A to Z Challenge Blogging

Reflections on the A to Z Challenge #atozchallenge

I am very late to the party. Which is actually kinda like my A to Z experience along the way. When I signed up for the April A to Z Challenge around March, I knew I had to schedule my posts. Which I did. Sort of. I had about 13 or 14 scheduled before April but it was those last 10 to 12 plus having a very busy life schedule in April with socialising, hiking, camping, exercising and well, working, I slacked off in replying to comments on my blog or commenting on other blogs. Which resulted in a whole lot of guilt!

Here are some lessons I learnt along the way:

1. Having a theme is helpful. Oh-so-helpful. It really helped with those posts that I hadn’t written and scheduled beforehand. I had a theme and knew I had to write something around it rather than sifting through the zillion things in my brain to come up with a post that made sense and resonated with people.

2. Schedule posts. If I were to do this again I will definitely make sure all my posts are scheduled before April. It helped in the beginning and I was able to read other blogs and comment as well as reply to comments on my own. Things began going downhill when I had to write my own posts a day or two before the due day. Scheduling posts beforehand means that even if life gets in the way {and trust me, with April having its fair share of public holidays, it does!} you can still be on top of things.

3. Auto-tweet other bloggers’ posts.I noticed that some bloggers I follow managed to auto-tweet my posts almost around the time my post was up. I would love to reciprocate in a similar manner and need to get my head around how to do it!

4. Sometimes, a daily challenge results in not being able to visit other blogs I love. This saddened me. There are several Australian bloggers I follow and apart from Zita, Pinky Poinker and Floodproof Mum, I didn’t know any other bloggers I regularly follow who participated in this challenge. The busy-ness of April meant I slacked off in reading blogs that didn’t participate in the challenge but those that I love to read. I also missed out on weekly link-ups with Jess, Toni and Grace.  Sure I found some new bloggers to follow but it doesn’t mean I want to give up on my previous blog-loves. 🙂

5. Too much of something can result in feeling drained. Yes, it happened. I think I was so exhausted by blogging every day in April that May took a massive hit! This is only my fourth post for the month and we are halfway through this month. I didn’t even look at my laptop or read any posts for a whole week this month. And that is so unlike me! It did coincide with me being very social, organising my first ever camping trip, working, seeing my physio, exercising, and thinking about my upcoming holidays but yes, I truly couldn’t find the words to write. The ideas were still brewing in my head but there was a major block in penning them down. Hopefully now, I’m back on track!

On the whole, while the challenge was enjoyable, if I were to do it again, I would have to rethink some of my strategies. It is highly likely that if I schedule all my posts, everything else will just fall in place.

Is it weird though that I have already started thinking about themes for next year???

What were your thoughts on the challenge if you participated?

What’s your view on posting daily?

Do share!

• Obsessivemom
    May 18, 2014 at 3:39 am

Absolutely right on each of those points. Scheduling in advance is the key. After vowing not to take up another monthly challenge I too am already thinking up next year’s theme. That’s what made me realise how much fun I had.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…One happy Mother’s DayMy Profile

• Obsessivemom
    May 18, 2014 at 3:39 am

Obsessivemom recently posted…One happy Mother’s DayMy Profile

• simple girl
    May 18, 2014 at 12:00 pm

even I agree with scheduling all the 26 posts from beforehand and I wondered few times about next years theme..
    simple girl recently posted…AtoZchallenge – Z for… Oh yes, the last post for the challengeMy Profile

• simple girl
    May 18, 2014 at 12:00 pm

• Nibha
    May 18, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Seriously blogging daily does takes a toll on us, and we all have slowed down after the challenge so its not only you!! I’m too guilty of not following all the ones I love!!
    Nibha recently posted…InnocenceMy Profile

• Nibha
    May 18, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Nibha recently posted…InnocenceMy Profile

• Zita
    May 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm

As you know I felt exactly the same! Definitely have to do the scheduled posts and I too feel the guilt of not keeping up with everything. I still feel like I am playing catch up with my ‘usual’ blogs, let alone the ones I discovered along the way.. I have no idea about this ‘auto-tweet’ thing! sounds interesting.. I also agree about the theme! So much easier, and I have been thinking of one as well! haha… Although I am liking the Blog every day in May that some people are doing this month, where a prompt is given! I am all for prompts! haha, but there was NO WAY I could dive straight into another challenge!!
    Zita recently posted…for my third book review..My Profile