Life

The one where I get inked

So yesterday was a bit of a milestone day for me. I got to cross out one thing from my 35 by 35 list by getting a tattoo. Yes, I finally got one! πŸ™‚

Hummingbird

Until earlier this year, I kept wanting to get a phoenix as my tattoo to represent just how much I have changed since 2012 and to symbolise rising from the ashes in a way. But then, during my road trip last week, I happened to be looking online one night and read about hummingbirds and what they represent.

The hummingbirdΒ represents loving and living life to the fullest. Additionally, it can also represent overcoming hardships and troubled times. The hummingbird is also constantly on the go and symbolises vigour and energy. And finally, it also represents freedom. These were the main symbols of the bird that spoke to me. I mean, living life — that’s been my motto since the start of this year. I figured having the bird with the words ‘Live your life, Follow your heart‘ would be perfect because these are the very words inscribed on a pair of bangles gifted to me on my birthday this year by my friend M.

I quickly Googled tattoo artists in my local area and Ocean Ink came up in the search. From there, I looked at the artists’ portfolios. There was one artist named Elizabeth Lemon and I took that as a sign. {30 Rock fans will know what I mean…}. So I booked a consult with her for Wednesday {the day I returned}, had a chat about the tattoo. I wanted it on my wrist and because I have tiny wrists, she suggested having the words would be too much. But then, she figured just having ‘Live your life‘ would work.

And that was that. I booked an appointment for Friday and prior to it was very anxious. My house mate was worried I’d chicken out and offered to come but I didn’t want to be embarrassed in case I cried.

Turns out, I needn’t have worried. The pain wasn’t as bad as I’d imagined. It was like being at the dentist for cleaning your teeth. Less painful in some ways because it wasn’t on my face! It was all done in 45 minutes. And then in 3 hours, I was able to remove the glad wrap and see it in all its glory and well, show it off on Instagram.

So yes, I have been super-excited since getting it and I can’t stop admiring it.Β I will be putting it up on my personal Facebook page later today as I want my friends to see it in person tonight. I have no idea how my parents are going to react! πŸ˜€

Oh…and I can totally see how people become addicted to getting tattoos.

Just saying πŸ˜‰

Do you have a tattoo? What does it mean to you?

Do share!

RED HANDED
    May 31, 2014 at 3:32 pm

That tattoo looks gorgeous..And a good thought behind it too.
    I want a tattoo but I dont think I am ready for it.

June 1, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thanks Red…I’m sure you’ll know when you’re ready. Do you know what you want? πŸ™‚

RED HANDED
    May 31, 2014 at 3:32 pm

That tattoo looks gorgeous..And a good thought behind it too.
    I want a tattoo but I dont think I am ready for it.

June 1, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Zita
    May 31, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I love it and I love the thought you have put into the design and the meaning of the hummingbird. I have one tattoo (as you probably know) which is my sister initials, I got it not long after she passed away.. Very keen to get another, have it planned, just got to gather up the courage!
    Zita recently posted…for some cutenessMy Profile

June 1, 2014 at 9:09 pm

It’d be cool to see the next tattoo you get as well Zita…looking forward to it! πŸ™‚

Zita
    May 31, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Zita recently posted…for some cutenessMy Profile

June 1, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Mi
    May 31, 2014 at 8:30 pm

The tattoo looks amazing… And great thought behind it… I wanna have an infinity symbol with words love and life on it… I wonder when ill get it. I am too scarws… But i know what i want n where.. πŸ˜› this has inspired me… πŸ™‚

June 1, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Mi…I love your idea for a tattoo…you must get it!! I’m sure if you go to a good place, and well, depending on where you want to get it, it won’t hurt. Not that much anyway!

Mi
    May 31, 2014 at 8:30 pm

June 1, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Aathira
    May 31, 2014 at 9:40 pm

That looks amazing πŸ™‚ I want one too but still scared thinking about it.. Maybe some day…
    Aathira recently posted…A bond across timeMy Profile

June 1, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Aathira…I was quite nervous too but honestly, it didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would. If you know what you want, go for it! πŸ™‚

Aathira
    May 31, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Aathira recently posted…A bond across timeMy Profile

June 1, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Soumya
    June 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm

The thought behind the tattoo is awesome and its looks wonderful and apt for you! πŸ˜€

I love the way you live your life in your own way and that’s something I respect heaps about you. This same thing keeps me coming back here everytime.

Stay awesome!
    Soumya recently posted…Forever Means ForeverMy Profile

June 1, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much lovely! Love the kind words… πŸ™‚

Soumya
    June 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Stay awesome!
    Soumya recently posted…Forever Means ForeverMy Profile

June 1, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thank you so much lovely! Love the kind words… πŸ™‚

Beloo Mehra
    June 1, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Way to go, girl! The tattoo looks great. And I like the symbolism of the hummingbird, it surely speaks so well of all that you are seeking at the moment and what is important for you.
    I have often thought that I would like to get one myself, but only if it didn’t hurt so much….. oh well πŸ™‚ Some day perhaps!
    Beloo Mehra recently posted…Why Should I WriteMy Profile

June 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Beloo…I guess in terms of it hurting, it would depend on where you get it.

