The Month That Was

Grateful in November

December is finally upon us and I enjoy it because it means it’s slightly more relaxing with all the public holidays. But this post is about the month gone by – November. My positive emotion for November was gratitude and while I didn’t practice it every single day, I have much to be grateful about.

In November, I didn’t blog as much due to commitments outside of the blog. My main focus in November was NaNoWriMo. While I didn’t ‘win’ it, as in, I didn’t complete 50,000 words, I managed about 34,000. And I’m pleased. It’s much better than the 5000 from last year and even though some of it may have to go, I have written it down.

On the blog in November, I reflected on how serendipitous my work can be in terms of the clients I get. I also mentioned about being burnt out and took a much deserved week off work. I also tried to bring you all up to date with my life whilst also reflecting on things that made me happy.

Off the blog, I continued to live my life. I had some lovely nights with friends during book clubs, dinners and movie marathons as well as hikes during the day. I exercised often – sometimes on my own, sometimes with friends at the gym – and also tried to eat right. On the last night of the month, I was also awarded my second-prize for winning a short story competition run in August by my local library. I won an iPad Mini but more importantly, saw my story published on their website as well as framed in the library for now. It was so exciting and I was humbled when some readers informed me they almost cried while reading it.

As we head into December, I am mindful how busy this time of the year can be. There’s Christmas parties to go to as well as being busy at work before things get a bit quieter at Christmas. I won’t be taking any time off but am looking forward to the public holidays. I hope to finish my novel this month and need to be disciplined so please expected word count updates as it helps me be accountable. Apart from that, I’m going to continue to enjoy friends, the beach, exercise and of course, the summer of cricket. And hopefully, I’ll be back here more often this month.

There was certainly a lot to be grateful for in November.

How was November for you?

Do share!Β

If you write a post reflecting on the month gone by, feel free to link up below:

17 Comments

Parul
    December 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Lovely to know that you had a rewarding November. So proud of you on that win. Must have been such a highlight.
    My month was a good or too – challenging in the right way at work and happy one at home πŸ™‚ wishing you a great December and yes, keep working out! You inspire!
    Parul recently posted…Gratitude List – November 2017My Profile

Sulekha
    December 3, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Saanch, congratulations on your prize winning story πŸ™‚ I love December too. Best of luck for your novel. Have a great holidays.

Debbie D.
    December 4, 2017 at 4:25 am

Congratulations on your short-story success and also for getting so many words written for NaNoWriMo. Wishing you a happy and healthy December!
    Debbie D. recently posted…THE HOLIDAY SEASON IS UPON US!My Profile

Rajlakshmi
    December 4, 2017 at 10:44 am

34k! Thats a lot of words. Kudos for being so disciplined in your writing. And congratz again on winning the prize. December is a busy time indeed. Hope you are able to finish that novel soon.

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 4, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Yeah I have surprised myself with the number of words and really hoping to finish this!

Rachna Parmar
    December 4, 2017 at 5:10 pm

That’s a very productive month for you in terms of writing. Congrats for winning the prize as well. Overall, you seemed to have had a pretty balanced November. And I think December will be wonderful as well.

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    December 4, 2017 at 6:24 pm

A big big big hug for the Story win- YAY!!!!! And yes seeing it framed and up on the website is a far bigger prize than anything else. I am super duper happy to read about your successes; you have managed to turn around so much good in your life in th epast few months; hope this streak continues and you find fulfillment in everything you understake. Heres to a blissful december to you gurl!! much love and hugs

Shailaja Vishwanath
    December 5, 2017 at 3:10 am

So very happy to see this, Sanch! I am so glad you stuck with this and saw the NaNo through. Life took over for me but to be honest, I also think I was a wee bit more invested in the blog this November so it’s partly my fault. The story and the drive isn’t ready yet for me. Perhaps its time will come.

And you, super congrats again for the win! So happy for you and yay, you made readers cry! Always a good thing πŸ™‚ Much love for a wonderful December πŸ™‚
    Shailaja Vishwanath recently posted…How I’ve gone without yelling for over 800 daysMy Profile

Pratikshya Mishra
    December 5, 2017 at 1:42 pm

November wasn’t much happening for me.. Studying is a lonesome task, especially when all the known faces are going back home, disappearing one after the other.. I decided to stay back with my roomie, in Hyderabad and prepare for the competitive exams here…
    Having one this month…
    But we did a bit of fun too, had a 3 hr outing to the traditional art and craft fair.. it was fun and relaxing…

I want to read the story .. please where can i find the links….
    Pratikshya Mishra recently posted…when eyes do the talking …My Profile

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 8, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Hi Pratikshya, I’ve linked the story in the post where I have mentioned it.

Studying can be quite a solitary task. Good luck with the exam! Hopefully you’ll have some downtime after that!

Modern Gypsy
    December 5, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Congratulations on winning a prize for your short story!! I’ve Pocketed it to read later. πŸ™‚ And congratulations, too, on a good run at NaNoWriMo! Sounds like you had quite a special November!!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…How to learn to read Tarot cards with easeMy Profile

Soumya
    December 5, 2017 at 6:45 pm

34,000 is really good, Sanch! Also, congrats on the win. I read your story and loved it, it had to win πŸ™‚

Your November looks so happy and positive. Wishing you a wonderful December as well!
    Soumya recently posted…A Break From Reading With The Book Lover’s TagMy Profile

Aditi Kaushiva
    December 9, 2017 at 7:58 am

I loved the story of Ranjini, the emotions portrayed so gracefully and her decision at the end! A well deserved win! Congrats on taking part in Nanowrimo and getting so much done. I never went further than 10k words in my last two attempts. Did not participate this time.
    Aditi Kaushiva recently posted…Life Lessons through Travels | A Roundup of 2017 #AditisPenMy Profile

Lindsay
    December 13, 2017 at 11:07 am

Well done and congrats on the short story win, that’s awesome girl! πŸ™‚ Not only that but what you accomplished for NaNoWriMo is impressive as hell.

I hope your December is a great one hun! πŸ˜‰ xoxo
    Lindsay recently posted…Sentence a Day – November EditionMy Profile