It’s that time of the month when we talk about the positive emotion as part of Flourish Inside Out for the new month. For March, our focus is on Awe.
What is awe?
I’m sure we’ve all experienced a sense of awe at some point in our lives. It’s that sense of ‘wow’-ness. Okay, so that’s not the technical definition. A sense of awe is that sensation if being part of something much bigger than ourselves. For instance, realising that you are just one person in a world of seven billion and the earth is just a tiny place in the entire universe is awe-inducing for sure.
The benefits of awe
- Awe can help us slow down and be focussed on the present moment (Source)
- Experiencing awe makes people feel they have more time to spare and this in turn, makes them more patient and more willing to give to others (Source)
- Even experiencing a small dose of awe is linked to an life satisfaction (Source)
- People who experience a sense of awe behave in a more helpful and kind manner towards others (Source)
- Experiencing awe is linked with a sense of calm which in turn is therefore beneficial for alleviating anxiety and depressive symptoms (Source)
- Awe helps us cope better with stress (Source)
- People who experience awe more frequently in their lives showed lower levels of interleukin-6 which is associated with heart disease (Source)
How to cultivate awe
- Go out into nature – hike, hit the beach or even just go for a walk in the park and notice the beauty of nature around you. Take an awe walk.
- Take a trip down memory lane and try to remember things that awed you
- Watch a beautiful dance routine, observe a beautiful painting and let them make experience a sense of awe
- Watch the sun rise or a sunset – nothing is more awe-inspiring than this in my opinion
- Write about personal experiences of awe in as much detail as possible (Source)
- Read an awe-inspiring story
- Watch an awe-inspiring video
Join me this month as I aim to capture awe in my life. You can follow my journey on Instagram or look for the hashtags #flourishinsideout and #flourishin2017. You are welcome to join in on the same.
Do come back to the blog at the end of the month to see my round-up post.
Here’s to March being an AWE-some month! 😉
How do you cultivate awe in your life?
Do share your awesome moments!
Until next time,