Out and About

Lighthouse to Skillion Coast Walk 2017 #writebravely

Last Sunday, 30th July 2017, I participated in the Lighthouse to Skillion walk with my friend K. I’d seen snippets of this walk when I moved up to the Central Coast last year and thought it looked interesting. A coastal walk and 27.5 kilometres sounded doable. So K and I signed up.

My mistake though, was not reading the finer details.

A map of the course

You see, all I knew about the walk when I signed up was that it started at Norah Head Lighthouse and finished at the Skillion at Terrigal. I knew the climb up the Skillion was steep and would be a killer after 27 kilometres of walking.

What I later found out — about a month before the walk — was that there was 16 kilometres {or more} of walking on sand. Yep. We had to walk on the beach.

If you haven’t walked on sand before, you probably have no idea what I’m talkng about but just take my word for it — it’s bloody hard! Soft sand especially, is tough on the calves and, as we found out, the hips. It’s hard to get a grip, your body is not aligned and it’s a battle walking at a decent pace.

K and I started at 7 a.m. and were greeted by a glorious sunrise. We hit the beach pretty much straightaway but luckily, the sand wasn’t too bad. Similarly, from Soldier’s Beach till North Entrance (about 8 kilometres), the sand was actually pretty good and we kept up a good pace. We then had the luxury of road and a path till The Entrance before going back on sand again for Toowoon Bay and Shelley Beach. After Shelley Beach, it was a bit of road, then the bush and fire trail till Wamberal.

We were doing well and were optimistic. But once we got on the beach at Wamberal, with only 5 kilometres to the end, it was a nightmare. The 3 kilometres from Wamberal to Terrigal were on sand and it was the softest sand ever! Most people were over the walk by then and it was a struggle to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Of course, we eventually made it about an hour later but I could have literally kissed the hard ground.

From there, the last two kilometres on solid group was bliss even though we were aching and tired. The climb up the Skillion ended up being a piece of cake because, you know, perspective!

We finished our walk by 1:30 p.m. and talked about registering again in 2018 but also trying to recruit others we work with.

The best thing though, was being out in nature, having long conversations, meeting our cheer squads along the way and just being present even during the painful moments.

It reminded me why I like hiking and being outdoors. It also reminded me I need to do it more often!

***I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words #6 Today’s prompt is ‘Feature a map and write about a place either real or virtual’***

28 Comments

Leo
    August 7, 2017 at 9:20 am

Hats off to you, Babby. I’m pretty sure I would not have made it all the way. And yes,I do know that walking on soft sand is very difficult.
    Leo recently posted…PiégéMy Profile

Leo
    August 7, 2017 at 9:20 am

Leo recently posted…PiégéMy Profile

Damyanti
    August 7, 2017 at 11:14 am

That’s a huge achievement. I doubt I could walk that much on a paved road!
    Damyanti recently posted…What Place Do You Remember? #WriteBravelyMy Profile

Damyanti
    August 7, 2017 at 11:14 am

That’s a huge achievement. I doubt I could walk that much on a paved road!
    Damyanti recently posted…What Place Do You Remember? #WriteBravelyMy Profile

Nabanita Dhar
    August 7, 2017 at 2:24 pm

It’s so good that you made it. Australia is so beautiful which makes it even more worthwhile I feel. Your and Rajlakshmi’s posts always make me miss Sydney so much.
    Nabanita Dhar recently posted…#MommyTalks | Being A Mom In The Age Of Social MediaMy Profile

Nabanita Dhar
    August 7, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Rajlakshmi
    August 7, 2017 at 3:25 pm

27! How do you even… That’s incredible. I really want to know how you prepare for such long walks. Is there any particular fitness regime you follow? Walking on sand for 16 km must be killing… I would have simply dug a hole a made myself a sand grave ?
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…When the Starks go homeMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    August 7, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Rajlakshmi recently posted…When the Starks go homeMy Profile

Shalini
    August 7, 2017 at 4:27 pm

I’m in awe! I cannot even imagine doing it. You are super-fit! Wow!
    Shalini recently posted…Winter is Coming!My Profile

Shalini
    August 7, 2017 at 4:27 pm

I’m in awe! I cannot even imagine doing it. You are super-fit! Wow!
    Shalini recently posted…Winter is Coming!My Profile

Balaka Basu
    August 7, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Reminds me of my last marathon..these things are addictive, when you start you are filled with speculations, however once you finish you just want to do it all over again…

Balaka Basu
    August 7, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Vasantha Vivek
    August 7, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Wow ….. Congrts … You made it,dear. Walking on soft grass and sand is highly beneficial to health.
    Vasantha Vivek recently posted…Cape Town In 6 Photos …… #WTFOW Day 3My Profile

Vasantha Vivek
    August 7, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Vasantha Vivek recently posted…Cape Town In 6 Photos …… #WTFOW Day 3My Profile

Apeksha Rao
    August 7, 2017 at 7:44 pm

I so envy your fitness levels. Glad you enjoyed the experience. Very inspiring. ?

Apeksha Rao
    August 7, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Sheethalsusan
    August 7, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Just reading about all the walk, makes my body ache. You are super fit woman!
    Sheethalsusan recently posted…Lost in MapMy Profile

Sheethalsusan
    August 7, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Just reading about all the walk, makes my body ache. You are super fit woman!
    Sheethalsusan recently posted…Lost in MapMy Profile

Team MocktailMommies
    August 7, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Take a bow dear…walking 27.5kms itslef seems so daunting… add walking on the sand and steep walkway… oh my my! Its not only test of strength but also that of tenacity!!!
    Wish you all the best for next year’s walk.
    – Anagha from Team Mocktailmommies

Team MocktailMommies
    August 7, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Wish you all the best for next year’s walk.
    – Anagha from Team Mocktailmommies

Ishieta@Isheeria's
    August 8, 2017 at 7:42 pm

wow! sounds like a beautiful walk, despite the challenges.
    Ishieta@Isheeria’s recently posted…A Map & a girl #wtfow #writebravely #isheeriaMy Profile

Ishieta@Isheeria's
    August 8, 2017 at 7:42 pm

wow! sounds like a beautiful walk, despite the challenges.

Alice Gerard
    August 9, 2017 at 1:51 am

Wow, what a beautiful walk. I have walked that distance in a day, but never on soft sand! Soft sand is very challenging. And, yes, I would actually do it, too!

Alice Gerard
    August 9, 2017 at 1:51 am

Ramya Abhinand
    August 9, 2017 at 4:22 pm

That surely a commendable thing. I get exhausted after 10 kms.. 27.5 is what you said????? Take a bow lady.
    Ramya Abhinand recently posted…The Paradox of ChoiceMy Profile

Ramya Abhinand
    August 9, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Ramya Abhinand recently posted…The Paradox of ChoiceMy Profile

Vinitha
    August 15, 2017 at 3:02 am

Wow! I don’t know how you did it, Sanch. 27km and 16 of that on sand! Way to go. I will not dare to attempt this, not even close. 😀
    Vinitha recently posted…If we were having coffee.. #FestivalOfWords #writebravelyMy Profile

Vinitha