Life

One year of seachange

I moved up to the Central Coast exactly one year ago today. It was a big decision back then given I didn’t know anyone on the coast and had only visited the coast twice before that. I remember the anxiety of leaving all that was familiar and having to embrace the unknown.

I won’t lie to you – it’s been an intense year. There have been so many ups and downs that I’m amazed I’m still future-focussed. Adjusting to a new workplace with different expectations was just the start. The team I’m in though, is awesome. There are other things however, that are not as awesome at work but I’ve managed to cope to a certain extent. I’ve acted up as team leader for three months, seen clients weekly, exchanged banter with my team and supervised other clinicians. I’ve realised in the past month, I am actually burnt out and will be taking a week off in November for a staycation.

Living on the coast has meant I struggle with the fear of redback and funnelweb spiders, of the possibility of snakes in the backyard and the knowledge that living near scrubland and bush is a fire hazard. But I’ve also enjoyed living in a quiet area while still pining for my unit in Sydney. I love the beach is a five minute drive away and there are other beaches not too far away either. There’s also the lake which offers breathtaking sunsets where I’ve enjoyed several walks. And of course, I’ve loved that traffic is manageable and not as bad as Sydney.

The best thing though, has been the connections I’ve made up this way. From the people at work to the wonderful girls in my book club, to the girls and guys I’ve met up this way hiking, I’ve been fortunate. Unlike my other workplaces in Sydney where I’ve only made two other good friends in eight years, here it’s a different feel. I catch up with a few colleagues outside of work and they have been hugely supportive when I’ve been struggling emotionally. Unlike my bookclub in Sydney, some of the members and I have formed a bond outside of it and have caught up for dinners or the theatre or hikes. With the hiking group here, I’ve gone indoor rock climbing and had games nights.

I’m grateful for all this. And to be honest, I factored all these lovely people in my pros and cons list a month ago when a position came up back in the Sutherland shire. I seriously contemplated applying as I’d been looking for a job there for years. But then I thought about it and wrote down the pros and cons and you know what? As much as I miss the shire as a place, I don’t have any connections there. Sure, I have connections in Sydney but being geographically far away even within Sydney, I know I got left out of a lot of social gatherings in the eighteen months prior to leaving.

While I still haven’t connected with the Central Coast as a place and would like a bit more culture and cafes, I have connected with several people.

For that, I am truly grateful. And it’s why I intend to stay on for a while.

***Linking with Write Tribe for the Write Tribe Problogger Challenge, Denyse for Life this Week, Alicia for Open Slather, Mackenzie for MG and Corinne for Monday Musings***

24 Comments

Sarah Stockley
    October 16, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Oh wow, it all sounds completely idyllic to me. Sarah #mg

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      October 16, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Lol…it’s definitely not idyllic as there have been a lot of trials too but it’s growing on me 🙂

Anamika Agnihotri
    October 16, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Moving away from familiarity (people and places) is not easy but you are doing well Sanch. Living five minutes away from the beach and watching breath-taking sunsets, this sounds wonderful. I hope your staycation in November proves to be rejuvenating for you.

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      October 16, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Thank you Anamika 🙂 I’m trying to look at the silver linings for sure and it’s not all that hard.

Prasanna
    October 16, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Wow, shifting to another place requires a lot of changes but good that you have coped well. And happy to hear that you are doing well professionally. I’m in an IT job and the same place and same work can make you feel that you are in a rut sometimes 🙂

Soumya
    October 16, 2017 at 11:26 pm

This post sounds so brave you know? It is not easy to leave everything behind and start fresh in a place you barely know. And look how wonderfully you did it!

In a while, you’ll make all the right connections and it will be like you have always lived here.

P.S: A beach five minutes away from home? WOW!
    Soumya recently posted…Too Good For YouMy Profile

Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    October 16, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I think it’s always about people and connections, and if you’ve been lucky enough to make some good ones in the last 12 months, then that’s worth investing some more time in. So glad you’re enjoying your new location and friends.

Geeta Nair
    October 17, 2017 at 12:32 am

Change brings with a lot of confusion, misgivings, etc., etc., But once we’ve settled down we can’t help but love the change that life has provided us. But for it life can become monotonous.
    Loved your write- up and the pics. too.
    Geeta Nair recently posted…Agony Of A Free BirdMy Profile

Vinodini
    October 17, 2017 at 12:37 am

You seem to be in an ideal situation. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. It’s tough to bond with people at new places but once that happens there’s no looking back. And hey, I’d be enjoying the beach and lake in all my free time if I were you!

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    October 17, 2017 at 1:01 am

Wow! You had so many challenges to face and here I was thinking you are so lucky to be living by the seaside. Your group of friends and hobbies sounds very fulfilling and I think you have made a good decision on staying on. Being single in the city is just not easy and having a set of friends to hang out with makes all the difference. Its been years of single living for me and days like Diwali used to be tough for me! Not anymore as I have an amazing set of friends who make sure I enjoy out with them and the days just fly by with loads to do!!!

Michele Morin
    October 17, 2017 at 3:16 am

Change is hard, but good for you! You’re weathering it so well!
    Michele Morin recently posted…Nurturing Faith and Strengthening Family Ties Around the TableMy Profile

sulekha
    October 17, 2017 at 10:10 am

Sanch, I believe in living life to the fullest. There shouldn’t ever be a dull moment in life, of your making 🙂 It’s good to move out of comfort zones and make new friends. Life is all about change. The natural beauty around is you is a bonus and so are the great friendships you’ve developed in such a short time. I am impressed and a bit envious of you 🙂 Way to go…

Denyse
    October 17, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I congratulate you on your first year here and your decision to move and be brave. It was a big enough move for me to make with my husband and we knew parts of the Central Coast well but you have done it alone. Kudos to you. We are finding life here pretty good and thank goodness I have some excellent medical support since my cancer diagnosis. That takes us back to Sydney every so often but even though our kids are in Sydney as is my Dad we do not want to go back there. We are enjoying the northern end of the coast more than the southern end and one day, when we do buy will be somewhere here or even up Lake Macquarie way. I have made no friends but then again I have also tried a few volunteer things and found them more like ‘closed to outsiders”. I am happy enough to chat to someone each day when I am out and about and to continue my lovely connections on line. I am still up for a cuppa and catch up too! Thanks for linking up for Life This Week 40/52. Next week: With $1000 I would…
    Denyse recently posted…Raindrops On…Flowers! 2017.116.My Profile

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      October 17, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Oh yes, we do need to catch up. I’ve been booking myself crazy over weekends but have a week off in November so maybe we can line something up then. Interestingly, most friends I’ve made have moved from elsewhere. Lake Macquarie is beautiful! I do wish the coast had more cultural events though but I guess in time, it might.

Swati Sarangi
    October 17, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Life is full of experiences.We must never limit them in fear of consequences.. A very balanced write up. I liked it.

Su {Ethan&Evelyn} (@ethannevelyn)
    October 17, 2017 at 10:49 pm

It’s never easy to move away and there will always be challenges along the way, good luck to you. Su #mg
    Su {Ethan&Evelyn} (@ethannevelyn) recently posted…The #ExplorerKids Linky #10 (16.10.17)My Profile

Surbhi Prapanna
    October 18, 2017 at 6:01 am

Ohh! it is true that change is hard and I could easily co-relate with all the emotions you had expressed. I was also in the same boat when we moved from India to USA.

Rajlakshmi
    October 18, 2017 at 8:08 am

I remember the sunset picture… It looks absolutely gorgeous. Glad you were able to make new connections and find friends. Central Coast is so beautiful… And so peaceful… Apart from the usual fear of snakes and monstrous spiders 😀
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Words are all I haveMy Profile

Suzy
    October 18, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Glad the move turned out well for you. My son is also finding it hard to make deep connections in the city. He’s thinking too that he should move out of the city. I’ve been worried about him. Your post brings me hope. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Suzy recently posted…A new type of Meditation … #writebravely #WriteTribeProBlogger #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Mackenzie Glanville
    October 18, 2017 at 10:04 pm

I know it has been hard on you lovely. I am so happy you are finding more personal connections though, I think friendships can make a place home. Wishing you all the best in your continued adventure xx So nice to have you here #mg

Prasanna Raghavan
    October 20, 2017 at 5:12 am

I can see you’re good in coining new words. I have stayed years ago near the sea, in Kerala. We were all working ladies. The antisocials always take some pleasure in targetting ladies hostels. So the reason for our day and night fear hadn’t got anything to do with snakes and spiders lived around (they were decent) but some from our own species. Thanks for reminding me of those days. Be a go-getter and enjoy life.

Courage over comfort #FridayReflections - Sanch Writes
    October 20, 2017 at 10:29 pm

[…] I ended a relationship in my twenties and started dating again. They’ve told me that when I moved away from Sydney once again to a place I didn’t know anyone. They’ve told me that when I ended a […]

Deepa
    October 22, 2017 at 4:14 am

Moving to a new place has its own pros and cons. It’s not easy at all especially when you are moving to a place where everything is new and unfamiliar. My brother also moved to Sydney a few months back with his family. He keeps on telling me a lot of things about it and its a beautiful place. 🙂
    Deepa recently posted…Pav bhaji with a twist and Nutrition tips #NutritionNicheMy Profile

Anami
    October 29, 2017 at 12:01 am

Change is the only permanent thing. It is hard to relocate to a new place, but sometimes it is really worth.
    Anami recently posted…The Song UnsungMy Profile