The Month That Was

January 2018 Reflections

Hello readers! As we enter a new month, it’s that time I have a quick look at the month gone by. January was a bit of a weird month this year – while it was only 31 days, in some ways, it felt like it lasted about 200 days. And yet, just like that, we are one month into 2018.

What I wrote in January 2018

I finally finished the very first draft of my work-in-progress which I started during NaNoWriMo last year. When I say finished, I mean I’ve got the story out. I’ve realised I underwrite as I only have 40,000 words of this YA novel but I’m hoping editing and rewriting will change it. I’ve written a short story and drafted it once but it still needs a couple of edits before submission on Monday. I also wrote quite a bit of poetry this month including The Crush, Dying laughter, Darkness and light, and New Year’s Resolutions. I’ll confess I have a soft spot for The Crush and Darkness and light. It’s been nice to write poetry again.

What I read in January 2018

I finished 3 books in January and so far, am on track with the Goodreads challenge. Each book was wonderful in its own way. Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth was for my book club and a fascinating read; Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman gave me all the feels, and Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng had me mesmerised.

On the blog in January 2018

I chose my word for 2018 – it’s CREATE, in case you missed it. I shared some of my reading habits and each week, I reflected on things to be grateful for. Apart from these, I mainly wrote poetry and book reviews.

Health in January 2018

I started the first day of the new year with a session at the gym. It wasn’t a new year’s resolution as I had been exercising regularly towards the end of last year too. I was able to keep it up and exercised five to six times until this week when I was hit with the flu. My eating has been okay. I’ve meal planned and stuck to eating healthy most of the time except when out with friends. I have gotten stronger and slightly more toned even if I haven’t lost much weight.

Life in January 2018

January felt quite busy although I’m not sure it was. I went on a couple of hikes, spent a lot of time at the beach {it is summer!}, socialised a lot with friends from work and book club as well as some from Sydney, saw a couple of movies at the cinemas, laughed a lot, cried a little, got extremely frustrated at work, and also felt like I was doing something valuable with my clients. In January, I turned 34 and tried to have a low-key birthday. There were lots of lovely and memorable moments in the month as well as some quiet and introspective ones.

Highlight of January 2018

My birthday – it wasn’t advertised on Facebook or anywhere because I just wanted it to be low key. It’s always lovely getting calls from my sister and parents but when my friends from work found out thanks to my mum posting something on Facebook, they made a big deal of it and I was truly touched. It’s not the birthday itself that’s the highlight but the connections through work and the book club and then celebrating with these lovely people.

Lowlight of January 2018

Falling sick with the flu earlier this week – who gets the flu in summer? I’m still nursing a cough and stuffy nose and hope it passes soon.

Lessons from January 2018

Life will have frustrating moments and while it’s important to acknowledge and process the emotions associated with those, it’s just as important to look at all the things to be grateful for. It truly does start to change your mindset.

That was my January in a nutshell. And now it’s time to open arms for February!

How was your January?

***Linking with Mackenzie for A blogging good time and with Kristen and Gretch for What’s new with you***

Featured Image: Pexels

13 Comments

Leo
    February 1, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Happy to see you write poetry regularly, and happy to read it too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am trying not to be partial to any one, of course. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Book-wise, I’ve had a good month. Not expecting every month to be the same though. ๐Ÿ˜€ So 4 a month from now seems excellent. Hopefully more, but at least that much. I’ve added Little Fires Everywhere and Eleanor Oliphant to my TBR based on your reviews.

Hope the flu eases soon. I’ve had a tiring last week too ๐Ÿ™
    Leo recently posted…AfraidMy Profile

Sanch @ Sanch Writes
      February 1, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Haha…I know you’re not partial! ๐Ÿ™‚ I know you’ve had an awesome month for books! That’s like half my year almost. ๐Ÿ˜› Hope you get some rest and stop watching games so late into the morning.

Karen, the next best thing to mummy
    February 1, 2018 at 10:18 pm

I am always happy to see the back of January because it means we are a month closer to spring and some decent weather hopefully #blogginggoidtime@_karendennis
    Karen, the next best thing to mummy recently posted…Messy playMy Profile

kathy @ more coffee, less talky
    February 1, 2018 at 11:01 pm

yikes, hope you’re getting better from the flu. it seems that the flu and noro virus is on a warpath in my city. noro already hit our house and thank goodness the flu has kept away.

i’ve been waiting for Little Fires for MONTHS and i’m #49 at my library….so at this rate I’ll be able to read it next year #rage

SHALINI BAISIWALA
    February 2, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Month of Jan just whooshed past me like anything and was a happy and fulfilling month. I can see your was full of love and life too; despite the bit of flu! I am planning to stay on track with my reading too and hope to complete 50 books this year – fingers crossed.
    Meal planning is somehting that I really need to do but just cant get my hear around it and every morning am a mess when I have to figure out what to cook!!

Sulekha
    February 2, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Sanch, happy birthday to you ๐Ÿ™‚ My birthday was in Jan too, I turned 54 :)) Hope you feel better soon and the flu is a thing of the past. My January was action packed too, both me and my husband celebrated our birthdays in this month. I read 10 books out of the 45 for the Goodreads challenge. This is courtesy my new Kindle, a gift from my other half ๐Ÿ™‚ I am enjoying our Wednesday verses prompts and poetry. You write beautifully.

Suzy
    February 2, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Belated birthday wishes. I hope you are feeling better now. I love your word for 2018. Will look forward to reading about your creations.
    Suzy recently posted…January Gratitude … #GratitudeCircle #MicroblogMondays #MondayMusings #openslatherMy Profile

kristen
    February 3, 2018 at 8:12 am

bitter greens has been on my TBR for years, glad you liked it. i really enjoyed eleanor oliphant as well. ugh sucks you were sick, i swear i get the flu more often in the summer than the winter. very rude. happy belated birthday! i almost cried when the girls from work made a big deal about my birthday last year. very sweet!

Obsessivemom
    February 3, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Flu in the summer is terrible because you just aren;t supposed to be down with a cold when it’s so hot outside. I hope you’re better now. Other than that it seems to have been a deceit month for you. Belated birthday wishes. I read some of your poetry and I’m glad you’re back to it. I loved The Crush too.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Good mornings are made of theseMy Profile

Kristen
    February 5, 2018 at 6:03 am

I love the categories you used to break down your month. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think it’s amazing that you’ve been writing so much! I love creative writing, but it’s not something I’ve been prioritizing lately. It’s always inspiring to see another person actively working on creative writing projects.

I hope you’re feeling better! Also, happy belated birthday! ๐Ÿ™‚

ShootingStarsMag
    February 5, 2018 at 11:58 am

Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry about coming down with the flu. I got strep once during the summer and I was all “what the actual heck?” lol I hope you’re feeling better. That’s great you finished your draft. I need to get back into personal writing this year – by personal I mean, not the blog but fiction writing. hah

-Lauren
    ShootingStarsMag recently posted…Glossies Made Me Do It: Name Your Memoir!My Profile

Anamika Agnihotri
    February 6, 2018 at 3:49 pm

You had a good January barring the flu. I hope you are feeling much better now. Belated happy birthday to you. Great going with the writing. Wishing you a happy February.
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…A queer joke and pet talks #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Gretchen
    February 15, 2018 at 11:12 am

I love how you laid this out..it’s a great way to stay organized and see what you’re up to every month! Happy belated birthday and thanks for linking up ๐Ÿ™‚
    Gretchen recently posted…Frugal February : Free Fun!My Profile