Life

Serendipity #FridayReflections

Today I had a final session with a client. I had been seeing them since December last year after they came to our service having deteriorated since seeing someone privately. They were a good client in that they took on board all the stuff we talked about and were open to graded exposure. We had been planning for the last session for a month and yet, today, it was bittersweet.

It’s always tough saying goodbye to clients who have worked hard through the therapeutic process and come out on the other side ready to take on the world. I know it’s a good thing because they are better. But it’s a strange feeling knowing I’ll never see them again. Never knowing how their lives have gone. It’s serendipity that brings us together in the first place because they could potentially be allocated to anyone. And sometimes, that works really well like in this case.

I’ve been working as a psychologist for almost a decade now. There are some clients I remember fondly and doubt I’ll ever forget. Usually they are the ones who hit me deep down my very core from the moment I met them. The ones I wanted to do everything for to help. Some of these were motivated from the start to get better; others told me that after three months of rapport building.

The therapist-client relationship is a special one. These adolescents trust me. They share their deepest, darkest fears with me. They share their innermost and raw selves. And I feel so, so honoured to be the person they trust.

My client today told me they couldn’t have got to where they are without me. And I am humbled. But in the end, I need to thank them. I need to thank them for being so brave. For opening up. For trusting me. For sharing their stories. For making me a better person too. And while it may be serendipity that brings us together, it’s the trust and belief that keeps the therapeutic process going.

For all the clients I realise I cannot help, I’m honoured I can help the few. I can only wish them well and let them go but being human, I will often wonder where they are in life.

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you one writing prompts a week to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

The prompt for this week is ‘Serendipity’. Use this word in your post

Our prompt for next week is ‘Heart’s content’. Use this phrase in your post

Image Source: Pixabay

13 Comments

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    November 3, 2017 at 7:43 pm

What a blessed work you seem to have – this is perfect to help out peeps! I envy you and it so reminds me of the movie Dear Zindagi – sigh! I wish I had a sexy therapist like SRK 😉

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      November 3, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I do feel quite blessed in my job and as much as I love writing, I would still be a psychologist for teens. It’s not easy work but I try and remember why I do it. And it’s for clients like these

😂 I did watch Dear Zindagi and while I no longer think SRK is sexy, it’d be hard to have a good looking therapist.

Mithila Menezes
    November 4, 2017 at 3:22 pm

It truly is a noble task to help someone get back on their feet. It feels good to know that there are people like you in this world, who genuinely care for their clients, and ensure that the best is only what they offer to them. Keep up the good work, Sanch ❤
    Mithila Menezes recently posted…I’m sorry I’ve been unfaithful to you, dear blog.My Profile

Ness
    November 4, 2017 at 6:10 pm

It must be hard being a psychologist at times, in the sense of being emotionally draining. How do you cope with not taking people’s issues home with you, for example? But it must be moments like this that make it all worthwhile.

Geethica Mehra
    November 5, 2017 at 2:27 am

I know, this has happened with me too. Many times people are helped by your behaviour unknowingly. And there comes the moment of serendipity.

10 things that made me happy {Week 38} - Sanch Writes
    November 5, 2017 at 8:50 am

[…] a final session with a client and feeling so lucky to do what I do after seeing how far they’ve […]

Life happens organically #FridayReflections | Mumbai On A High
    November 5, 2017 at 11:54 am

[…] participating in #FridayReflections hosted by Corinne and Sanch […]

Bellybytes
    November 5, 2017 at 11:58 am

Isn’t that the beauty of life ? Complete strangers walk into your life with complete faith and belief that you can help them! You must feel a sense of awe each time you help someone sort themselves out . Bless you Sanch.

Is It Serendipity? #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    November 5, 2017 at 7:15 pm

[…] Sanch Vee  and yours truly give you one writing prompt a week to blog about and link to every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked in too. […]

Akshata
    November 5, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Wow I dint know this about you- one cant help but forge bonds when you work so closely with someone. I often find myself wondering about some people I know I may never see again- wonder how their life will turn out to be, is this really the last meeting?

Natasha
    November 6, 2017 at 3:49 pm

You are working for such a noble cause. More power to you and your clients.
    Natasha recently posted…To Live with Gratitude: #WOW #BlogAdda #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Puja
    November 8, 2017 at 10:16 pm

I love the work you do,.. I am glad you chose this…

Burnout #FridayReflections - Sanch Writes
    November 10, 2017 at 9:15 am

[…] burnt out, I constantly wonder if I should continue to work at the pace at which I work. I still love what I do but sometimes, I feel defeated by a system that doesn’t value it. So then I question my […]