Life

The Itch

I wake up each morning at 5 to the incessant sound of the alarm. Like clockwork, I get dressed for the gym, have a coffee, feed the cats, pick up my bags and leave home. I hit the gym hard for 45 minutes, then drive to work, shower and start my day at 8. I work till 5 and fight the traffic to head home. I have dinner, watch a bit of telly, blog a bit and chat with Mr Imperfect. We go to bed and then it starts all over again.

This is my life. This is my routine. But as much as I love routine, there is a part of me that just wants to leave this all behind. Well, not the cats or Mr Imperfect or my exercise.

I don’t really know what I want. It can’t be a mid-life crisis.

sea-sunset-sunny-beach

I kinda yearn to quit my job, sell my apartment, and move down the south coast and live in a cottage by the sea. With Mr Imperfect and the kitties. We could run a bed and breakfast perhaps. Or even a local cafe. We could go for walks by the beach. I could wake up and watch the sun rise. I’d see kangaroos in my backyard and think nothing of it. I could write for hours on end. On the blog and other stuff I keep putting off. I could read. Oh, I could read all the 80-odd books just screaming to be read on my bookshelf. And of course, I could buy a whole lot more. I could explore the unknown and make my own adventures. Mr Imperfect could fish. And we could snorkel and swim. I could, for once, really slow down in life.

There is an itch to get out of my comfort zone and to ditch the routine. I feel like getting away from it all. Yet at the same time, I don’t. I am a city girl at heart. I have always loved my busy and fast-paced life.

But I wonder if something is changing.

Do you ever have that itch to change things? What have you done about it and how did it go?

Do share!

Image Source: Pexels

***Linking with Alicia for Open Slather and Write Tribe for Monday Musings***

• Melissa
    July 27, 2015 at 9:39 am

Its the rat race you yearn to leave. I love my work and am blessed to work on the edge of a small city but I constantly need to retreat and simplify my life. Your dream if coastal life sounds blissful.

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      July 27, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Maybe it is…it’s funny because I do love my work but I just wish I had more time to write. Somehow I feel like if I wasn’t commuting 2 hours each day, I’d have more time. Then again, who knows what other routine stuff I’d fill in?!

• Melissa
    July 27, 2015 at 9:39 am

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      July 27, 2015 at 11:18 pm

• Min@WriteoftheMiddle
    July 27, 2015 at 10:09 am

Yes! I have that itch all the time these days! I want a more rural life but not out in the sticks – up in the hinterland not far from the coast. I would have the rural setting of mountains and valleys but also just a quick drive to the beach. I want my nearest neighbours to be far enough away that even if I yelled at the top of my voice they wouldn’t hear me. I want a veggie garden and some chooks. I want to wear gumboots and potter about. I don’t want a flash home but one that is cosy and has character. I’m not a city girl but I don’t like to be too far away from all the essentials! Maybe change is afoot with you?! 😉 x
    Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted…Taking Stock – July 2015My Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      July 27, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Oh Min…I hear you. Who knows what’s in store? But yeah, I still want the essentials and then some.

• Min@WriteoftheMiddle
    July 27, 2015 at 10:09 am

Min@WriteoftheMiddle recently posted…Taking Stock – July 2015My Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      July 27, 2015 at 11:19 pm

• Nardia
    July 27, 2015 at 11:19 am

I don’t know the answer but I hear ya! I’m feeling that there is a big part of society that is feeling the same, that just wants to slow down, get away from the demands of our iLife and enjoy the small moments. We made a tree change to the Murray River 7 years ago – the lifestyle is incredible. But I have a demanding job and a baby and a toddler and a husband that is a truck driver so is not home during the week so despite the casualness of life here, it’s still pretty full on! I would love to simplify and slow down. Being a stay at home mum doesn’t work for me – I need the energy of people to function properly, but I would love some more time to write, so that I’m not having to stay up until midnight each night and up at 5.30am to get ready for the day, kids off to daycare and at my desk by 7am. And some time for exercise would be good too!
    PS. I’ve come via Alyssa’s Aussie Bloggers engagement thread this morning in case you’re tracking comments!
    Nardia recently posted…Stirring the potMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      July 28, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I know what you mean about needing the energy of others to function…I need that too which is probably why I’m a bit hesitant about making a big move. I know I would go stir crazy after a while. But yeah, it’d be nice if we could all have a good balance.

