Flash Fiction

An Education

It was easier at daytime, with light streaming through the window of his hut. He squinted at the page, laboriously sounding out one letter at a time.

A gentle breeze extinguished the last candle, smothering his dreams of an education.

(c) Sanch V @ Sanch Writes (6 December 2017)

Image source: Pixabay

13 Comments

Shailaja Vishwanath
    December 7, 2017 at 1:26 am

Sigh, this actually reminded me of the time when my uncle said they used to study by streetlights. Makes us realise how much we have to be grateful for. Even the internet, which we take for granted, today.

Poignant, Sanch.
    Shailaja Vishwanath recently posted…Rite of passageMy Profile

Laissez Faire
    December 7, 2017 at 2:59 am

I enjoyed the image of hunkering over dim light trying to educate oneself. Solitary, lonely, frustrating!
    If you wanted more words to play with prepositions like “at” and weak verbs like “to be” take up space.
    Laissez Faire recently posted…Yeah Write #84: Forward Unto Tomorrow ( #amwriting #microstory )My Profile

asha
    December 7, 2017 at 3:04 pm

This was such a vivid commentary on social disparity and access to education. Nicely done in 40 words.

Anusha Srinivasan
    December 8, 2017 at 2:07 am

I really liked the idea, it’s an important one that needs to be talked about. But I think ‘smothering his dreams..’ felt a bit heavy handed. 🙂

Nate
    December 8, 2017 at 2:45 am

I like how you answered Light One Candle with the blowing out of one candle. The student’s dedication is so clear with your use of words like squinted, laboriously and smothered.

IASoupMama
    December 8, 2017 at 3:08 am

I appreciate the student’s dedication, but was a little confuse if the student was working in the daytime with a candle or at night with a candle?

Sara
    December 8, 2017 at 3:24 am

Oh I have studied under a candle during power cuts in final exams but to imagine someone having to do it always is painful.Liked your take on the prompt.

lisa
    December 8, 2017 at 3:44 am

I agree with Nate! Also, I love your header–what a lovely design! 😀

Cyn K
    December 8, 2017 at 6:07 am

I like your choice of “smothering” right after the extinguished candle.

Michelle Longo
    December 8, 2017 at 6:15 am

This is a really complete scene. Well done.

Melony Boseley
    December 8, 2017 at 6:59 am

Ohhhh!! How sad! I want so much for him to learn. That’s the power of this piece, I connected with the character instantly.

Donna-Louise Bishop
    December 11, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Wow. Gave me a new level of appreciation. Thanks for sharing.