Life

Hide and seek #FridayReflections

Have you heard hide-and-seek is apparently played competitively? When I heard about this last week, it made me laugh but also made me quite nostalgic. It was a game I played often during my childhood as well as into my teenage years.

There were so many different versions of the game. As a kid in Oman, I remember the seeker counted till hundred and we only had a certain width you could hide in. However, on spotting someone, you had to run back to the spot you counted, touch the spot and call out the name of the person. On the other hand, they could also go and touch the spot before you which meant you had to be the seeker again. While it was competitive and fun, it also meant some seekers wouldn’t move too far from the original spot in the hope that those hiding would eventually show themselves.

When I moved to Bombay, we called it ‘Stop-stop‘. Here, the seeker would count to either fifty or hundred {usually decided before the game} and then set out to find those who are hiding. Upon spotting someone, all the seeker had to do was call out their name and yell ‘stop’. {Sanch stop!} The seeker had to watch their back though as any of the others could come and tap them on the back, thereby making them seeker again.

I remember one time I was wearing a flowery skirt and green top and managed to hide in plain sight. I hadn’t had time to find a good spot and ended up crouching on the concrete covering my head. For some reason, the seeker at the time assumed I was just a random bush and didn’t ‘find’ me until much later. There were other times I hid up on trees or in ditches or else behind cars.

The thrill of trying to find a spot to hide and remain unnoticed never seemed to wane. Even as a teenager, it was exciting to find new spots and to feel like you’d outwitted the seeker. When we started playing cricket, we left the hide-and-seek to when we could no longer see the cricket ball. It made hide-and-seek a lot more fun but also enabled us to stay out longer. There were always rules though. You couldn’t go beyond a certain area, for one thing. And even though we tried for a while, you weren’t allowed to ‘hide’ right behind the seeker when they were counting.

Most of all though, hide-and-seek had the carefree attitude we all had at the time. We laughed, explored and were curious.

We were kids. And life was good.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is nostalgic. Use this word in your post.

Our prompt for 13th October 2017 is ‘Bated breath’. It is also the prompt for the Write Tribe Problogger challenge.

***Linking up this post with the Write Tribe Problogger Challenge***

30 Comments

Shalini
    October 6, 2017 at 6:17 am

Ah! Reminds me of the time when I played the game with my cousins. I hated it because I was always the seeker. Hihi.
    Shalini recently posted…My Old RoomMy Profile

How to use Instagram to Promote your Blog #writebravely #WriteTribeProBlogger - Write Tribe
    October 6, 2017 at 2:09 pm

[…] to the prompt, ‘Nostalgic’, you could also link into #FridayReflections hosted by Sanch Vee and Everyday Gyaan every […]

The Halcyon days of youth [ #WritingBravely ] - Shalzmojo
    October 6, 2017 at 2:48 pm

[…] linking it with Sanch for […]

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    October 6, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Ha ha!! This certainly brought back a whole load of memories!! I used to be actually bad at this game as I hated being surprised – I would get spooked and jump at every sound. It used to be called I-spy but we ended up calling is Ice-spice (kids have a way to turn things around na 😉 )
    And dhappa was the word used to go hit the one found and yes we used to smack very hard on the back of each other when doing so!
    I wouldnt play this game again for anything 😉

Nostalgic box full of “Life” itself – Pragun's Panchtattwa
    October 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm

[…] Linking to #FridayReflections […]

Bellybytes
    October 6, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I used to love this game too. In fact we played Hide and Seek in the dark too where the added advantage was that we could spook out the “den”. Lovely post that is truly reminiscent of childhood and nostalgia

Rajlakshmi
    October 6, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Hahaha it was so thrilling to find a hiding spot and be the last member to remain hidden. Haven’t played the game in years, over a decade and half. We used to play in a huge park after school. 😀
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…OMG! Look at these Cherry BlossomsMy Profile

Lata Sunil
    October 6, 2017 at 6:11 pm

We used to play a lot of hide and seek. We used to hide in the lift and keep moving to avoid detection. Once a group of boys hid in the trees and needed the mali’ s help to get down. But it was loads of fun.

Priya Bajpai
    October 6, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Ah! those days… I sometimes steal the moments and hide again with my kid and his friends. It was fun being a kid.

Suzy
    October 6, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Hide and seek was a fun game to play hot and cold was another one I enjoyed.
    Suzy recently posted…Nostalgic #writebravely #WriteTribeProBlogger #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Rohan Kachalia
    October 6, 2017 at 8:49 pm

This post has brought out lots of funny and nostalgic memories when I was a kid. And yes.. “Life was Good”, then. 🙂
    Rohan Kachalia recently posted…Nostalgic Memories – #WriteBravelyMy Profile

Anami
    October 6, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Truly said. “We were kids. And life was good.” Simply loved the line. Those were the days. It is been three years I played my childhood games. When I was in Goa (not a teenager though, but cant resist myself from playing.) we used to play such games, hide and seek, cricket, football, badminton, cards (uno), sitoliya (or laghori, which is played by seven stones piled up and aimed with a ball). Such a lovely post which surely takes the reader back to childhood memories.

