Writing

5 reasons NaNoWriMo 2017 was a win for me

nanowrimo

As some of you might know, I participated in NaNoWriMo this year in November. For those who don’t know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month where the aim is to complete 50,000 words in thirty days. I had participated last year and only got about 5000 words and gave up. This year though, I was determined to get more. I finished with 34,119 words on the 30th of November 2017. Although I didn’t technically win NaNoWriMo, I considered my words to be a win.

Here’s 5 reasons why NaNoWriMo 2017 was a win for me

I learnt to write almost every day

In November, except for one day, I wrote every single day. Sure, there were some days I only got one hundred words but there were some others when I wrote 2000 words. But the important thing was I just kept writing.

I learnt how to make time to write

Here’s the thing: as writers, a lot of us still have a life. We have other things to do. In my case, it’s a full time job that’s quite emotionally draining and mentally exhausting but I also work a couple of Saturdays a month. In addition to that, in November, I had social commitments which included dinners with friends, hiking, book club, movie nights with friends as well as exercising most mornings. So I had to learn to make time to write. I found myself writing in my lunch break in the car or alternatively, at a cafe or restaurant while waiting for a friend. I wrote on the train to and from Sydney. I wrote in a cafe while my car was having its brake pads changed. Bottom line was, I wrote whenever I could. My blog did take a backseat while I focussed on writing but I had to make choices.

I wrote through ‘writer’s block’

I have talked about writer’s block before and how it’s merely a form of self-doubt. The beauty of NaNoWriMo is to keep writing and even though there were several times in the process self-doubt reared its ugly head, I just kept writing as the goal was to get words down. I learnt that by telling myself it’s important to just write for now and edit later, I was able to persevere through the most abhorrent writing. After all, once the story is done, I can edit, chop and change. But without the story, there’s nothing there.

I learnt I’m a planner

When I tried NaNoWriMo last year, all I had was an idea and I tried to write. When I got stuck, that was it. There was nowhere to go. This year, I spent October plotting and planning. By that, it didn’t mean I wrote down every single thing. Rather, I planned what I wanted from my story, what the main arcs and conflicts were and I also outlined chapters with two to three points in each that I’d hoped to cover.

I wrote 34,000 words

At the start of November, I had zero words. By the end, I had about 34,000 more words. That’s a lot of words especially as the most I’ve ever written is 5,000. I totally consider that a win. Allison Tait has said several times before that any number of words you get down during NaNoWriMo is a win. Because after all, you had nothing before. And I can’t thank her enough for her wise words as they kept me going the entire month.

Ten days into December, I’ve written about 3000 more words and I’m writing most days. My aim is to finish this draft by the end of the year so I can spend the first quarter editing it once. It’s probably going to need a lot of edits but more on that some other time. For now, I’m going to enjoy this winning feeling.

Did you participate in NaNoWriMo this year?

How did you go?Β

Do share!

***Linking with Kylie for IBOT***

17 Comments

Jo Tracey
    December 12, 2017 at 8:49 am

That’s absolutely a win. It’s those habits that are what the real wins from nanowrimo are. Congratulations!

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 19, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Jo, I was impressed by how well you went and even achieved the 50,000 goal πŸ™‚

Natalie @ Be Kind 2 You
    December 12, 2017 at 10:37 am

Perfect. It’s so nice to achieve something that actually makes you feel good. Go girl.

Vanessa
    December 12, 2017 at 10:45 am

I’ve become less successful at NaNo as the years have gone on. I basically didn’t even try this year. But also, I don’t think not meeting 50k is a failure. I’ve usually come out with thousands of words I never had before. And new words are always a win.
    Vanessa recently posted…2017 – The Year of Extreme Finance and Insurance AdultingMy Profile

Fran Jorgensen
    December 12, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I find it really hard to slow down and make time for this. It’s such an important thing though … maybe if I just make it part of my routine …

Lata Sunil
    December 12, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Great Congratulations. This is what I want to do. Make time for writing and avoid all excuses. Need to do my personal NanoWriMo.
    Lata Sunil recently posted…Prem Purana by Usha NarayananMy Profile

Roshan Radhakrishnan
    December 12, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I count this as a success. Was following your progress on social media. I had participated in the first two Nanowrimos – that was back in 2005 and 2007
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…VLCC DNA Wellness – a revolutionary weight loss conceptMy Profile

Rajlakshmi
    December 12, 2017 at 5:39 pm

It sure is a win… You wrote so much even after a tight schedule… That’s very impressive. Hope we get to read your story soon. I have never participated in one, for the fear of running out of ideas midway. Maybe next I will plan and try it atleast once.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…The call of the voidMy Profile

Renee Wilson
    December 12, 2017 at 9:30 pm

You are amazing! That is very impressive indeed. I’m thinking of giving it a go next year, but am a little nervous. Is it suitable for newbies? #teamIBOT

Amy @ HandbagMafia
    December 13, 2017 at 11:51 am

Fantastic effort! I must do this next year!

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    December 14, 2017 at 1:08 am

Way to go Sanch- it sounds like you made writing as part of your breathing – a must do everyday!! Kudos on getting 30K words – its just awesome work!! Be very very proud of yourself!! πŸ™‚

Nabanita Dhar
    December 14, 2017 at 4:53 pm

It’s a win for sure. You did all this with a full-time job. Kudos to you, girl!
    Nabanita Dhar recently posted…#FeministMondays | Stop Body ShamingMy Profile

Soumya
    December 14, 2017 at 11:17 pm

34,000 words! That’s brilliant! Maybe I’ll do this next year, maybe.

You are a super woman, you know that? πŸ™‚
    Soumya recently posted…Cloaked In FireMy Profile

Dear Santa: The 2017 edition - Sanch Writes
    December 22, 2017 at 12:00 pm

[…] know if that’s the heat or end of year exhaustion speaking. I really want to finish my manuscript by the end of the year so a bit of a creativity kick would be nice for […]

Goodbye 2017 #FridayReflections #Yearinreview - Sanch Writes
    December 29, 2017 at 6:15 pm

[…] went better than I expected. I won second place in a local short story competition and also wrote lots of words during NaNoWriMo. I’m still continuing with the manuscript and hope to have it at a publishable standard by […]