Writing

Sharing your writing

4942176109_af19ca7a69_z

My second semester of uni started this week. I’m taking units in Freelance Writing {which is more about critical reviews} and Short Fiction Writing. Since commencing this course last year, I realised one of the most challenging things and yet, most worthwhile, is sharing your writing. You think it would be easy given that I’ve been blogging for close to 8 years. After all, I have random people from across the globe reading things about my personal life, my rants, my flaws and my attempts at creativity. But you know what? That’s easy. Because I don’t get to see any of you while you are reading my blog.

On the other hand, having to read out my attempts at creativity in a class of about 20 people and get their constructive feedback is quite daunting. No one is ever nasty; people are too nice for that. But at the same time, you cannot help but wonder what they might be thinking. As writers, we are our harshest critic. Most of the poems, short stories or flash fiction attempts I’ve posted here, have been done so quite apprehensively. I’ve been able to hit the post button though because, in the end, I figure if people don’t like it, they just won’t comment. Plus not seeing your reactions really helps!

When you write, it’s not just a story. It’s your story. It’s your baby. It’s your creation. And while you can be your harshest critic, you can also be your baby’s staunchest supporter when evaluated. Or you might take it personally and feel like you are being criticized. And neither of this is helpful if the goal is to hone your writing skills.

I know that in order to become a better writer, the workshopping at university is going to help. In fact, it is required. I am trying harder this semester to get out of my comfort zone and read out some of my writing. In the process, I am being a lot more vulnerable. I am opening up. I’m taking a big risk.

Sharing my writing is going to be tough.

But whoever said that things had to be easy?

How are you when sharing your writing? How do you deal with feedback?

Do share!

***Linking with Ann for Things I know, Robo for The Lounge and Grace for FYBF***

Photo License: Copyright All rights reserved by jpc79. Photo accessed from here.

• Ness
    February 27, 2015 at 12:17 am

Yes, sharing writing is excruciating for me! I started going to a local writing group recently and was TERRIFIED that I had to read it out in front of others. And this is basically just a bunch of women at the community centre just trying to have a bit of a creative outlet, not a professional university course. I’d probably faint if I did anything like that! You’re much braver than me. Keep doing what you’re doing!
    Ness recently posted…Soggy Sandwiches And Other SagasMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      February 28, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I started some years ago by doing a community college course but only read out a poem once. I was waaaay too nervous back then Ness. I guess in a way, it pushes us out of our comfort zone

• nabanita
    February 27, 2015 at 1:52 am

It’s hard… As you said it’s your baby, it’s our baby and it’s scary to share it with others.. Every time I publish a post I feel some apprehension.. But as you also said it’s the only way we can grow as writers , bloggers…
    nabanita recently posted…The Dummies’ Guide to The Great Cricket Holiday DestinationsMy Profile

• Sheethal
    February 27, 2015 at 1:58 am

Always hard… only my close friends know I actually have a blog. But feedback i take it in a good way. As you said, it’s our baby and always will be. 🙂
    Sheethal recently posted…Thankful Tuesdays – #3 FamilyMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      February 28, 2015 at 3:15 pm

A lot of my friends didn’t even know I had a blog until last year maybe…and now I find it even more daunting when I hit publish!

• Swati
    February 27, 2015 at 3:48 am

Hey
    I am very new to the blogging world and feel jittery while publishing my post.
    Each of my post has been written with utmost care and love as you said just like a baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Swati
    Swati recently posted…The Menace of Swine FluMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      February 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Welcome to blogging and this space Swati! It is quite nerve wracking when you begin I’m sure… 🙂

• Nibha
    February 27, 2015 at 4:26 am

When you write, it’s not just a story. It’s your story. It’s your baby. Truly said. And when it comes to our own creation, we do become a little defensive, Sharing our writing is like sharing a part of ourselves and it can never be easy! Good Luck to you!
    Nibha recently posted…Old Forgotten BoxMy Profile

• Renee Wilson
    February 27, 2015 at 7:29 am

Yes. I know what you mean. I did an online course recently and you had to submit your assignments online for everyone else to see. I found it a little hard at first. I think the other tough thing was reading other people’s assignments before I submitted mine and thinking theirs were way better than mine. Good luck!
    Renee Wilson recently posted…Conversations with changeMy Profile

• Kathy S Combs
    February 27, 2015 at 7:56 am

Sounds great! Good luck with your classes. Hope you learn a lot and enjoy them. ♥
    Kathy S Combs recently posted…Dinner and a ShowMy Profile

• Amy @ HandbagMafia
    February 27, 2015 at 8:41 am

Sounds great! I want to experiment more with creative fiction writing….but I’m terrified it will be totally lame and people will be too polite to tell me!
    Amy @ HandbagMafia recently posted…#BrelfieMy Profile

