A to Z Challenge Poetry

#Ghazal: Love #atozchallenge

Days after meeting her, he was professing love
Buying her numerous gifts, he was showing love

Months after being together, he asked they wed
To signify their true and everlasting love

Behind closed doors, he belittled her every move
The bruises on her skin were him showering love

Her life was no fairy tale as she had once hoped;
His taunts opened her eyes to his deceiving love

Ana escaped his clutches with her head held high
Knowing ‘twas with herself she had enduring love

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (8 April 2017)

***

A Ghazal is a poem that is made up like an odd numbered chain of couplets, where each couplet is an independent poem. It should be natural to put a comma at the end of the first line. The Ghazal has a refrain of one to three words that repeat, and an inline rhyme that precedes the refrain. Lines 1 and 2, then every second line, has this refrain and inline rhyme. The last couplet should refer to the author’s pen-name. The rhyming scheme is AA bA cA dA eA etc.

This has been written for the 2017 A to Z challenge

27 Comments

Anita
    April 8, 2017 at 5:17 am

Glad that Ana walked away with her self-respect.
    Interesting to learn about Ghazal. Many Hindi movie songs have Ghazals in Hindi & Urdu. Great that you have attempted it in English 🙂

Alex Daw
    April 8, 2017 at 5:40 am

I am learning so much about poetry. I liked the last line very much.

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    April 8, 2017 at 5:45 am

Interesting choice of topic to compose this piece- loved it!

Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    G is for Grape Stomping in Bangalore #atozchallenge

Jacqui
    April 8, 2017 at 7:43 am

This happens too often. Good poem.

Shailaja Vishwanath
    April 8, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Ah, one of my favourite forms. I actually said ‘Ah’ out loud when I saw the title 😀
    Love how you’ve woven Ana’s ordeal within a love song. So unique!

Bellybytes
    April 8, 2017 at 1:06 pm

That was brilliant Sanch. I didn’t know you were participating in this challenge. And thanks for explaining so clearly what a Ghazal was. I always thought they were those sad songs that played on All India Radio all day long……

Suzy
    April 8, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Oh wow to take a ghazal form and put it into an English context is commendable. Sad that such “love” exists.

Vinodini
    April 8, 2017 at 7:17 pm

I’m reading an English ghazal for the first time. Never thought of them as couplets. Good to know. 🙂

Soumya
    April 8, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I thought of the hindi Ghazal at first and then it slowly made sense 🙂

Shalini R
    April 8, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I didn’t really know what Ghazal was! I really thought it was about the hindi Ghazal.
    And your poem is fab!

Roshan Radhakrishnan
    April 8, 2017 at 11:08 pm

I thought I knew what a ghazal.. seriously 🙂 Thanks for this lesson.

Kaddu
    April 8, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Never before have I read a Ghazal in English!
    It actually feels kind of strange. We’re so used to reading ghazals in Hindi or Urdu! 😛
    But seriously… this was quite impressive.
    You rock, girl!
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com

Rajlakshmi
    April 8, 2017 at 11:53 pm

Glad she escaped his clutches. It’s awful someone who once loved you could inflict so much hurt.

Ishieta@Isheeria's
    April 9, 2017 at 12:03 am

What an interesting ghazal.. And word play. A powerful story S.

Modern Gypsy
    April 9, 2017 at 1:00 am

It happens more often that we would ever imagine, this love that bruises behind closed doors. Good on Alana for walking away with her head held high.
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Glue primer: Choosing the right glue for your art journalsMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    April 9, 2017 at 1:13 am

A ghazal can be written in English too!! I thought it was Urdu form of poetry!
    Loved this expression in the form a ghazal.

Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710
    April 9, 2017 at 1:29 am

An English ghazal! That’s super ingenious, Sanch. Till date, I didn’t know about the intricacies of writing a ghazal. I just knew that they sounded very musical. Now I know how they are written too! Awesome 🙂
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…Be grammar conscious #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Parul Thakur
    April 9, 2017 at 4:02 am

I love Ghazals – just the Hindi ones I have listened to and this was the first time got to know about the technicalities of it. So well done with Ana’s story and glad she moved out of it.

Swathi Shenoy
    April 9, 2017 at 8:58 am

This is the first time I am reading an English ghazal 🙂 glad she walked out instead of enduring the pain. Good one Sanch 🙂
    Swathi Shenoy recently posted…Great Indian SaleMy Profile

Aditi Kaushiva
    April 9, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Glad she walked away with her head held high. Beautiful poem, yet again!
    Aditi Kaushiva recently posted…Gandhari #AtoZChallenge‏ @AprilA2ZMy Profile

sheela
    April 9, 2017 at 12:30 pm

I’m reading English ghazal for the first time! Ana did perfectly right in the end. Nice

Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    April 9, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I’ve been reading a lot of Indian blogs during the A to Z Sanch, and it seems that there are a lot of unhappy women in relationships and marriages. It breaks my heart when I read poetry and stories based on the assumption that men don’t value the women they love – so sad isn’t it?

Sanch, the writer
      April 9, 2017 at 4:01 pm

It sure is Leanne…sometimes with arranged marriages, there is no choice to walk out.

Geets
    April 9, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Just beautiful! More power to all the girls who dare to take their stand and know that it is them who are first before anyone else in the world!
    Cheers

Vinay Leo R.
    April 10, 2017 at 3:19 am

I think I’ve attempted ghazal just once, but it was nice to try. 🙂 Your poetry is quite beautiful, Babby.

Sreesha
    April 10, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Good for Ana! May all women in unhappy and violent relationships find her courage and get out of them. <3

Vidya Sury
    April 11, 2017 at 3:08 am

Bravo, Ana! What a mean guy! I see crime stories like this one all the time!
    I am loving your AtoZ series, Sanch.