A to Z Challenge Poetry

#Etheree: Dreary #atozchallenge

We
Were once
In love, and
Together, we
Started our new life;
We bought our first unit,
Adopted our first pet dog,
Enjoyed the mundane weekly chores;
Until the excitement waned away
And, with nothing new the love turned bitter

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (6 April 2017)

***

The Etheree consists of 10 lines of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 syllables respectively. There can be other forms such as the Reverse Etheree (which is the reverse of the Etheree) or a double etheree (which has 1-10 lines followed by 10-1 lines)

This has been written for the 2017 A to Z Challenge

31 Comments

John Holton
    April 6, 2017 at 4:28 am

Interesting poetic form, and I like this one.
    John Holton
    A to Z Challenge Co-Host

Vinay Leo R.
    April 6, 2017 at 5:10 am

Ouch! I was hoping for a happily ever after, but I guess it wasn’t to be.

Tina Basu
    April 6, 2017 at 5:16 am

ohh ho why bitter ! i am looking forward to reading all your posts – i have no idea about these styles f poetry!

Alex Daw
    April 6, 2017 at 5:20 am

I have never heard of etheree…you learn something new everyday! I like the look of it.

Roshan Radhakrishnan
    April 6, 2017 at 5:39 am

again, beautifully written and taught me a new form of poetry again.

Rajlakshmi
    April 6, 2017 at 8:00 am

No no no… That’s sad. Another beautifully formed poem.
    From A to Z
    Yogasana
    Travel Tales
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Travel Tales: Empress Falls #atozchallengeMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    April 6, 2017 at 8:00 am

No no no… That’s sad. Another beautifully formed poem.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Travel Tales: Empress Falls #atozchallengeMy Profile

Jacqui
    April 6, 2017 at 10:49 am

That is very sad. Why does that happen as often as it does?

Shailaja Vishwanath
    April 6, 2017 at 11:12 am

This one was fascinating! I admired the gradual building up of the relationship just like the syllable count and then the last line just takes all the excitement away in a single swoop. uff! Loved it.

Leanne
    April 6, 2017 at 11:28 am

Another type of poem I didn’t know about Sanch – and I loved your version of it (although it was very sad!)
    Leanne | cresting the hill

Shilpa Garg
    April 6, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Another delightful form of poetry I learnt today. Loved the way you shared their story… sad for them though!

Swathi Shenoy
    April 6, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I thought it was going to be a happy ending but the last line gave a twist I wasn’t expecting! Learning new form everyday through your blog. Good one 🙂
    Swathi Shenoy recently posted…ExamsMy Profile

Shalini
    April 6, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Whoa! Until the last line, I thought it was all lovey-dovey. Thats sad! But I loved this form of poetry and you’ve written it so beautifully.

Kaddu
    April 6, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Good end. I’m glad it wasn’t an unrealistic fairy-tale happy ending. Bitter makes it real. 😛
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com

Sanch, the writer
      April 6, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Exactly… 😛 Also, I have a morbid streak in my writing!

Ramya abhinand
    April 6, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Wow where do you are not this from? I have never come across such styles of poetry..
    Ramya abhinand recently posted…Of Excesses and Being Economical #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Sanch, the writer
      April 6, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I found most of the forms on Shadow Poetry (which I have linked to in the description of the form). Never knew them myself before this challenge.

Menaka Bharathi
    April 6, 2017 at 6:01 pm

This is new to me as is the word ethree, lovely, need to learn more.
    Launching SIM Organics This April
    *Menaka Bharathi *
    *SimpleIndianMom*

Suzy
    April 6, 2017 at 7:23 pm

I like this poetry form. Reminds me of a haiku. Didn’t expect that ending, though it’s quite realistic. Well done.

Sheethal
    April 6, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I always felt poetry was not my cup of cake but you make it look very simple. I am loving your poetry series . Getting to learn something new everyday.
    And loved the way you took the story with a very realistic ending.

Roma Gupta Sinha
    April 6, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Your Etheree is ethereal dear. I loved the form as well as your composition.
    Truly Yours Roma

Soumya
    April 6, 2017 at 10:25 pm

This form I’ve heard of! I even managed to write one eons ago.

Your take is brilliant! The fresh breath of love to the stale remains, a much existent state if you aren’t lucky to find the right mate.

Modern Gypsy
    April 6, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Hmm…boredom setting in…that does happen quite often, doesn’t it?
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…{E} The wonderful world of EncausticsMy Profile

Vidya Sury
    April 6, 2017 at 10:34 pm

It is the same for all relationships. Ennui sets in eventually! Love the Etheree form! Hugs, Sanch!

Geets
    April 6, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Just the moment when I thought, it was going to be a happy ending, it changed! I think that’s how life is in real!
    Cheers

Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710
    April 7, 2017 at 1:25 am

Theoretically, the reverse etheree seems more challenging than the etheree. No points for which one I’ll try first ?

The last line is so hauntingly perfect, Sanch! ?
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…Are you a blogging expert? #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Sreesha
    April 7, 2017 at 1:26 pm

This is really, really sad. But it happens so often.
    Interesting form. Are there shorter versions with fewer than 10 lines as well?

Ishieta@Isheeria's
    April 9, 2017 at 12:09 am

Learning so much about writing fron you S. And the way you string words together to make a complete story.. Awesome!