Life

Walking away the woes #FridayReflections

Walking outdoors is soothing for my soul. Sometimes, I enjoy a stroll by the beach, listening to the waves crashing and the occasional laughter of families. I feel the grainy sand on my toes and taste the salty air. I hop on the rocks and pick up unusual looking shells. I stare at the rock formations and marvel at Mother Nature.

On other days, I like walking by the lake. The waters are still but the view is beautiful. There are people exercising – walking, cycling, running – on the path. Children play on the jungle gym and I yearn to join them. If it’s quiet, I sit on the swings, reliving my childhood. I notice the trees; some lush green while others a spindly brown. They create a canopy over the little bridge on the path.

Then there are those days where I set out for a walk in the wee hours of the morning. It is still dark apart from the few street lights. I make my way to the playing fields nearby while breathing in the crisp morning air. There is nothing but silence. The occasional walker or jogger passes by. We acknowledge each other knowingly, as only early-risers can. As dawn begins to break, so does the chirping of the birds and the laughter of the kookaburra.

Walking near water or early in the morning drowns out the cacophony in my head. The stress melts away. The what ifs stay at bay. The regrets take a break.

It’s all about putting one foot in front of the other and savouring the moments.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is ‘Cacophony’

Our prompt for next week, 11th August is ‘A sight for sore eyes’

6 Comments

Esha
    August 5, 2017 at 6:24 am

I love walking too. It is one of the best feelings when you step out into the open, with fresh air blowing into your face and you know you can just focus on being mindful of the moment, the here and the now!To me it is a hugely stress-busting method…never ever fails to work its magic on my heart, soul and body, of course. The bonus is that it helps me lose weight too. 🙂
    Esha recently posted…A treasure forever #WTFOW#6 Day 1My Profile

Esha
    August 5, 2017 at 6:24 am

Esha recently posted…A treasure forever #WTFOW#6 Day 1My Profile

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    August 5, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Walking is therapeutic for me too and I have a magical green oasis near my home that is mine for a while! Sadly havent gone there in a while…
    I loved reading about your thoughts/activities on this walk – you sound peaceful and worry-free! Keep it up!!
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…| Day-1 | A treasure that I cherish | WriteTribe – Fesitval of Words 2017 |My Profile

Sulekha
    August 5, 2017 at 7:18 pm

They say when you move your feet, your creative juices start to flow. Walking is a wonderful way of observing life, early mornings are best for introspection and contemplation.. I enjoy a good morning walk but am unable to wake up early due to sleeping late 🙂 Lovely post.

Ankita
    August 6, 2017 at 1:49 am

I have heard so many good things about walking, but I am not a fan of this wonderful habit. I beat myself up for not being able to enjoy it. However, when I am super angry or frustrated, somehow I find comfort in taking a walk in a park until my feet hurt. This way I trick my brain into thinking about the pain rather than the list of all the things that I have done wrong since my birth x-(
    Ankita recently posted…The Cure for Cacophony: Another Cacophony #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Lata Sunil
    August 16, 2017 at 5:53 pm

I love walking too. Typically, I go in the evenings. I do not use my earphones. I listen in to the sounds of nature and some inner thinking.
    Lata Sunil recently posted…Book Blitz : Avishi by Saiswaroopa IyerMy Profile