Beloo Mehra
    June 1, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Beloo Mehra recently posted…Why Should I WriteMy Profile

June 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Dr Roshan R
    June 1, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Two things: Really? You see the words ‘Liz Lemon’ and you go towards her? πŸ˜€ What would Jack say if he saw you? Can you picture him shaking his head and looking pitifully at you ? πŸ˜€

But seriously.. I loved the design. Its different, ain’t run-of-the- mill and after reading your description, a part of me too is wondering whether I should get one πŸ˜€
    Dr Roshan R recently posted…Asian Paints “Aquadur PU: Luxury Aqua Wood Finish” – ReviewMy Profile

Dr Roshan R
    June 1, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Kathy Combs
    June 2, 2014 at 2:05 am

I love your tattoo and the meaning behind it!! I have never been compelled to get a tattoo because I am a big wimp and personally I would think the whole process would be painful. Then I am afraid I would wake up later and regret it.
    Kathy Combs recently posted…Interview with an AuthorMy Profile

Kathy Combs
    June 2, 2014 at 2:05 am

Kathy Combs recently posted…Interview with an AuthorMy Profile

vishalbheeroo
    June 2, 2014 at 2:58 am

Awesome tattoo! M dying to have one in December if I go to Mumbai..never had one but wanna get one..one thing on earth I wanna do:)
    vishalbheeroo recently posted…The blind date and lethal loveMy Profile

vishalbheeroo
    June 2, 2014 at 2:58 am

vishalbheeroo recently posted…The blind date and lethal loveMy Profile

Carol Graham
    June 2, 2014 at 3:47 am

The other night I dreamed I had a hug tatoo on both arms. I woke up terrified I had taken the plunge but I hadn’t πŸ™‚ I guess I am a wimp??
    Carol Graham recently posted…There Is No Warning Rattle At The DoorMy Profile

Carol Graham
    June 2, 2014 at 3:47 am

Carol Graham recently posted…There Is No Warning Rattle At The DoorMy Profile

Aditi
    June 2, 2014 at 5:18 am

PB this is so so cool!! Love what the hummingbird symbolizes. Love your spirit girl!! I might get inked some day…..some day!!
    Aditi recently posted…Delhi Decor: Hidden treauresMy Profile

Aditi
    June 2, 2014 at 5:18 am

Aditi recently posted…Delhi Decor: Hidden treauresMy Profile

simple girl
    June 2, 2014 at 2:54 pm

The tattoo is perfect for you. Before I started with my job, I was pretty sure to get one done. But then now I don’t intend to..
    simple girl recently posted…A to Z reflections post….My Profile

simple girl
    June 2, 2014 at 2:54 pm

simple girl recently posted…A to Z reflections post….My Profile

June 2, 2014 at 11:29 pm

super! love the message behind why you got this particular one. it’s gorgeous, PB πŸ™‚

June 2, 2014 at 11:29 pm

R's Mom
    June 4, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Oh I missed this post…you actually got a tatoo done…baap rey *falls at feet* I wouldnt do it at all..just dont have the guts…super pretty one too πŸ™‚

R's Mom
    June 4, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Shailaja V
    June 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I love the tattoo and what it stands for! She has done an amazing job with the art. I admire things like tattoos but I wouldn’t get one, primarily for the pain reason, I suppose. It looks beautiful on you. Fits you like a glove <3
    Shailaja V recently posted…The Greatest loss- Part 1{#Writing 101}My Profile

Shailaja V
    June 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Shailaja V recently posted…The Greatest loss- Part 1{#Writing 101}My Profile

A change in the air. Maybe | Over Cups of Coffee
    June 12, 2014 at 11:16 pm

[…] Being ok with not being perfect. Being independent. Energetic. Spontaneous. Free. Kinda like what my tattoo signifies. I also want to be a bit more open. Especially given that I’m genuinely pursuing […]

A change in the air. Maybe | Over Cups of Coffee
    June 12, 2014 at 11:16 pm

A change in the air. Maybe | Living my Imperfect Life
    August 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

A change in the air. Maybe | Living my Imperfect Life
    August 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Shalini
    August 26, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I missed this post earlier. But, I’m glad I read it now. I adore your tattoo. And the story behind it is awesome! It’s so pretty and I badly want one. I’m not doing a tattoo primarily because of my parents(oh yeah, I know!!)and my hubby!!. But I guess I will do it on the spur of a moment like I straightened my hair πŸ˜› I will run to my Dad and say, “Look what I’ve done Dad” πŸ˜›

Shalini
    August 26, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Alysha Herrmann
    July 27, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Love it and the meaning behind it.

I’d wanted my tattoo since I was 14, and took the plunge when I was 19 after overcoming some big hurdles – namely leaving my abusive partner and completing Year 12 as the single parent of a toddler!

My tattoo is on the small of my back because my hands and the small of my back have always been my two favourite body parts and I wanted it to be somewhere others wouldn’t see it accidentally (as it’s for me, not them). It’s a small kanji of truth. The short version of the story behind it, is that I really value truth – in the sense of finding the truth, being honest with yourself and offering others the truth – but truth is also complex and you and I could both relate the same story and tell the truth but our versions, our truths would be different. So I wanted to write truth on my body in a language that I can’t read, to remind me to look deeper, to remind me that what I think is the truth isn’t necessarily the truth and what others tell me is what they know to be true, but that doesn’t make it complete. To remind me to be patient, to be gentle, to be true and to laugh at myself.

So maybe the symbol on my back actually really means ‘hairy donkey’ in Japanese. But that’s kind of the point.

I’m 30 now and often think of adding more art to more body as I love the way it looks on many people, but I’m actually scared of the pain!
    Alysha Herrmann recently posted…A new portraitMy Profile

Alysha Herrmann
    July 27, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Love it and the meaning behind it.

Alysha Herrmann recently posted…A new portraitMy Profile

Scott
    August 23, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Hi, thanks for the story! Normally people get the same old tattoos everyday, picking them from a catalogue without knowing anything about meaning. What do you think about custom made tattoos? Thanks

Scott