Poetry

masculine, assertive
earning, providing, fighting
chiselled, leader, petite, follower
caring, nurturing, forgiving
feminine, submissive
Woman

(c) Sanch V @ Sanch Writes (27 December 2017)

Dabbling in some Diamante for only the second time

Image Source: Pixabay

19 Comments

Shalini
    December 27, 2017 at 11:15 pm

I read your poem and was wondering why you decided to typecast men and women. Ah, the title! 😛 Beautiful, Sanch!
    Shalini recently posted…Destined by Rubina Ramesh #BookReviewMy Profile

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 28, 2017 at 6:13 am

Hehe…yeah the title is meant to be the giveaway. It’s so not how I view either gender as most of my writing so far has hopefully shown.

Cheney
    December 28, 2017 at 8:45 am

Very cool, I liked how that flowed from one extreme to the other. I have never heard of this kind of poem before, I want to try them all!

Margaret
    December 28, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Thank goodness for the title!

Nabanita Dhar
    December 28, 2017 at 2:54 pm

The strange thing is most times women are everything you mentioned there as stereotypical for males too but it always goes against her.

Wish we could change this thinking!
    Nabanita Dhar recently posted…My Top Reads of 2017My Profile

asha
    December 28, 2017 at 5:01 pm

I’m really pleased to see you trying some different styles and pushing out of your comfort zone. This was an interesting experiments. I’m curious to see how this would look if you added in some “blander” (less gender specific stereotypes) in the middle. I wonder if the transition from one gender to another would be more gradual.

Cyn K
    December 29, 2017 at 12:47 am

This form seems like quite a challenge. With the word limit/type imposed, each choice you make becomes so important. “Chiselled” was an interesting choice to use as a stereotype and pair with petite.

Shilpa Gupte
    December 29, 2017 at 2:30 am

That was an interesting concept, Sanch! I quite didn’t get it at first, but then reread it to get it right…
    I think women can also be described as all that the men ‘apparently’ are!
    Shilpa Gupte recently posted…The lessons I learnt from the year 2017.My Profile

Christine
    December 29, 2017 at 3:00 am

OK, this form is so intriguing. I’m going to have to try it out. I felt a definite tongue-in-cheek-ness about the whole poem, and maybe a little anger under the surface. Great use of a title to influence the reader’s perception.

MM Schreier
    December 29, 2017 at 4:51 am

I loved the visual look of the entire piece – the circular shape upon the page.

Something to play around with if you are inclined – I think Asha’s thought about more generic terms for a transition could be interesting. Or you could experiment with a hard break in the middle of the middle line – using a dash or asterisk or something,

I really liked that your title set us up for this – defining our expectations.

Nate
    December 29, 2017 at 6:20 am

I like how you used the title to subvert this very regimented poetic form. It definitely evoked some opinions from me!

Stacie Dalrymple
    December 29, 2017 at 8:07 am

The title is perfect. Otherwise, these descriptions make me mad! Good job on a difficult form. I’ve never tried to write a diamante before!

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      December 29, 2017 at 8:49 am

Oh trust me, they make me mad too as I don’t fit most of the stereotypes myself!

IASoupMama
    December 29, 2017 at 9:40 am

I agree — thank you ever-so-much for the title. Otherwise, I may have stopped reading mid-poem, which is saying a lot because it’ snot a long poem.

I’m intrigued by the form, may need to give it a shot!
    IASoupMama recently posted…Christmas TritinaMy Profile

Michelle
    December 29, 2017 at 11:20 am

I really enjoyed this piece. My first thought was confusion that you gave Man so many stereotypes that seem to minimize the role of women (I’m terrible about reading titles). And then I got confused. And then I got it. It worked really well for me. I was left thinking that all the words could describe either gender, and I liked the way you turned even my assumptions on their head.

Carrie Houghton
    December 29, 2017 at 11:42 am

The formatting is so clever!

lisa
    December 29, 2017 at 12:32 pm

LOVED this. I, like others, am intrigued by the form and glad to see you were brave enough to try it for the challenge.
    lisa recently posted…The Not So Silent NightMy Profile

Melony Boseley
    December 29, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Yes! You said it. Stereotypes are so cruel. Loved the way you played with them here.

Michelle Longo
    December 30, 2017 at 2:20 am

I like what you did here with this form.
    Michelle Longo recently posted…The Conquest.My Profile