• Nardia
    July 27, 2015 at 11:19 am

Nardia recently posted…Stirring the potMy Profile

• Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life
      July 28, 2015 at 9:44 pm

• Alyssa
    July 27, 2015 at 11:32 am

I constantly have that itch! I think that it is just “in” some people. Maybe those type of people make the best bloggers? I have come across quite a few!
    Alyssa recently posted…A Day in SydneyMy Profile

• Alyssa
    July 27, 2015 at 11:32 am

Alyssa recently posted…A Day in SydneyMy Profile

• elly stornebrink
    July 27, 2015 at 11:58 am

I SO hear you on this one Sanch and if you read my latest blog post, you will understand why! I have felt the itch on and off the past few years and in particular the past year. This is part of the reason for this change. It also occurred to me years ago when I used to commute up to three hours a day to and from work: I would get up in the dark, go to work, come home in the dark, eat, get stuff ready for the next day, and go to bed. It was a fruitless life! I say follow your heart as life is too short and life is precious: you have my blessing at least! 😉 <3

• elly stornebrink
    July 27, 2015 at 11:58 am

• Zita
    July 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

“I don’t really know what I want”….
    These words are coming out of my mouth so much lately!! My whole reason for quitting work and travelling this year was to try and work this out and as I sit alone in my hotel room at 10:30pm on a Sunday night I still have no idea!! The closer it gets to me having to come home and face reality, the more anxious I am getting because I still have no answers or ideas!!! *sigh*

Sometimes it’s reassuring to know I am not the only one!!
    Zita recently posted…Favourite American PhotosMy Profile

• Zita
    July 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

“I don’t really know what I want”….

Sometimes it’s reassuring to know I am not the only one!!
    Zita recently posted…Favourite American PhotosMy Profile

• Deb @ Bright and Precious
    July 27, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I have this itch ALL THE TIME. Remarkably similar to yours – I want to move to a cottage by the sea. But then I wonder about how isolated I’d feel! Would it feel like ‘home’? I like being near a metropolis too. It’s such a dilemma!

• Deb @ Bright and Precious
    July 27, 2015 at 1:39 pm

• Kristie
    July 27, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I started getting a similar itch about ten years ago. I was 31, and I decided that I’d had enough of my life as a web production manager, working with a group of guys making cool stuff online. I loved the work, but I wanted to be free to do my stuff. So I gave up the job and went freelance. I’ve been a freelance writer for almost ten years now and while it is a demanding job I still believe it was a good choice. Follow your dreams, but have a plan. That’s my advice. 🙂

• Kristie
    July 27, 2015 at 2:09 pm

• Alysha Herrmann
    July 27, 2015 at 3:27 pm

I don’t know that I have an ‘itch’ in that sense but I think it’s pretty normal to wonder how your life might look if you took a different direction (now or in the future).

I’m probably coming from the change thing in a different direction too as over the last two years we’ve relocated from country to city and I hate it, but I recognise that there have been some great opportunities as a result that we wouldn’t have otherwise. But lifestyle wise, the city is not for me.
    Alysha Herrmann recently posted…On the edge #freetheartsMy Profile

• Alysha Herrmann
    July 27, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Alysha Herrmann recently posted…On the edge #freetheartsMy Profile

• CookieCrumbsInc.
    July 27, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Think long and hard about this fantasy of yours, Sanch. Maybe that’s the path Life has to take for you. You might have been a city girl, but maybe you aren’t anymore.

On a side note, that life you envision is perfectly lovely; if it were me and if I knew I could survive, personally, I’d take the plunge.
    CookieCrumbsInc. recently posted…Day 20: SchadenfreudeMy Profile

• CookieCrumbsInc.
    July 27, 2015 at 3:42 pm

CookieCrumbsInc. recently posted…Day 20: SchadenfreudeMy Profile

• simple girl
    July 27, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Does your job has some sabbatical policy in place?
    If yes may be you can use that and take a break and see how things goes and come back..
    Hope you get to do what you want to..
    Hugs to you sanch….

• simple girl
    July 27, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Does your job has some sabbatical policy in place?
    Hope you get to do what you want to..
    Hugs to you sanch….

