Life

iSwitched from Android to Apple

iphone

Last weekend, the unthinkable happened. I finally caved and added an iPhone to my current mobile phone plan. It arrived in a couple of days and by mid-week, I was the new owner of an iPhone 6. By Thursday, I had set it up with a screen guard and a phone cover, as well as downloaded some apps. By Friday, it was being used in full swing after a hiccup the previous night with my internet at home.

Why is it unthinkable?

Well, it was only some months ago {read: 2014} that I was anti-Apple. Apple to me, represented this cliquey group of cool kids who thought they were better than others. Apple liked to have its inner circle and wouldn’t share its stuff with others. And it pissed me off.

I loved Android. Google’s Android. My first post-Nokia phone was a Sony Ericsson Android. I learnt quickly that Sony wasn’t a great phone. The next one was the Google Nexus that was made by Samsung and Google. By far, that was my favourite phone. The OS would upgrade as soon as Google upgraded android. It was easy to use and had almost everything I needed in terms of social media, blogging and photography. I loved it.

After having it for about two years, I thought of upgrading to another Nexus. The Nexus 5 was out by then. This though, was manufactured by LG. I bought it about 18 months ago and sent my sister whose BlackBerry was dying on her, my old Nexus. Nexus 5 was pretty good — it was almost the same as the Nexus but with a bigger screen and an 8 MP camera. No complaints. Until Google upgraded the OS to Android 5.1. Then, problems ensued. It was about 6 months ago if I’m not mistaken

It was about 6 months ago if I’m not mistaken. The battery began draining way too quickly and this was odd for someone who always kept the 3G turned off except when using it. I would have to charge the phone at least twice a day and sometimes, three times. The camera kept freezing on me or just wouldn’t start. I would have to power off the phone and restart it. The GPS, which I would use only rarely was stuffing up so badly that one time, it showed me in Caringbah (Sydney’s south) when in fact, I was in Bonnyrigg (Sydney’s south-west). I lost my shit. I did figure out the app that was draining the battery and fixed it. But I noticed that other Android users were complaining about similar things since the upgrade.

I finally bit the bullet and decided to go the Apple way. Especially since I had bought myself a Macbook Air for my birthday in January this year. It just seemed easier in terms of syncing everything. My only other phone option would have been the Samsung Galaxy range as I wasn’t willing to risk the newer Nexus made by Motorola.

I will say this about the iPhone: I love the camera. I thought my Nexus was good but damn, the iPhone camera looks amazing. My cats look extra-gorgeous on this. I have yet to take some selfies but we’ll see what happens then 😉 I am still figuring it all out, of course. The phone and the Macbook. The whole cloud thing is still new to me given that with my PC, I’d automatically import files to Evernote which I apparently can’t do with Mac. I don’t have any complaints yet.

But yes, it’s a surprise that I switched. My friends were equally stunned as I’d been a staunch Android supporter.

Like I said on Instagram, I have officially moved over to the dark side now. iSwitched over from Android to Apple. How will the switch go? Well, only time will tell.

Tell me, are you Android or Apple?

And can you recommend any apps for Apple?

Do share!

• Maddie
    March 15, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Congratulations!!! I am Apple too. I had an iPad for a couple of years and recently bought the iPhone 5c….now waiting for the hubby to cave in and buy me a macbook. Having said that I think macs do not have enough hard disk space. What do you think? is 126 GB or 250 GB enough?
    Maddie recently posted…The Holiday PicMy Profile

• Maddie
    March 15, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Maddie recently posted…The Holiday PicMy Profile

• Lydia C. Lee
    March 16, 2015 at 7:50 am

Ha! I’m on apple, but anti-apple and want to switch to the other team! But I need a small phone to fit in evening bags (to check in with babysitters) so the big Samsung is too big…and the small one was too different for me to be bothered to learn how to use…but I will get there…next phone.

• Lydia C. Lee
    March 16, 2015 at 7:50 am

• Raychael aka Mystery Case
    March 16, 2015 at 11:35 am

I’ve recently done the opposite. Gone from an iPhone to a Sony Xperia. I was only suppose to road test the new phone but the 20.7 mp camera almost has me convinced I can do without some of my trusty iPhone apps.
    Raychael aka Mystery Case recently posted…From The Case Kitchen | Pumpkin ScoopMy Profile

• Raychael aka Mystery Case
    March 16, 2015 at 11:35 am

• Caroline @ Mamma Raj Says
    March 16, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I’d be keen to see what you think!! The Apple has a huge following (and many more apps) so I’m thinking it can’t be all hype ???

• Caroline @ Mamma Raj Says
    March 16, 2015 at 1:49 pm

• jess
    March 16, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I am an Apple gal, mainly because I couldn’t be bothered learning a new system..But I agree that having my iPhone and MacAir sync is SO good for work and for blogging. I can write down a note on my iPhone while I am out, and when I get home it is on my Mac notes, ready to go.
    jess recently posted…The Friday Wrap 13.3.15My Profile

• jess
    March 16, 2015 at 2:36 pm

jess recently posted…The Friday Wrap 13.3.15My Profile

• nabanita
    March 16, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I’m an out and out Apple person…never used Android but have seen my sister use it and let’s just say once with Apple you’ll forever be with Apple…:)
    nabanita recently posted…A New Day In Paris #TogetherMy Profile

• nabanita
    March 16, 2015 at 4:11 pm

nabanita recently posted…A New Day In Paris #TogetherMy Profile

• Alicia
    March 16, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I have android. We have no i anythings in our house, but I kinda sometimes wish I did haha. You know way more about phones than I do. I’ve only had a mobile for a few years, and now I don’t think I could live without one.
    Alicia recently posted…Creamy pumpkin pastaMy Profile

• Alicia
    March 16, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Alicia recently posted…Creamy pumpkin pastaMy Profile

• Anne@gritandgiggles
    March 18, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I’m android user but not because I am anti apple but because I can’t afford the apple price tag. I think it is pretty silly how you can only use their things their way but I do still like them and what they offer.
    Anne@gritandgiggles recently posted…Looking GreenMy Profile

• Anne@gritandgiggles
    March 18, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Anne@gritandgiggles recently posted…Looking GreenMy Profile

• Goodbye 2015 - Living my Imperfect Life
    December 28, 2015 at 6:02 am

[…] towards the end of the month and I guess it was a sign of things to come. I also bought myself an iPhone, thereby moving over completely to […]

• Goodbye 2015 - Living my Imperfect Life
    December 28, 2015 at 6:02 am

• Parul
    December 28, 2015 at 6:07 pm

I started off with a Nokia, moved to Samsung and then bought a used iPhone 4 some 1.5 years back. I was certainly impressed. Camera, processing speed and syncing to have contacts intact. This year, VT bought me my first iPhone (new) – 6S. Though we had been talking about it, this purchase was a surprise and it was a big one for me. I have never had a gadget that’s latest. I’ve been using it for now 2 month and fabulous is an understatement.
    Apps – I love Snapseed and Hipstamatic for pictures. 🙂