Soapbox Issues

medium_1045709386
photo credit: jayhem via photopin cc

Unless you’ve been living under a rock in Australia, you probably heard about Ian Thorpe coming out during an interview with Sir Michael Parkinson. I know people have speculated about his sexuality for years and some are now questioning why he didn’t come out before or else about the timing of his revelation. {Basically, damned if you do and damned if you don’t}

To be honest, his choice of timing is nobody’s business but Thorpe’s.

But I want to thank him.

On behalf of all my young clients either struggling with their sexuality or who are out and proud but struggling with homophobic peers. Because having a role model like Thorpe who is an athlete and proud of his sexuality is a great thing.

I have one client in particular I am thinking about as I write this. I am quite fond of this young person and his family and love how supportive they are and how he is so out and proud. I still remember his parents saying they knew he was gay when he was probably 6. And I love how he has always been proud of his sexuality. Sadly though, the world we live in is a different place. This kid went to a high school that emphasised sport. And unfortunately, sport and homophobia seem to go hand-in-hand and this kid was the victim of a lot of bullying {being called ‘faggot’ and ‘poof’ like Thorpe} which in turn led to mental health problems. It made me livid that schools weren’t doing much more to prevent homophobia. To make it a safer place for young people who identified as LGBT.

I don’t care that Thorpe didn’t come out before. I bet he had his reasons. While most of society is tolerant, there are still some idiots out there *cough*our PM*cough* who think of homosexuality as something abhorrent. It’s not surprising Thorpe was worried. The sporting world in particular is a cruel one for gay men. He struggled with depression due to all this. But you know what? Even if he had come out earlier, he probably would have struggled with mental health issues. Just like my young client.

So once again Thorpe, I’m glad you came out. For the sake of all the young boys and girls out there who are struggling with their sexuality. For being able to be a voice for them. For being able to stand up to the homophobia that is rife. For normalising mental health and the struggle that is so real.

For giving my client hope and strength to stand up against those homophobic taunts he receives.

I also hope it’s a huge weight off your own shoulders.

Thank you.

***Linking with Jess for IBOT because it’s a Tuesday***

P.S. Have you entered the Imperfect Giveaway yet? Entries close on the 31st July!

Hugzilla
    July 15, 2014 at 7:14 am

Great post. It’s a shame that people need to be “brave” just to be honest with the world about who they are. I hope it brings him some measure of peace, and that people can stop speculating about things that don’t concern them.

Hugzilla recently posted…Five Reasons Why Half-Birthdays are BullshitMy Profile

Hugzilla
    July 15, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hugzilla recently posted…Five Reasons Why Half-Birthdays are BullshitMy Profile

EssentiallyJess
    July 15, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I missed the interview, but I caught all the details through SM. I don’t think anyone was surprised. It will be interesting to see what we hear of him next. I hope he can continue to fight though the mental health issues.
    EssentiallyJess recently posted…‘Cause That’s What Writers Do #IBOTMy Profile

EssentiallyJess
    July 15, 2014 at 4:07 pm

EssentiallyJess recently posted…‘Cause That’s What Writers Do #IBOTMy Profile

simple girl
    July 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I haven’t seen the interview yet , but like you said that it will help others to live life..
    simple girl recently posted…The farewellMy Profile

simple girl
    July 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm

simple girl recently posted…The farewellMy Profile

Mark
    July 15, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I honestly don’t know what to think.

Essentially I didn’t care before and now that he’s come out I still don’t really care. Each to there own. Live and live I say.
    Mark recently posted…Wouldn’t It Be Great If We All Had TaglinesMy Profile

Mark
    July 15, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I honestly don’t know what to think.

Mark recently posted…Wouldn’t It Be Great If We All Had TaglinesMy Profile

Sarah from Creating Contentment
    July 15, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I wrote about Thorpe too! I think it is interesting that we are all so interested in something that is essentially a private act.
    Sarah from Creating Contentment recently posted…allow others to make their own decisionsMy Profile

Sarah from Creating Contentment
    July 15, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    July 15, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Fantastic post and lovely to hear how it is helping your clients. What a special woman you are lovely – to be able to help so many hurt and broken souls! I say a big congrats to Thorpe too – poor guy having to feel so ashamed of who he is, it’s just not right x Em – also visiting as part of #teamIBOT
    Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me recently posted…This book kick-started my journey to awesome!My Profile

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me
    July 15, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Rajlakshmi
    July 15, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Yup I read about it and then went on to read about other handsome dudes who were gay 🙂 … It pains me to think that school authorities are not doing anything about it. I am glad that your client’s parents are so supportive. It’s good to see such understanding parents.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…A Happy Happy PostMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    July 15, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Rajlakshmi recently posted…A Happy Happy PostMy Profile

corinne@everydaygyaan.com
    July 16, 2014 at 2:24 am

It must always be more difficult for celebrities, especially sportsmen. I’m glad he did come out though. Like you said, makes it easier for younger people to do the same!
    corinne@everydaygyaan.com recently posted…Malala Day 2014 #STRONGERTHANMy Profile

corinne@everydaygyaan.com
    July 16, 2014 at 2:24 am

Bikram
    July 16, 2014 at 2:25 am

I am amzed in today’s day and age also people have a problem with the sexuality of others ..

well done to IAN . good of him

Bikram’s
    Bikram recently posted…Look UpMy Profile

Bikram
    July 16, 2014 at 2:25 am

well done to IAN . good of him

Bikram’s
    Bikram recently posted…Look UpMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    July 17, 2014 at 2:51 am

It is sad that LGBT community has to bear so much of stigma and discrimination. Sexuality is a personal choice but this behavior from our society can impact this community so deeply and badly.
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…A Scandalous PropositionMy Profile