• Inderpreet Kaur
    July 27, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Oh! I feel the itch all the time. I live in the city and so far away from the beach. I think I want to live by the beach when I hit 50! Life just goes by so fast. Don’t know how I will manage but I hope I can.
    A B&B would be great! I can totally see it. SO quaint and Australia is so beautiful.
    Inderpreet Kaur recently posted…#AajKalKeBachee – Teaching As They Learn!!My Profile

• Inderpreet Kaur
    July 27, 2015 at 6:18 pm

• Ashleigh - mymeow.com.au
    July 27, 2015 at 8:20 pm

I hear you. Sydney is suffocating. I made a big change this year after talking about it to working four days a week to write more and travel more. Worth the pay cut! I have an itch but for now it is being tamed by working on travel articles and applying to go work in an Indigenous community for 2 months next year. I think I love Sydney buy i need breaks from it – that is the balance we have found. James is a photographer so he travels a lot. Maybe you need a bit of breathing space to figure things out? Sounds like your life is very busy with work uni and the blog.
    Ashleigh – mymeow.com.au recently posted…Meow review: Catmosphere Cat CafeMy Profile

• Ashleigh - mymeow.com.au
    July 27, 2015 at 8:20 pm

• Natalie @ our parallel connection
    July 27, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Oh yes but I’m still building my confidence to make a move… Baby steps at the moment
    Natalie @ our parallel connection recently posted…The Liebster Blog AwardMy Profile

• Natalie @ our parallel connection
    July 27, 2015 at 10:10 pm

• Toby
    July 27, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Ohh I would love to quit my job and just go away to the country, run a little cottage or business in a little town. perfect! But.. my job is great, well paid. My new little family is settled into the area. My wife wouldnt live away from the city. SIGH… it is to dream hehehe
    Toby recently posted…My Obsession with Hats – Rival Golfer Mesh Hat ReviewMy Profile

• Toby
    July 27, 2015 at 10:16 pm

• Alicia
    July 27, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Even though we have bought our holiday house by the sea, I still look at the real estate pages in our local mag. There’s some real gems, and I am always thinking they’d be perfect for the right person. Anything is possible xx
    Alicia recently posted…When life gives you lemons……My Profile

• Alicia
    July 27, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Alicia recently posted…When life gives you lemons……My Profile

• Parul
    July 28, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Ah! That’s a thought that comes to me too sometimes. Is this a life of a cookie cutter? So mechanical and bound by the schedules. But then I wonder, I can go slow in the current life itself. I can delegate stuff at home and relax a bit, put my feet up and watch the telly. I love my job so don’t want to quit but I do want to have more vacations, see the world before it gets too late!

Your post made me think of my own life Sanch. Thank you!
    Parul recently posted…#MicroblogMondays – For the Love of KannadaMy Profile

• Parul
    July 28, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Your post made me think of my own life Sanch. Thank you!
    Parul recently posted…#MicroblogMondays – For the Love of KannadaMy Profile

• Harini
    July 28, 2015 at 11:59 pm

I was there. I know how you feel. Think long and hard about what aspect of life do you feel a void in. If its nothing of that sort try something new and fun that you always wanted to and never had time to.

• Harini
    July 28, 2015 at 11:59 pm

• Rajlakshmi
    July 29, 2015 at 6:46 pm

it might be a phase … I was like that before I quit my job and started everything fresh. Touchwood… that brought some contentment in my life.
    Hi-five on the cottage view. My husband and I have long been thinking how wonderful it would be to buy a bnb in Jervis Bay and live the quiet life.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Of Daakuni Sister & little gyanMy Profile

• Rajlakshmi
    July 29, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Rajlakshmi recently posted…Of Daakuni Sister & little gyanMy Profile

• The month that was July 2015 - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 2, 2015 at 9:20 pm

[…] I have been having an itch to move somewhere coastal and quieter and perhaps, just slow down my life. Whether that happens or […]

• The month that was July 2015 - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 2, 2015 at 9:20 pm

• New beginnings - Living my Imperfect Life
    November 27, 2015 at 6:01 am

[…] some of you might know, I was feeling an itch. Wanting a change. Maybe this is it. Sure, it’s not a big sea-change. But it’s a change […]

• New beginnings - Living my Imperfect Life
    November 27, 2015 at 6:01 am

• Let's run away #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 20, 2017 at 11:56 am

[…] I still yearn to run away. In the past twelve to eighteen months in particular, I have had this urge on and off. There’s a huge part of me that wants to run away with the cats to somewhere new. […]

• Let's run away #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 20, 2017 at 11:56 am

• Midlife crisis at thirty-two - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 20, 2017 at 12:42 pm

[…] career, relationships, who I am and well, life in general. I know I previously spoke about having an itch. In fact, all of 2015, I struggled with this yearning for change. Eventually, I thought it might be […]

• Midlife crisis at thirty-two - Living my Imperfect Life