloo Mehra
    April 18, 2014 at 1:51 am

Michelle Liew
    April 18, 2014 at 2:59 am

Lovely…nothing like jewelry to express ourselves.
    Michelle Liew recently posted…Why O is cheeryMy Profile

Michelle Liew
    April 18, 2014 at 2:59 am

Lovely…nothing like jewelry to express ourselves.
    Michelle Liew recently posted…Why O is cheeryMy Profile

Surely Sarah
    April 18, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I think I’m lucky in that I’ve always been able to put anything in my ears and not have a reaction! In my younger years I had a large collection of cheap, dangly earrings but as I got older I started to simplify and now i wear only three different types of plain silver hoops or studs. I’m a silver girl all the way! Though my wedding rings are white gold :p
    Surely Sarah recently posted…Going Above and Beyond at the OfficeMy Profile

Surely Sarah
    April 18, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Surely Sarah recently posted…Going Above and Beyond at the OfficeMy Profile

Ananya Kiran
    April 18, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I love variety , love the white and yellow gold equally. I wear silver and pearl ear rings 🙂 both big , small and very big !
    Ananya Kiran recently posted…PRETENDING…My Profile

Rajlakshmi
    April 20, 2014 at 1:23 am

Thank you… Thank you for this. All through college my ears looked rotten because I wore a non gold earring for one dance show. With great difficulty I got the natural color of my ears back. But I am wearing such a boring earring… I was wondering what to do. Will check out the site. 🙂
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…The Quad BikersMy Profile

J.Gi Federizo
    April 21, 2014 at 1:28 am

I’m not a jewelry person and most of the few I have were from my mother and my sister. I wear them once in a while. I don’t even know how to find out if one is real gold or not. I can’t wear earrings as well, like you *sigh*
    J.Gi Federizo recently posted…The Legend of the Fifth TurtleMy Profile