Life lessons

Courage over comfort #FridayReflections

People have told me a number of times how brave I am. How courageous. They tell me that when they find out I moved to a whole new country where I knew no one at the age of 21. They’ve told me that when I ended a relationship in my twenties and started dating again. They’ve told me that when I moved away from Sydney once again to a place I didn’t know anyone. They’ve told me that when I ended a relationship in my thirties – an age when everyone is either married or having babies.

Initially, I never thought of any of this stuff as being brave.

But over time, I’ve realised, it has all taken a lot of courage. And none of it has been comfortable to begin with.

They have all been tough decisions. With some, such as moving to Australia, I was excited but also extremely nervous. With others, especially ending relationships, I was terrified. Diving into new experiences and making new friends was just as terrifying but a lot of the experiences have either been worth it or taught me valuable lessons. The queasy stomach, the increased heart beat, the tight chest have all been uncomfortable to endure while meeting new people, going out on dates, starting new jobs or moving to new places but it has been worth it.

Being uncomfortable is a part of life. And if you’re not uncomfortable sometimes, you are not growing.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is “You can choose courage or you can choose comfort [but] you cannot have both” – Brene Brown

Our prompt for next week, 27th October 2017 is: Put your iPod on shuffle/turn on the radio to your favourite station – write a post using the song as your prompt. This is also the prompt for the Write Tribe Problogger Challenge

***Linking this post with the Write Tribe Problogger Challenge***

15 Comments

Corinne Rodrigues
    October 20, 2017 at 11:32 pm

You are brave to constantly step out of your comfort, Sanch. You better believe that about yourself!

Vinay Leo R.
    October 21, 2017 at 12:02 am

Yeah. To step out of comfort zone is indeed courageous. And I know for that reason that you are courageous. 🙂

I’ve done it very few times actually, but slowly making it more. 🙂 Better late than never, I suppose.
    Vinay Leo R. recently posted…Comfort or courage?My Profile

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan
    October 21, 2017 at 12:24 am

It is definitely hard making such decisions when you see all around you enjoying the comfort of security – be it in relationships or the presence of family around and a land we know. yes, what you have done till now defeinitely takes a lot of courage

Courage over Comfort #WriteBravely
    October 21, 2017 at 5:44 pm

[…] I am taking part in The Write Tribe Problogger October 2017 Blogging Challenge  Also, linking it to #FridayReflections […]

Rohan Kachalia
    October 21, 2017 at 6:16 pm

The last line is the takeaway for me from this post. Sometimes, being out of comfort zone is highly necessary for the well being.
    Rohan Kachalia recently posted…Courage over Comfort #WriteBravelyMy Profile

Suzy
    October 21, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Not an easy thing to do to step out of one’s comfort zone. Well done you.
    Suzy recently posted…Birthday Cards … #writebravely #WriteTribeProBlogger #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Surbhi Prapanna
    October 22, 2017 at 1:02 am

Beautiful quote, yes! I also Believe you cannot be both at the same time (courageous and comfortable) and you had done it so many times in your life. really inspiring!

Deepa
    October 22, 2017 at 4:04 am

Completely agree..if you are not uncomfortable, you are not brave and you are not taking any risks in life. Kudos to you. 🙂
    Deepa recently posted…Pav bhaji with a twist and Nutrition tips #NutritionNicheMy Profile

Making a choice – Pragun's Panchtattwa
    October 22, 2017 at 4:17 am

[…] it to Friday Reflections All Pictures Source : […]

Prasanna Raghavan
    October 22, 2017 at 4:51 am

Yeah, courage is an end product of comfort. In that way, one is the flip side of the other. Or you can have both. Well written Sanch. 🙂

Ditch convenience to support sustainable lifestyle [ #writebravely ] - Shalzmojo
    October 22, 2017 at 5:12 pm

[…] Linking up with Sanch for […]

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    October 22, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Its brave to go out of your comfort zone- trust me been there dozens of times. Yeah I am also surprised when peeps say oh you are brave to live aloone or whatver; but you know what this is what I needed to do- so just did!!
    I am happy and proud to know another courageous soul and hope you keep this mettle through out your life!!! Cheers Sanch!!

Tina
    October 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm

You are a star for constantly coming out of comfort zone. The biggest courageous thing I have done is to quit my job and work on my own!
    Tina recently posted…Of internet Fads and people going CrazyMy Profile

Geeta Nair
    October 25, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Moving out of one’s comfort zone is indeed daunting and like you said accompanied by a queasy stomach, increased heart beat, etc. But ones you’ve taken the step you find it was not that difficult after all. Loved the way you have shared your experiences.
    Geeta Nair recently posted…MonsterMy Profile

Anami
    October 28, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Courage is must. It all is the matter of choice.
    Anami recently posted…MonsterMy Profile