Life

Three things I’d do differently in 2017 #FridayReflections

We are six days into the new year and while I have already written about my intentions for this year, I thought it’d be nice to think about some habits I’d like to change from last year. These aren’t resolutions but things I really need to change. Sure, the intention to develop a positive mindset is certainly one of them but this post is not about that.

Here are three things I’d do differently in 2017:

Get more sleep

My sleep has been shocking the last few years. I remember back in 2013-2014 when I was at my healthiest, I would sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours. I was in bed by 9 and up at 4:30-5. Then I got into a relationship, started uni and well, let’s just say my sleep went downhill. Some nights I’d get 5 hours but I was averaging 6 hours in the last year. This year I want to make a concerted effort to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Sadly, I have not yet mastered it so far with only 6 hours the last three nights! It’s back to looking at my habits and making sure I’m in bed by 9. But honestly, there’s always so much to do after work!

Slow down

I’ve been so used to being busy, busy, busy and on the go for so many years that I’ve almost forgotten what it’s like to slow down. I was getting there in the mini-break over Christmas but then the last few days seemed a bit frantic again. And of course, since going back to work, thanks to less sleep, I wake up a bit late and I’m always rushing!

Meal planning

When I originally lost weight in 2012-2013, apart from the exercise, my diet was really good. But what helped me maintain a good diet was planning and preparing my meals on the weekend. Yes, it’s work but it’s also work saved during the week. I do plan from this weekend to start meal planning and prepping so that when I get home from work, the food just has to be heated and I save time. I guess it will also help me get to bed early as I’ll be able to do my other things in time too.

So there you go. Three things I’d like to do differently. Three habits I’d like to change. All in the process of being physically and mentally healthier. In order to Flourish Inside Out!

Are there any things you’d do differently this year?

Do share!

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

Prompts for this week:

1. Favourite book of all time
2. The driving force of your life
3. Three things I’d do differently this year
4. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” – Rumi. Use this quote within your post or as an inspiration for one
5. Picture Prompt (credit: http://everydaygyaan.com)

Our featured writer this week was Mithila for her take on saying goodbye to 2016. You can be our featured writer too. All you need to do is write on one of the prompts and link up below. Remember to read other posts and share the love. Don’t forget to come back on Monday and vote for your favourite post!

Featured image source: Pixabay

20 Comments

Zita
    January 6, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Good luck Sanch! I’m waiting until I get home to make some of my changes as some of them are just not possible while I’m still here in Korea! One will definitely be to get my sleep patterns back on track because they have been all over the place while I’ve been here!
    Zita recently posted…to make a comeback…My Profile

Zita
    January 6, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Zita recently posted…to make a comeback…My Profile

Parul Thakur
    January 6, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Looks like these three things are for me, Sanch. I need to sleep more on weekdays and that will help my getting up part. And slowing down? ask me about it. Phew. Sometimes, it’s a mad race that I am running.
    Good luck with your plans.
    Parul Thakur recently posted…International Blog Delurking Week – 2017My Profile

Parul Thakur
    January 6, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Good luck with your plans.
    Parul Thakur recently posted…International Blog Delurking Week – 2017My Profile

Annie
    January 7, 2017 at 1:58 pm

I believe this is the first time I am leaving a comment on your blog, so hey! Nice blog! 🙂

This was a great article, I have been thinking of making a similar list (serial list-maker haha). “..what helped me maintain a good diet was planning and preparing my meals on the weekend” I have had so many people tell me the benefits of preparing meals on the weekend, and planning about the next week’s meals, that I have *finally* decided to give this a try too. It helps that I have an extremely demanding hike coming up sometime mid-2017, and I am a bit alarmed that I am in no shape whatsoever, thanks to my sedentary lifestyle!

Good luck with 2017! 🙂

Annie
    January 7, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Good luck with 2017! 🙂

Reema Sahay
    January 8, 2017 at 5:32 am

I completely agree with planning your meals. It makes you stick to a healthy diet plan. When you don’t know what you are going to eat, you end up eating junk.
    One thing I want to change this year is disconnect often. I want to quit being connected all the time. It is highly unproductive.
    Reema Sahay recently posted…Top 3 Goals for 2017My Profile

Reema Sahay
    January 8, 2017 at 5:32 am

Reema Sahay recently posted…Top 3 Goals for 2017My Profile

J.Gi Federizo
    January 9, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Getting more sleep is also one of the things I ought to do. But you are right, there are lots of things do after work!!!

I’ll try to maintain a positive mindset, too…
    J.Gi Federizo recently posted…December 2016 RECAP #MonthlyRecapMy Profile

J.Gi Federizo
    January 9, 2017 at 1:07 pm

I’ll try to maintain a positive mindset, too…
    J.Gi Federizo recently posted…December 2016 RECAP #MonthlyRecapMy Profile

Sunita Saldhana
    January 9, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Getting healthy is on the top of my list . And scheduling in committed writing time is another.

Sunita Saldhana
    January 9, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Ashleigh - mymeow.com.au
    January 9, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Getting more sleep and reading more books! That are my personal goals for this year. Less digital time. Hard when you’re a blogger. Hey I want to link up more this year, are they the prompts for this week? Or next week? I also clicked the link and it does not work for the facebook group.
    Ashleigh – mymeow.com.au recently posted…2017 GOALSMy Profile

Sanchie @ Living my Imperfect Life
      January 9, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Sorry Ash…those are prompts for this week. I think we should start sharing the prompts for the week ahead. Will talk to my co-host about that. In any case, I’ve added you to the group so hopefully that helps. We announce the prompts there a few days before Friday.

Ashleigh - mymeow.com.au
    January 9, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Ashleigh – mymeow.com.au recently posted…2017 GOALSMy Profile

Sanchie @ Living my Imperfect Life
      January 9, 2017 at 8:18 pm

2017 Is Already Different #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    January 10, 2017 at 2:43 am

[…] to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away. Sanch of Living My Imperfect Life and Everyday Gyaan give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those […]

2017 Is Already Different #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    January 10, 2017 at 2:43 am

Sarah @sarahdipity
    January 11, 2017 at 8:16 am

These are three things I really need to work on too Sanch! My sleeping and eating habits really aren’t the best at the moment and I know it’s part of what is making me feel so tired all the time
    Sarah @sarahdipity recently posted…Summer Holiday MemoriesMy Profile