Flourish Inside Out

Take pride in June

Pride is not an emotion you automatically think of when coming up with positive emotions. In fact, most references to pride are negative. It’s a deadly sin, it comes before a fall, and therefore we’ve been told for centuries it’s not good for us. But that’s exactly the positive emotion we are focussing on for June as part of Flourish Inside Out.

What is pride

Pride comes from feeling dignified and important in what we do. It is a sense of self-satisfaction of having accomplished something that is valued. It may come along from a sense of purpose and meaning in our accomplishments. (Source) Authentic pride is when you’re pleased with what you’ve achieved through hard work (Source).

Benefits of pride

• Authentic pride motivates you. Research has shown that people who feel this sense of pride will work twice as hard (Source).
  • It increases self-control (Source)
  • People who feel authentic pride tend to be more generous and empathic (Source)
  • People who feel a sense of pride value future gain and are more like to persevere through initial difficulties in order to achieve those future goals (Source)
  • Authentic pride promotes achievement (Source)

How to cultivate pride

• Focus on who you want to be as a person as opposed to what you want or what you need to do to impress others. Knowing your values will help you focus on your goals and take pride in what you then do as a result (Source)
  • Keep reminders for yourself to keep working towards the best possible you (Source)
  • Focus on hard work rather than natural ability. You are more likely to feel proud when you work for something than if you were just born with it (Source)

My plans for feeling proud

• Notice what I accomplish at work
  • Figure out my life plan and start to set reminders to become a better me
  • Write more
  • Self-publish that poetry book this month
  • Start working on my novel
  • Submit a poem to a magazine/competition

I will continue to share photos on Instagram as part of #FlourishInsideOut. Some will focus on pride, others on just good things that happen. You are welcome to join in or just follow my journey.

How do you feel proud of yourself?

Do share!

18 Comments

Rachna
    June 4, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Very interesting. A way to reiterate one’s respect for oneself. I take pride in the kind of person I am, my work, my honesty, my commitment, my ability to give, my children and my abilities among others. Will follow your pictures on Instagram.
    Rachna recently posted…Review of Littleapp WebsiteMy Profile

Rachna
    June 4, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Rachna recently posted…Review of Littleapp WebsiteMy Profile

Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710
    June 5, 2017 at 5:02 pm

You rock, girl! All the best for self-publishing your poem collection. And yes, I’ll be following your Instagram closely too! Hugs ❤?
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…Let’s save the environment!My Profile

Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710
    June 5, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Lata Sunil
    June 5, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I am proud of myself to have been financially independent ever since I graduated. It means a lot to me. I have been following your journey and every time I feel you are few steps ahead.

Lata Sunil
    June 5, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Rajlakshmi
    June 5, 2017 at 6:36 pm

I loved the theme of your series -FlourishInsideOut. The title itself is enough to make one look for better and brighter aspects in life. I wish you good luck in achieving all your goals. It is also my dream to publish a book of poetry, but I haven’t really started working towards it.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…The Hair ProblemMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    June 5, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Rajlakshmi recently posted…The Hair ProblemMy Profile

Shantala
    June 6, 2017 at 6:44 am

I completely agree. Pride is a very misunderstood term.

Also, I hope you are able to get your poetry collection published this month. Best of luck!
    Shantala recently posted…Blogger Version of Existential Crisis #ChattyBlogs – June LinkyMy Profile

Shantala
    June 6, 2017 at 6:44 am

I completely agree. Pride is a very misunderstood term.

Mahati Ramya adivishnu
    June 6, 2017 at 7:29 am

Interesting article Sanch. As you said, most of us think of pride as a negative emotions. But, of course feeling pride for hard work is great.
    Mahati Ramya adivishnu recently posted…Sand dunes under Snowy mountains – Alamosa, CO, USAMy Profile

Mahati Ramya adivishnu
    June 6, 2017 at 7:29 am

Ramya Abhinand
    June 8, 2017 at 11:54 am

What would really push me to take pride in myself is looking back at all the achievements. YEs having a goal in place, sure does weed out a lot of negativity and helps stay focussed, but a fear lurks within me sometimes what if I aint able to meet these? But surely I keep going and that helps me in my pride too!!!

Ramya Abhinand
    June 8, 2017 at 11:54 am

Sreesha
    June 8, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Absolutely agree! This is something I’ve always believed, even though, yes we’ve been taught pride comes before a fall and all that. Of course, I think people associate it with conceit or vanity, but there’s definitely this positive reinforcement side as well and that’s what we must focus on.
    Best of luck with the plans! 🙂
    Sreesha recently posted…A Letter To Your Restraint, From Mine…My Profile

Sreesha
    June 8, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Best of luck with the plans! 🙂
    Sreesha recently posted…A Letter To Your Restraint, From Mine…My Profile

Tarang Sinha
    June 13, 2017 at 6:54 pm

It’s an interesting and positive take on pride. I am not proud of my achievements (If I can call it) because I feel that I could have done better as sometimes, don’t try enough. I waste a lot of time. But, I take pride in what I am as a person – like I am not selfish. I may feel competitive but never jealous. I keep my words. I am very serious about my commitments. I am stubborn
    (People may think this it’s a negative quality but I believe it’s good to be stubborn). And, I find joy in giving.

Too much self-praise, I guess. 🙂

I wish you all the very best for your plans/projects.
    Tarang Sinha recently posted…The Curious Case Of Déjà VuMy Profile

Tarang Sinha
    June 13, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Too much self-praise, I guess. 🙂

I wish you all the very best for your plans/projects.
    Tarang Sinha recently posted…The Curious Case Of Déjà VuMy Profile