Reading Challenges

2018 Reading Challenges

It’s that time of the year when I start to set reading goals for the year ahead. I was quite successful and enjoyed the reading challenges in 2017 and 2016, so here’s hoping 2018 is a good reading year too! I’m keeping it simple and sticking to my favourite reading challenges. Without further ado, here’s are my 2018 reading challenges:

Erin’s Book Challenge 8.0

I love Erin’s challenges that run twice a year. This one is from January to April. Erin’s challenges have some quirky categories that force you to think outside the box a bit. I’ve managed to choose books I have or that I can find with ease at the library. You can join us in the Facebook group for this challenge.

• Freebie i.e. any book with 200 pages (5 points) – The Choke by Sofie Laguna
  • Book that starts with the letter L (10 points) – Little fires everywhere by Celeste Ng
  • Book with a (mostly) red cover (10 points) – Deranged marriage by Sushi Das
  • Book with a character’s name in the title (15 points) – Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman
  • Book from Book Riot’s 100 must-read books with plot twists (20 points) – Before I go to sleep by S J Watson
  • Book with ‘house’ or ‘home’ in the title (20 points) – The housekeeper and the professor by Yoko Ogawa
  • Book with an author whose first and last name have the same letter (25 points) – Braving the wilderness by Brené Brown
  • Book originally in a different language (30 points) – My brilliant friend by Elena Ferrante
  • Book where most action takes place on transportation (30 points) – Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
  • Book where the character has a debilitating physical illness (35 points) – Left neglected by Lisa Genova

Aussie Author Challenge 2018

Jo’s challenge is now in its ninth year. How amazing is that! Anyway, once again, this year, I am aiming for Kangaroo status which involves reading 12 books of which 4 are by female authors, 4 male authors, 4 authors new to me and at least three different genres. My list {which occasionally changes based on new releases} includes:

4 female authors:

• The Choke by Sofie Laguna (contemporary fiction)
  • Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth (historical fiction)
  • This house of grief by Helen Garner (nonfiction)
  • The fifth letter by Nicola Moriarty (contemporary fiction)

4 male authors:

• The meaning of luck by Steve Waugh (nonfiction)
  • The good life by Hugh Mackay (nonfiction)
  • Eyrie by Tim Winton (fiction)
  • The fall by Tristan Bancks (thriller/YA)

4 authors new to me:

• Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend (children’s fiction/fantasy)
  • A corner of white by Jaclyn Moriarty (YA/fantasy)
  • Remind me how this ends by Gabrielle Tozer (contemporary fiction/YA)
  • The Mapmaker Chronicles by A. L. Tait (children’s fiction/fantasy)

2018 Australian Women Writer’s Challenge

The premise for the Australian Women Writers’ Challenge is simple – to read books by Aussie women authors. Like last year, I am aiming for the Franklin level which involves reading 10 books and reviewing at least 6. I do get a bit sneaky with this one as I choose a lot of women writers for the Aussie Author Challenge and therefore, just have to add two more to the mix. My list includes:

• The Choke by Sofie Laguna (contemporary fiction)
  • Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth (historical fiction)
  • This house of grief by Helen Garner (nonfiction)
  • The fifth letter by Nicola Moriarty (contemporary fiction)
  • Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend (children’s fiction/fantasy)
  • A corner of white by Jaclyn Moriarty (YA/fantasy)
  • Remind me how this ends by Gabrielle Tozer (contemporary fiction/YA)
  • The Mapmaker Chronicles by A. L. Tait (children’s fiction/fantasy)
  • The Yearbook Committee by Sarah Ayoub (contemporary fiction/YA)
  • Tiddas by Anita Heiss (contemporary fiction)

Goodreads Reading Challenge

Like the last couple of years, I’m aiming to read 40 books. I don’t think there’s any point in setting unrealistic targets and 40 has been good to me the last two years so let’s hope it’s achievable this time around as well. You can follow my progress on Goodreads or else, on my sidebar.

And that’s it!

What about you? Are you participating in any reading challenges in 2018?

Do share!

14 Comments

Jo @ Booklover Book Reviews
    December 26, 2017 at 11:55 am

So great to have you back with us for another year of the Aussie Author Challenge Sanch! You have some excellent titles to look forward to in the reading lists above – Gail Honeyman’s Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine was one of my favourite reads of 2017 – enjoy.
    Jo @ Booklover Book Reviews recently posted…Books by Aussie Authors – 2017 ReadingMy Profile

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 26, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I’m really looking forward to the challenge as I do most years and I’ve heard so many good things about Eleanor Oliphant. Can’t wait to read it! 😀

Kala Ravi
    December 26, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Hey Sanchie, this is really an amazing challenge. Not only is it great fun trying to select books that match the challenge requirements but also motivating to read more as a part of a group. The books you’ve selected sound exciting! I should do this sometime! Wishing you the very best for all your reading goals of 2018.

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 26, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Kala…I do enjoy reading challenges. Pushes me to sometimes read books I normally wouldn’t read 🙂

Shilpa Garg
    December 26, 2017 at 7:34 pm

These are some great reading challenges and I am going to pick Erin’s Book Challenge along with PopSugar Reading Challenge!! Good luck with your reading goals of 2018, Sanch!

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 26, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Oh you should totally join Erin’s…it’s so much fun! Just checked out the PopSugar challenge too and if I wasn’t already doing Aussie Author and AWW as well as reading other books for my book club each month, I probably would have taken that on! 😀 Good luck with your challenges…looking forward to following your journey!

Shilpa Gupte
    December 26, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Wow! This sounds interesting, Sanch! All these books…it’s so tempting! WIsh you the very best and hope you enjoy this bookish journey in 2018!
    Happy new year 2018 to you! <3
    Shilpa Gupte recently posted…In memory of my mom-in-law. #FlavoursomeTuesdaysMy Profile

Soumya
    December 26, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Look how sorted you are, woman! Come, help me sort my life this way too 😀

Like I said in the previous post, I’m so awed by how you manage to do this. ‘Murder On The Orient Express’ is absolutely brilliant and I hope you enjoy it too. Read the rest and let me know if they are worth picking up because I’ll always be indebted to you for introducing me to Liane Moriarty 🙂
    Soumya recently posted…Reading Recap: 2017My Profile

Shalini
    December 27, 2017 at 6:02 am

That is just brilliant, Sanch. I had been on a reading break -never thought I wouldn’t be able to read books for weeks together 🙁 and this came at the right time. As Soumya mentioned, thanks to you for introducing me to Liane Moriarty, (I had read your review of The Husband’s Secret) that I have picked up yet another book of hers. I think I should take up Erin’s challenge. Happy 2018, Sanch 🙂
    Shalini recently posted…Destined by Rubina Ramesh #BookReviewMy Profile

Shantala
    December 27, 2017 at 9:16 am

I am at the point where I am dealing with a bit of reading fatigue, but your posts have inspired me to set goals for 2018. Thank you so much for that. <3
    Shantala recently posted…Quarterly Goals Update + Food Blog Sneak Peek #ChattyBlogs December LinkyMy Profile

Leo
    December 27, 2017 at 6:38 pm

I’ll try Erin’s challenge too, I think. Two doubts though… will ping you and get it sorted out! 🙂

Lovely reading year ahead for you, no? Happy reading!

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 27, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it! 🙂 And yay for you joining in!

Cyn K
    December 29, 2017 at 12:50 am

I’m tackling the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge for the third year (www.bookriot.com).
    Cyn K recently posted…waiting room bluesMy Profile

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 29, 2017 at 6:51 am

Ooh that sounds interesting. I may have to venture away from just these three challenges in 2019 I think