• Vanessa
    February 27, 2015 at 9:56 am

I found my screenwriting class at uni pretty hard. But that was more because I felt like I disagreed with my tutor on the fact my story was interesting rather than style/actual reviews. He was VERY into mentioning all the “cool” filmmakers he meets & drinks with IN MELBOURNE. I guess my idea may have been non-commercial (though frankly I don’t think so) but I still feel that doesn’t equal feedback of “bad”.
    The other writing subjects I’ve taken were all postgrad external ones, so I really only got feedback in the form of grades & marked assignments.
    Vanessa recently posted…InvisibilityMy Profile

• Lisa
    February 27, 2015 at 11:25 am

I recently completed the course Creative Writing Stage 1 online with the Australian Writers’ Centre, and even though I didn’t have to come face-to-face with my classmates it was still very scary to post my written pieces in the online classroom for all to see. At first I was like “wait, what? you want me to post my assignments in a group forum for EVERYONE to read??”… after the first week it got easier though, and I realised there’s also great benefit in reading other student’s work and the tutor comments for all. Sharing is a great learning experience.
    All the best with your class!
    Lisa recently posted…Old-school researchMy Profile

• Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    February 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

I have found it challenging having a blog with my husband. It is hard to receive constructive feedback about what you have written from someone close to you. He’s never nasty but he is honest and sometimes honesty can be hard to take. Good luck with your course – i wish you all the best with it!
    Kirsty @ My Home Truths recently posted…NDIS: An OverviewMy Profile

• Zita
    February 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

Oh I am not sure I would be brave enough to do that! Although more often than not we are our own worst critics!
    Good luck!
    Zita recently posted…for the factory tours, the hill tribe & the H’Mong LodgeMy Profile

• simple girl
    February 27, 2015 at 4:16 pm

sharing in the blog is easy for me.. But in real life I get a bit more affected by what others say, sometimes enough to loose my sanity… But I am trying to get a grip…..

• Lisa@RandomActsOfZen
    February 27, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Scary, but also exciting! I never feel really confident when I hit publish on anything I write, but do it mainly for my own satisfaction.
    I’m sure you’ll gain so much from feedback, and also seeing what others put out there. Don’t compare, everyone has different ways of approaching their stories.
    Lisa@RandomActsOfZen recently posted…FOMO, Or Something Like ThatMy Profile

• elly stornebrink
    February 27, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Sanch, I SO hear you on this! I feel EXACTLY the same way! Blogging is so much easier and feels a lot safer, whereas in public, it’s like exposing your heart, your soul to everyone…will they like it, will they like me ’cause you feel they are judging you when critiquing. This is why I DON’T join writing groups for the most post, though only one but it was a bit different in content, plus a small and supportive group. I also feel this way IN PARTICULAR when I share (recite) MY poetry. It’s SO personal, yes, “my baby!” How can anyone judge my writing including my poetry. It’s creative! How can that be judged? I wonder about that and thus prefer not to have my writing critiqued. 😉 <3
    elly stornebrink recently posted…NaBloPoMo: Make…or Buy?My Profile

• Suzy
    February 27, 2015 at 7:12 pm

The first time is hard then it gets easier. Be brave. All the best with your writing.
    Suzy recently posted…O Krishna – A guest postMy Profile

• Sarah Mac
    February 27, 2015 at 7:38 pm

It’s hard enough hitting publish on the blog sometimes, I can only imagine how daunting it must be to read something you have written out loud to a room full of people! I’m sure that it gets easier as time goes on and you get to know these people better.
    Sarah Mac recently posted…Packing Tips And Other Useful Stuff (no, not really 😉My Profile

• Robo
    February 27, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Since high school, only once, at uni. And I shook the whole way through it!
    I’ve found through my own experiences as a teacher that most people (kids in this case) are genuinely interested and want you to succeed and I think this relates to adults as well. I like what you say about gauging reactions – this would be a very real way of measuring your impact.
    Cheers for linking with The Lounge.
    Robo recently posted…Just 140 Words TodayMy Profile

• ann
    February 28, 2015 at 7:57 am

I would love to write something that could be critiqued!! Good luck with the studies this year!!
    ann recently posted…Things I Know #49- Technology can bite meMy Profile

• Jennifer Knoblock
    March 1, 2015 at 6:24 am

It gets easier! Especially if you find a person or two you can connect with in terms of taste, approach, and TRUST. Good luck!
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted…Fairy TaleMy Profile

• Nate
    March 1, 2015 at 7:57 am

It’s hard to put yourself out there. I understand your apprehension. My approach when I first started my blog was to either flood it with posts so no one had time to give me any feedback or start with an apology: “Sorry this isn’t better”. Good for you for not hiding!

• Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages
    March 1, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Wow – I’m not sure how I would go reading any of my writing out loud to a class. Like you said, you can just blurt things out on a blog and if it is no good people just move on. Good Luck.
    Malinda @mybrownpaperpackages recently posted…Friday Favourite Champagne CartelMy Profile

%d bloggers like this: