Life

Burnout #FridayReflections

In a week’s time, I have a whole week off work coming up. And I can’t wait for it. You see, I don’t think I’ve told you all but I’m burnt out. I wasn’t planning on taking any time off this year and was relying on the public holidays between Christmas and New Year’s to recuperate. But then, a couple of months ago, I crashed. Emotionally and physically I have been wrecked.

My work is stressful but then systemic issues and also some personal stressors in September just made everything seem bigger and I finally broke. I was teary, irritable and swearing more than I normally do. Fortunately for me, my immediate team leader has been very supportive as have my colleagues. I told them all I was burnt out. My team leader told me to book some time off and I did. In this period of being burnt out, I constantly wonder if I should continue to work at the pace at which I work. I still love what I do but sometimes, I feel defeated by a system that doesn’t value it. So then I question my choices. Did I do the right thing by moving up here? Should I look for a different job in a non-acute setting? Should I consider private practice with someone? And if so, where?

There’s so many questions. So many doubts. And just plain exhaustion after all of that.

For now though, I’m looking forward to my week off.

A week when I can write to my heart’s content. When I can hopefully spend time at the beach if the weather decides to warm up. Where I can read. When I can exercise daily. And watch a bit of Netflix {not too much as it’ll distract me from NaNoWriMo!}. When I can cuddle the kitties. And work on the garden.

I’ve been burnt out before and it’s not a great feeling. I take on too much and fire all cylinders. And then, eventually, I run out of fuel. I’ve got to figure out ways to practice self-care even at work.

For now though, I’ll plough through another work week and then enjoy a week off.

Have you been burnt out? How do you cope?

Do share!

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is ‘Heart’s content’. Use this phrase in your post.

Our prompt for next week, 17th November is “Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of who we think we’re supposed to be and embracing who we are” – Brené Brown. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.

Quick note: I apologise for not visiting and commenting on all the blogs linking up this month; I will do so during my week off.

Image Source: Pixabay

13 Comments

Surbhi Prapanna
    November 10, 2017 at 9:30 am

No doubt self-care is must for to maintain inner peace and mental sanity. sometimes during hectic life schedule, it becomes really hard to carve out some quality time for yourself. I want to say one thing to you, you are not alone, most of us are with you.

Vanessa
    November 10, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I’m hanging out for the Christmas break for my down time. I don’t feel burnt out as such right now but like I might be soon and maybe I could somehow prevent it. Or maybe it’s just a few too many nights of crappy sleep catching up with me. I hope the week off helps you.
    Vanessa recently posted…Randoms 10My Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    November 10, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Writing is the best destressor known to people like us, Sanch. You’re a brave woman to undertake the #NaNoWriMo. Have a wonderful weekend of writing.

Bellybytes
    November 10, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Oh dear! You seem to have had a very rough year. Hope your break brings you back your energy.

Ness
    November 10, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Sorry you’re feeling stressed and burnt out. When I feel like that I try to not over schedule things and do simple things I enjoy like reading. This time of year can be crazy, let alone taking on NaNoWriMo as well! We must be nuts…

Enjoy the week off. I’m sure it will help. xo

Alana
    November 10, 2017 at 10:24 pm

I hope NaNoWriMo writing destresses you – my suggestion is to take the time and pour your heart into the manuscript – even use it as a sounding bouard to try to work out the pros and cons of what actions you want to take, through your characters/events. It may lead to a life changing event. I used NaNoWriMo once to help heal from a traumatic event in my life. Best wishes.
    Alana recently posted…Final Fall #SkywatchFridayMy Profile

Reading To My Heart's Content #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    November 11, 2017 at 2:53 am

[…] Sanch Vee  and yours truly give you one writing prompt a week to blog about and link to every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked in too. […]

Prasanna Raghavan
    November 12, 2017 at 7:55 pm

It’s nice to read you always find a way out of your burning heart contents. I considered joining NaNoWriMo, but then dropped fearing that might affect my novel that I’m busy with at the moment. But it’s good. All the best

Anagha Yatin
    November 13, 2017 at 12:26 am

You are not alone, there’s company for you. On the lighter side, even the year 2017 is burnt out almost, so ita gonna pass it on to a fresh start 2018.
    Change from the normal routine is a must for bringing in sanity when we seem to get burnt out. I do get my share of this feeling once in a while. I then just leave or drop whatever is on hands and engage myself in pursuits that brighten me up, like spending time with friends, going for long walks, spending more time with my potted friends, etc.
    Rest a while and then Run a mile, Sanch! I am sure you will bounce back to life after much needed break.
    I wish you all the best NaNoWriMo participation.

Natasha
    November 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Late in posting this, but then what the heck. Here goes. : https://natashamusing.com/2017/11/sometimes-touch-wow-blogadda/

For some reason assumed the linky closes by Monday.
    Chin up Sanch, this too shall pass. Good days will come smiling your way soonest. Hugs
    Natasha recently posted…“Sometimes When We Touch”: #WOW #BlogaddaMy Profile

Lindsay
    November 14, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Hey girl,
    I really really hope a week off is a nice recharge for you and that you’ll able to fully unwind and relax. I hear you about the burnout. Often around this time of year I’m feeling quite the same. That I need a break or I’m going to lose my shit, and you know, those kinds of things cannot happen. I’m just biding my time until more vacation rolls around January 1st. Thankfully I’ve got ten days off at Christmas, which I’m very much looking forward to.

Enjoy your time my dear. Xo
    Lindsay recently posted…Charlie Update – 4 months Post-opMy Profile

Ashleigh Mills
    November 20, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Sounds like you have a supportive boss which is important in that role.

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      November 21, 2017 at 10:24 am

It is…unfortunately, he’s middle management and those above him are not so supportive 😕