Life

On writing letters

Back in the days before technology took over our lives, people would correspond by writing letters. I was one of those people. I loved writing and receiving handwritten letters. We didn’t call them snail mail back then. We just called them mail.

After my family moved from Oman to Bombay when I was 9, I promised several friends that I would keep in touch by writing letters. In the end, there were only four or five friends who wrote often to begin with, and then I mainly corresponded with two for several years more. It was always exciting to write about everything that was going on in my life and asking them about theirs. Then there was the wait. Wondering if they had received my letter. Thinking about their reactions to it and how long it’d take for them to reply. Waiting eagerly for the mail. Finally of course, there was the excitement at getting home from school one day and realising there was a letter waiting for me.

As quickly as possibly, I’d rip the envelope and devour the letter. It’s amazing that something that possibly lasts five minutes could create so much anticipation and excitement. But it did. It continued to do so for some years. Until of course, I went online at 16. The letters soon stopped and emails became the mode of communication. Even though there was some excitement at receiving an email from somebody, it was not remotely close to what it felt like getting a letter. Now of course, meaningful emails too are few and far between in a world of Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter and the like.

So when a blogging community I am part of suggested the Snail Mail exchange, I was excited and signed up at once. I was told who I needed to send my letter to but of course, my sender was a surprise. I sent off my letter — or rather, a postcard — to my recipient when I was travelling in Canada. I love sending postcards while travelling and it was nice to be able to send it to someone different this time around.

Then of course, was the one I received. I was extremely excited when I came home one day from work and my mail had something other than bills: there was a card from Cat. I had known Cat was my sender a couple of weeks before as she had very kindly sent me a scanned letter just in case the card would be delayed. Coincidentally, Cat loves cats and her card had the picture of her cat, Kobie.

cat

The art of writing letters seems to have died. But it is nice to continue sending them, even if it’s once in a while. I do love sending birthday cards and a letter with them. If you would like to get a letter or card from me, do send me an email and we could certainly do that. On the other hand, if you exchange snail mail, you could just link up with the rest of us too.

When was the last time you wrote or received a letter?

Do share!

***Linking with Blog-a-rhythm for the Snail Mail Exchange. Check it out to read other bloggers’ experience on the same***

SANCH_sig1

16 Comments

Pinky Poinker
    August 22, 2015 at 10:34 pm

My eighty year old dad still sends me letters although he still emails me too. It is lovely to get something other than a bill I agree. You know I never even look in my letter box anymore. At least the digital missives save our trees I guess.

Pinky Poinker
    August 22, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Ashleigh - mymeow.com.au
    August 23, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I still write to my year six teacher. We have been snail mailing now for 22 years! I love it when I get something from her in the post.
    Ashleigh – mymeow.com.au recently posted…Goals for the Bali Bliss RetreatMy Profile

Ashleigh - mymeow.com.au
    August 23, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Shailaja
    August 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm

So so glad that this was such a pleasurable activity for you, Sanch! I am yet to write mine and you know I need to get it done 🙂 Thanks so much for being a part of this, despite your travel schedule. How wonderful of you 🙂
    Shailaja recently posted…I miss Us #FlashFictionMy Profile

Shailaja
    August 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Shailaja recently posted…I miss Us #FlashFictionMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    August 24, 2015 at 4:23 am

I received a letter from my son yesterday and I wrote one, a week ago! Writing and receiving letters is something that I have loved and cherished since school days. There was a lull for a few years but I am back to writing and receiving letters, actively since the last 4 years, as sonny boy is in a boarding and we HAVE to exchange letters! Writing to blogging friends are fun and cool. I enjoyed this experience. And Kobie looks cool in that postcard!

Shilpa Garg
    August 24, 2015 at 4:23 am

Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    August 24, 2015 at 3:00 pm

I can’ remember the last time I received a real letter from someone but I do remember having a pen pal back in high school. It was so exciting to write, send, receive and read those letters. It rally is sad that no-one send real mail anymore 🙁
    Kirsty @ My Home Truths recently posted…How I learned NOT to be a blogger at #pbeventMy Profile

Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    August 24, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Sunila
    August 27, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Glad to see how much joy the snail mail challenge brought you Sanch. Same here and have to write a post soon too 🙂

Sunila
    August 27, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Picture postcards: A Snail Mail lesson | THE MOVING QUILL
    September 15, 2015 at 12:56 pm

[…] day in my apartment. To say that I jumped and did a tiny jig when I saw this beautiful card from Sanch in my post box one morning is no exaggeration. For those of you who know me, dancing is the last […]

Picture postcards: A Snail Mail lesson | THE MOVING QUILL