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    October 6, 2017 at 10:27 pm

As someone who majored in anthropology in college, I am still amazed at the similar games children play. In New York City we played Hide and go seek, with some similar rules.
    The Unknown Journey Ahead recently posted…Nostalgic – #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Nostalgia Almost Cost Me My Marriage #writebravely #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    October 6, 2017 at 10:53 pm

[…] Sanch Vee  and yours truly give you one writing prompt a week to blog about and link to every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked in too. […]

Team MocktailMommies
    October 6, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Hide and seek is a game with lot of twists and turns till the seeker finds the last hiding person!
    I remember my elder brother bailing me out as a seeker. Most of the time, I would fail to catch all the friends in hiding. And before I would burst into tears, Big B would take the charge and be the seeker!
    You said it right, we were kids and life really really was good!
    – Anagha From Team MocktailMommies

Prasanna Raghavan
    October 7, 2017 at 12:13 am

It seems almost an eternal play. Sanch, you make me nostalgic about my primary school days and a big boulder on the side of it a convenient hiding place. There was a huge mango tree on the corner of the schoolyard, serving as the post the seeker had to guard while looking for hiding ones. In the school, it was a girl’s game but in the neighbourhood, it was unisex, the number of players being less.

Bhavya
    October 7, 2017 at 1:33 am

How can it be played competitively??!!! Lol
    I never used to like this game much because they would always make me the seeker. I like things when they are served to me directly, seeking stuff isn’t my business 😛

Vinitha
    October 7, 2017 at 3:21 am

You have showered me with memories, Sanch. How many times had I played this game! With my sister, cousins, friends at school, even today I play hide and seek with my kids. 🙂
    Vinitha recently posted…Goodbye September! #writebravely #WriteTribeProBloggerMy Profile

Deepa
    October 7, 2017 at 4:19 am

Your post took me back to my childhood days. We played hide and seek a lot as kids. Life was fun and so much better.
    Deepa recently posted…How I explain the significance of Diwali to my kidsMy Profile

Shalu Sharma Rathod
    October 7, 2017 at 6:00 am

I used to love this game as a child. In Gujarat we call it Thappo. Today if I look back, I can’t imagine going alone to those dark corners & hiding there for so long. I think growing up has made me a timid person.

Surbhi Prapanna
    October 7, 2017 at 6:58 am

Being a grown up, we always missed those golden childhood days, and your post has recalled me those carefree days. I had played a lot this time and wish to play it with again my kids ( they usually never get a chance to play those old day games. here in USA 8-9 month freezing cold restricted our outdoor fun.)
    Surbhi Prapanna recently posted…#Writebravely #writeproblogger – “5 Amazing Natural Blood Thinners for a Healthy Heart”My Profile

Shilpa Gupte
    October 8, 2017 at 1:43 am

Such a cute post, Sanch! Reminded me of when I used to play with my friends and yelled, “Dhappa” if I was the seeker and “caught someone”! 🙂
    I used to play with my Chikoo, too, some years ago. And, the guy with his smart nose would ‘catch’ me anywhere I hid!
    Shilpa Gupte recently posted…A letter to my younger self.My Profile

Ness
    October 8, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Oooh yes! I remember playing hide and seek like you describe. I also remember a game called “Redlight”. So good to remember those carefree times, as you say. I also love playing hide n’ seek with my boys, only problem is now I’m too fat to squeeze into the hiding spots I used to when my eldest was little! Oops! lol

Vinay Leo R.
    October 9, 2017 at 12:04 am

It was so easy to hide when I was smaller too. 😛 Under the bed, inside a drum, on the terrace… very difficult to spot 😉 We tried when we were in college, my sister and I, and twas so much more difficult. Nostalgia takes us to quite different places.
    Vinay Leo R. recently posted…NostalgiaMy Profile

Nostalgia | #Poem #Musings | I Rhyme Without Reason
    October 9, 2017 at 12:45 am

[…] This poem is written for #WriteTribeProBlogger challenge, inspired by the prompt “Nostalgia”. Also sharing with dVerse Open Link Night, Poetry Pantry and Friday Reflections. […]

Minakshi bajpai
    October 9, 2017 at 8:44 pm

It’s one of my favourite game of childhood. I used to hide in almirah or under bed or even in the bathrooms. 😜😜wow your post reminds me of many memories linked with this game. Its so much fun and thrilled game even i still plays this game with my kids.

Geeta Nair
    October 10, 2017 at 4:41 am

Sanch, those were the games that helped us bond with the neighbouhood children. Sadly that is missing in most urban areas these days.

My 20 month old grandson loves the game. But he knows just one place to hide in.
    Geeta Nair recently posted…A Battle Fought With A SmileMy Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    October 11, 2017 at 4:47 pm

This brought back so many memories, Sanch. We used to play something called ‘dark room’ too indoors. So much fun!

An Empty Womb #writebravely #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan