Fiction

The Unwelcome Visitor

doubt

She arrived one day as an unexpected visitor. Whispering things I didn’t want to hear. She told me nasty things about myself. She said I was a failure. That I would amount to nothing. That I wasn’t good enough. That the future looked bleak for me. Was it just a coincidence that she repeated the same things that a teacher once told me?

She was an unwelcome visitor. She made me want to run away.

Friends suggested “Just do it and ignore her.”

But it’s hard when she resides in my head and speaks with my voice.

She is self-doubt.

***Linking up with Write Tribe for Wednesday Prompt and 100 Words on Saturday***

photo credit: Saint Huck via photopin cc

15 Comments

Geeta Nair
    April 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Self doubt is indeed an unwelcome visitor. The earlier we throw her out, the better for us.
    Wonderful take on the prompt Psych.
    Geeta Nair recently posted…An unexpected visitorMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    April 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Oh yes, the voices of self doubt in the head can be pretty loud and pretty persuasive too. Crushing it is the bestest solution! Good one, PB 🙂
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…What’s it Like to be a Kid?My Profile

Shailaja V
    April 6, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Beautiful and poignant, PB. As much as we try to shut it out, that wretched voice raises its tone every now and then. As long as we have faith and belief, we can shut it out.
    Shailaja V recently posted…A warm feelingMy Profile

sugandha
    April 6, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Self doubts and self inspiration always have this little constant fight inside our head…well written 🙂

Sreeja Praveen
    April 6, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Good that you chucked her out. She’ll be the prime hindrance in achievement !!
    Sreeja Praveen recently posted…A to Z Random Post # 5 – E – Empathy !My Profile

Eli
    April 6, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Beautifully written on something I think all of us deals with from time to time. Only solution: give her a long hard kick – and never let her inside again. Like ever! Never:-)
    Eli recently posted…E for EgyptMy Profile

Danny Simon
    April 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm

That’s the thing that kills us really! Destroys us completely! And that’s also why we ought to surround ourselves with people who believe in us! Great post….n thoughtful!
    Danny Simon recently posted…E for EncouragementMy Profile

Nibha
    April 6, 2014 at 6:59 pm

This unwelcomed visitor visits me often! Short yet strong post! I loved the way you combined both the prompts!
    Nibha recently posted…The Sunday Scroll #1My Profile

Beloo Mehra
    April 7, 2014 at 12:24 am

That’s a great way to combine the two prompts. But more than that, it is a wonderful reminder for all of us! Very nicely written, PB!
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…Oil and WaterMy Profile

priya raj
    April 7, 2014 at 1:49 am

Aww.. can relate to this.. The thing that surely has to be put out, by one’s self-determination!
    priya raj recently posted…A trap of love!My Profile

nabanita
    April 7, 2014 at 5:35 am

Oh she truly is the unwelcome visitor but she keeps us alert also na?
    nabanita recently posted…F is for Faithful in FriendshipMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    April 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

The monstrous self doubt… So difficult to shut her down. Brilliant write.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…The Friendship RamificationMy Profile

R's Mom
    April 7, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Sigh…you have such a wonderful way of writing!

simple girl
    April 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm

SELF DOUBT is tiring ..
    simple girl recently posted…AtoZchallenge – G for Gyandal pataMy Profile

usha menon
    April 11, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Self doubt sometimes makes us do wrong. Think positive.
    usha menon recently posted…An unexpected visitorMy Profile